“The Wandsworth branch is excellent, Liverpool Street only OK”

Ekachai - Liverpool Street
Ranked #4,653 of 23,242 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$14 - US$27
Cuisines: Malaysian, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: City of London
Description: Established in 1999, we specialise in South East Asian food with a strong focus on Thai, Malaysian and Cantonese dishes. Using traditional recipes and quality ingredients, our simple aim is to deliver the real taste of Asian street food in a relaxed and casual environment.
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I have been to the Wandsworth branch next to Cineworld in Southside many times over the years so this review is overdue. It is near perfect pre cinema eating....generous, delicious and excellent value. Even with the proliferation of new places to eat in Southside it is still my favourite. Strangely when I went to the Liverpool Street branch a couple of years ago you paid more for less food. 5 star review for Wandsworth.

There are newer reviews for Ekachai - Liverpool Street

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Having dined at Ekachai for the past 15+ years I was shocked yesterday by the new decor which doesn't suit people with disabilities, especially if you like me have spinal problems. You either have benches or very old school metal chairs. Service was even worse, 1st the waitress didn't understand english very well and we had to have a 2nd person tell us that they would NOT make us a noodle dish as an extra starter. They have on menu as a main and could easily have halved for a starter but no. Then you are still finishing you last mouthful and my friend was still eating when my plate was whisked away (although this was still a bug bear before the change) and now even more irritating, with only 7 diners at the time and 3 waiting staff there was time for us both to finish. No relishes bought to table, no asking for new drinks orders or anything else Once we had both finished we waited and waited (20 minutes) and we couldn't get the attention of the dolly day dream waitress (with little english) who was staring into thin air and not once did anyone ask if we needed anything, I finally got someone's attention and mouthed "coffee" and we got the bill instead, so clearly they didn't want to serve us anymore so we left and we didn't give a tip because they didn't deserve one. From one of my favourites haunts in the city to I'm not sure I want to go there anymore. It appears to have changed hands and it has clearly missed the mark. They obviously want the lunch time get them in and out and don't want diners in the evening. Nasi Goreng only very average (Squid) could have bounced from hear to London Bridge - SHAME

Ekachai_HQ, Owner at Ekachai - Liverpool Street, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Hi, we're very shocked and disappointed to hear about your experience. Could you please contact us at info@ekachai.co.uk as we would like to investigate this further for you

Reviewed 18 February 2014

After a long absence, I went to Ekachai for lunch with a friend.

The food was okay but I felt the standard fell from the past. Just good for a quick lunch.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Just had lunch at Ekachai, great service, wonderful food, clean an efficient. Would highly recommend.

1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I've eaten here a couple of times, but not sure I'll be going back. Although the food is pretty good, the service is poor - staff are very rude, trying to hurry you through even when they are not that busy. No flexibility and no charm.