“bitter sushi”

Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
“bitter sushi”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

food is good and I presume it is essential for restaurant but we felt quite “screwed” by the option in menu called "seasonal price" it stands in the middle of other options that all cost 15-20 pounds so it seemed natural that this seasonal price wont be anything over the top so we ordered without asking, great was our surprise to see that his special price for (I don't deny very good sashimi) but still was 55 pounds. It is quite middle range place , feels like family restaurant so obviously one does not expect prices like that appear out of blue on the bill. I just suggest you ask for the price before you order or stick to price labelled options. In overall it just left bitter taste in out mouths even if food had nothing to do with it just felt like they put the price they wanted as we stupidly did not ask before order.

Service in overall is quite poor, waiters speak badly English and gentlemen who greeted us upon entrance said to us straight away “if you are not going to spend 20 pound a head you can’t eat here”, thank you, I won’t anymore there are plenty of good Japanese restaurants in London where I am happy event to pay more but without being treated this way.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank agentpro

“good japanese food”
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Stopped by for lunch today. The set menu offers plenty of food and they even brought us fruits for dessert. No mobile phone at the sushi bar really allows you to sit down and enjoy the food rather than texting!! Staff was friendly as well.

Visited February 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent & authentic but...true sushi lover only”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Probably the best quality Sushi (strictly speaking Fish only=Sashimi) in London, but the atmosphere is sad, like in the office..

The most difficult part for a non Japanese customer would be that all good menu is hand written in Japanese on the today's special board, and there is no price. You need ask for the board and translation. The bill never be lower than I expected, but I just go for the quality. Service is nothing special or poor as this price range, sometime a little slow especially when crowded. They are nice and friendly, though.

Therefore, I can not take anyone except who does really understand the taste of Sashimi and someone who ONLY care for the quality of food.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank HanakoHanako
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best Japanese Restaurant in London”
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

I'm a big fan of Japanese food. Having dined at myriads of Japanese restaurants in the US, UK, China, Taiwan and Japan, I would say this is the best I've been to outside Japan. Fishes are fresh and tasty; Ochazuke is authentic; the dessert tastes not too sweet. Everything there feels like in Japan.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Jia W
“Poor service”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I went this restaurant for lunch with my friend. I called them to book a table one day before but they didn't accept my booking. I asked if all table were fully booked, but they said no and told me to come to the restaurant at 12 noon and we would have a table for 2. We arrived at 12 sharp next day and there were no tables available and we were seated at a oval table (10 people including us were squeezed in and it was so uncomfortable...).
Both of us wanted to order "Chirashi Sushi", but a waitress told us that all Sushi and Sashimi menu would take more than 30min to be served but other lunch set would be served quicker.
As we had another plan after lunch, we ordered other menu. However our food also took more than 30min to be served and it was not as good as we expected. We were so annoyed by their service and disappointed with their food. Besides, we had a little trouble at the cashier...
This is a kind of restaurants where I will never go back again ....

• Visited August 2013