“Best Fish and Chips in London”
Review of Nautilus Fish

Nautilus Fish
Ranked #3,160 of 24,242 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$0 - US$53
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This may well be the best fish an chips restaurant in London. Huge portions both of fresh fish (plank, sole, haddock, ... you name it) either fried or broiled, either filet or steak type cuts. The "chips" -- thick French Fries are also most plentiful. You can even get shad roe...about the only place I've ever managed to order them outside of a few Boston fish restaurants. Good beer also.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have lived in Hampstead for 50 years and have been a regular customer of Nautilus for many years. I am always greeted as a friend and cannot recommend the freshness of the food more highly. It is a no nonsense old fashion fish and chip shop and restaurant.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Big portions of always fresh fish, fried in matzo meal or grilled. This place has served some of London's best fish & chips for over 30 years but quality not quite what it once was. We have twice recently been served fish with a big pool of oil under it on the plate which we had to mop up with paper napkins & another time we arrived not long before closing & chips seemed to have been refried & were basically inedible. Basic but adequate choice of drinks, with wine & beer quite pricy, as are side dishes. Tomato ketchup & other table condiments now of the poorest quality. Still worth eating here but would be a shame if standards were allowed to slip any further.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

When I attended college in Hampstead back in the late 1970's, we lived up the road from the nautilus, and I used to go there most evenings for a serving of chips when they did the last fry. We have made a point of going back there every time we visit London, and I have never been disappointed. The only warning would be that the fish portions are very generous and you may not be able to eat it all! My only suggestion to them would be to offer more options for wine.

Excellent value for money and friendly family service. If you are in London and looking for fish and chips, you will not be disappointed! (Note if you do not want your fish fried, they grill it perfectly as well).

1  Thank JGF_Nassau
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I had my best fish and chips ever at nautilus. The fish was very tasty and the batter crunchy but not greasy. The chips tasted like potatoes, they really looked like they were home made. I was impressed on the quality of the food.

The atmosphere is nice and stuff very friendly. It might not look great from the outside but definitely worth going in. I look forward to going back again.