“Nice atmosphere, terrible food and service”

Bentley's Oyster Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Bentley's Oyster Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #382 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$12 - US$65
Cuisines: Seafood, European, British, Soups
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Transit: Underground Piccadilly or Green Park stations.
Description: The sensitive restoration of this famous restaurant has retained many original features of the building and the spirit of Bentley's original arts and crafts heritage has been preserved in the carefully thought-out choice of furnishings, fabrics and wallpapers. American oak flooring, light wooden panelling and the reframed old Bentley's fish paintings all add to the relaxed air of calm, understated luxury. Bentley's has its own bakery and patisserie and sources all ingredients, such as smoked salmon from Frank Hedderman in Ireland and finest West Cork beef, from some of the best producers in the business. Deliveries arrive fresh in the kitchen every day.
New York City, New York
“Nice atmosphere, terrible food and service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

There are far too many wonderful restaurants in London than to spend exorbitant amount of money unnecessarily at this restaurant. Don't be fooled by the decor and the smiles of the restaurant manager and servers. Service was terrible, food was terrible and after spending almost$3,000 for our group of 10, they wouldn't even pay the dry cleaning bill I submitted after their server spilled red wine all over me. It wouldn't have even been bad had they not promised to take care of my clothes in front of their other patrons then reneged on their promise.

• Visited May 2014
GeneralManagerLondon, Manager at Bentley's Oyster Bar & Grill, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and leave your feedback. It is interesting that your original review and direct correspondence made no mention of your dissatisfaction with the food and service, to the contrary our distinct impression was that if it weren't for this unfortunate accident your experience would have been a positive one?

Despite caution and training, accidents do happen from time to time and in this instance as well as any others, we will happily cover any dry cleaning costs, in line with the policy already explained to you. The request to replace your 'Prada' shoes is quite a different matter and I feel it's important that readers of this forum are fairly informed.

We are truly sorry that this accident occurred and if get the chance to one day take us up on our humble gesture of apology we'd be delighted to try and put things right given the opportunity.

• Turkish first
San Diego, California
“Not that great.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

The seafood and oysters are very good. The service is efficient but not personal or friendly, especially during busy hours.There´s something about this place that´s a bit cold. It´s also quite pricey. If you seat outside be prepared to the occasional swampy smells. I´ve been here a couple of times but I´m not sure I want to be back.

• Visited May 2014
St Albans
“Superb food, outrageous prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Had the most amazing food today for lunch at this restaurant. Sat at a table outside and they kindly turned on the heaters when it got a bit chilly. Service was very attentive and friendly.
I can't praise the food highly enough- had the crab and mussel spicy soup that was just fantastic. Also the Hake special was scrummy and the deserts fantastic.

My friend was just as pleased with his food.

Then the bill came- £208 for 2 people plus a compulsory 12.5% tip!!!
I guess the moral is certainly don't choose an expensive wine or have an aperitif as we did!!

I must recommend it highly for the food but I definitely won't be back at those prices. Shame.

• Visited August 2014
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Delicious food and great location and decor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

I can't work out whether our young (French?) waiter (was he the maître d' ?) was just in a bad mood on the day or whether that's his general approach to life. I certainly didn't find him friendly (unless his sense of humour is several degrees drier than mine). He seemed to be ordering his staff around like they were machines and our mood was not improved by him having a bit of a spat with the barman over something - this you do not do in front of your clients! That's the bad news - and why I cannot give a 5. In all other respects - and yes it is expensive - the food was wonderful.

Bentley's is just a few steps from Piccadilly Circus and the middle of Regent Street - so it's very central - but it is down a bit of a back street so you'd probably have to know it's there.

I've eaten here a few times on my own in the past in the heady days when I was able to charge it to company expenses! So, I had to be quite sure that my wife and our teenage daughter would like it too. I do appreciate that, after a long shopping day and dressed in 'fatigues', we were still welcomed to sit in the bar area on the ground floor to eat alongside the suits and dresses! I do love the old-fashioned, classic but cosy atmosphere of the downstairs area (you can eat at the bar too).

Now to the food - as befits a top seafood restaurant the a la carte menu is topped up with a few specials of the day and we chose a mix from both. I can say that my lobster bisque with brandy and the fish pie were delicious and have it on good authority from my wife that her oysters and john dory were too. My daughter seemed to enjoy her market fish (can't remember what!). I always baulk a little at having to pay extra for each portion of vegetables (Bentleys being by no means the only restaurant to do this).

I also have a thing about the so-called "discretionary service charge" of 12.5% (again not uncommon) - especially when the service (see first para) wasn't up to expectation but, on this occasion, my wife didn't want me to challenge it. But the thought of laying down GBP24 in cash as a tip would have been tough to swallow. Total bill then - including an excellent bottle of Sancerre - came to just under GBP216 for the three of us.

Would I go back? Definitely - and I will. The food and wine were top-notch and I always have liked the general feel of the place. But next time I might just check who's on duty just in case my friend is still there and, if so, pop next door to the Argentinian or Veeraswamy!

• Visited July 2014
Glasgow, UK
“Back again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

There is something wonderful about knowing that you can go back to a restaurant time after time after time and still experience the same great food and amazing service.
We will be back.