“Hidden Japanese gem in Oxford circus”
Review of Sakanatei

Sakanatei
Ranked #8,045 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Oslo, Norway
“Hidden Japanese gem in Oxford circus”
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

I have eaten at many sushi restaurants around the world, including Japan. This restaurant is quaint and simple. Nothing about this place says fancy or high end. It is hidden on Maddox st. If you blink you would miss it. And the signage from the street would not attract anyone who is not familiar with this restaurant because all other restaurants in the area have much more noticeable signage.

I am still not sure why I even decided to come inside, I guess I was that desperate for sushi. Even when you look at the menu from outside, the prices are a little high. As I stood outside debating if I should enter, I looked inside at the staff. I knew they were all Japanese and knew they had pride in both their professions and their establishment from the way they so carefully and attentively did all their tasks inside the restaurant. I also noticed that the other customers inside we're people who seemed well rounded and interesting. I decided to enter. This restaurant turned out to be a magical experience. The environment of the restaurant makes you feel like you we're in a small Japanese town family restaurant. The sushi was remarkable. Every single piece was carefully cut and tasted remarkably. You do not need wasabi or soya for this sushi. The other customers are people with a passion for sushi and who have travelled the world and know of fine restaurants. It is a classy place with delightful food and a cozy enchanting atmosphere. I would highly recommend this place.

• Visited June 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Itsu prices with authenticity”
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I ate here for the first time last week with a friend. Hidden away in Maddox Street it is 5 minutes walk from Itsu in Hanover Square. Friendly greeting and plenty of room downstairs where you can sit and enjoy authentic Japanese food. I had the tempura/sashimi set meal and miso soup. It was delicious and relaxing. The sashimi was identical quality to itsu (average) and tempura was crisp, light and tasty. We were in and out in 55 minutes and it was a very pleasant experience. For the price point the quality is good and the atmosphere was friendly and relaxed. If you prefer to sit in comfort and enjoy your food then cross the street from Hanover Square and try Sakanatei.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Chris D
“Authentic and amazing”
Reviewed 12 February 2013

This is one of our favourites in London. Although the special menus (which is highly recommended vs. the regular menu) are all in Japanese (and we don't speak Japanese), the waitresses are always incredibly patient and are willing to translate and describe each dish to us. You have to be a little adventurous and willing to try new things but this place creates a whole new definition to what Japanese food is and it is so much more than sushi or soba noodles. Definitely worth trying and we keep going back for more.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank tamsyk
Yokohama, Japan
“Available for Japanese only”
Reviewed 26 November 2012

The most of the Japanese foods and drinks are provided and delicious, but little expensive than that in Japan.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank mont-mont
London, United Kingdom
“Good food but Over priced”
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I would recommend this place for lunch but not for dinner unless it is a business dinner.
Most of the menu (on the board) hasn't got the price on it and you would not know how much you will get charged. It can be very very expensive. There are a lot more good quality Japanese restaurant at reasonable price in central London.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Ya I

Been to Sakanatei? Share your experiences!