“Groupon voucher holders beware”
Review of Citrus Restaurant - CLOSED

Citrus Restaurant
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: Citrus is a casual restaurant featuring modern Italian cuisine. Passionate about the fresh, lively flavours and ingredients of modern Italian cooking, Citrus' chefs create menus that combine the best of traditional Italian dishes with modern techniques and flavours. All foods are made entirely from fresh ingredients in-house, including the ice-creams and sorbets. We pride ourselves in friendly service, and our team will be happy to offer recommendations and answer any questions that you may have about our menu. In the Summer, our terrace is a great place to relax for a lunch with friends, overlooking Green Park. Citrus restaurant was awarded a"Certificate of Excellence" by TripAdvisor in 2013 with which is given to businesses and restaurants that consistently earn top ratings from travellers.
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I always enjoy trying new places and groupon allows that to happen more frequently to places I would never entertain usually.

The setting is within the park lane hotel, with access from the street and the hotel, sadly the street access also allows for a biting wind to enter each time someone leaves or has the misfortune to enter.

I am sure the a la carte menu is fabulous, but the groupon menu is far from satisfactory. Starters present options of breads or goats cheese salad. Initially going for the garlic pizza bread and goats cheese salad we awaited for the evening to begin with our complimentary prosecco, which having been included in the deal was somewhat confused how it could be seen as a freebie.

On arrival the starter was three slices of cheese pizza in a stack and a well presented goats cheese and pear salad. The pizza bread was similar to a supermarket brand value pizza base with some extra cheddar cheese sloshed on for good measure, I would liken it to eating marathon runners socks if I ever had the misfortune to have to eat those. The salad was palatable if a little overrun by shaved cabbage giving a bitter twang. The waiter, seeing my full plate asked if everything was ok and of course stated it was a popular dish but would replace for his personal favourite, with a bit extra. What came next was supposed to be wild boar on toast, what it felt like eating was burnt chilli con carne on stale biscuits, not a great start.

Mains were a risotto of smoked mozzarella and the beef option. The risotto sadly was highly salted and the mozzarella sprinkled over the top straight from the fridge. The beef itself was excellent, but the sides let it down, an odd sponge bob square pants shaped potato mash cube that was cold and the on vine tomato half cooked half raw. At this point it was laughable and wondered what if anything could go wrong next, the desserts were tiramisu, but it was more tiramiso-so.

Service was standard Central London chain level.

Overall a sub standard and expensive 3 course meal (wine average of £25-30) that showed neither promise or convinced me to return. A better meal can be had at a prezzo chain and you will get some change, more choice and better service.

2  Thank ausbooth
John O, Manager at Citrus Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest, thank you for taking the time to share your review following your experience with us

Although it is not always pleasant to be told about our shortcomings, it is by knowing our guests opinions that we get to improve the service that we offer to our guests.

I would like to clarify that all our meals are prepared and cooked with first quality products and that we do not use any precooked dish in our kitchen.

You mentioned that when your waiter noticed that you were not satisfied with your first dish he offered you to change it for another one that was not in the option of dishes included in the set menu that you have reserved. I am sorry that you did not find this up to your satisfaction again and that you did not considered this gesture as good service. I have shared all your comments with my team in order to improve as much as we can.

I would like to thank you again for dinning in our restaurant and your review that encourages us to try to offer a better service.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Warm regards
John Onate
Restaurant Manager

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Brilliant experience. We went there last week for dinner (we had a Groupon Voucher). I did not expected much, but the food was nice, friendly staff especially the manager from Venezuela was extremely friendly and polite. Will go back again. Very happy with everything.

1  Thank Agicica
John O, Manager at Citrus Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Agicica, I wanted to write you a little note to thank you for the great feedback you left us when visiting the citrus restaurant. We really appreciated reading about how much you enjoyed your evening.
Warm regards
John Onate "From Colombia"
Restaurant Manager

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Having found an offer on Groupon for this restaurant which tied in with my trip to London last weekend I felt that we had got a bargain. £39 for £91 worth of food and was even more impressed when I found out it was situated in the Park Lane hotel. The food was of a good standard & the pieces of steak cooked very well but having had the 3 course I was still hungry which was disappointing so I was glad I didn't pay the full price of £40-£45 for 3 courses.

There was no fuss made of the Groupon offer being used (which I have found at other places before) as I noticed there were others doing the same I did feel that weren't being treated the same when asked to vacate our seats to sit in the bar & finish off our drinks so they could use our table. They did apologise but there were other couples who had been there longer but maybe they didn't have a voucher.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

My wife and I have lived in London all our lives. This was the first time we had eaten here. We decided to book for four as it gave 50% off with a Taste Card. This made it quite good value, although the full prices were on the high side, as is normal with hotel restaurants.
All the food we had was well presented and very tasty. If what we had was typical, I should imagine that all the cooking was generally pretty good. Here is what we had, with the full prices shown.
Garlic Bread. 4 pieces for an expensive £3.25. Starters of Baked Tiger Prawns, 3 prawns for £9, Zuppa de Pesce (fish soup) £9.25. Fried Pigeon breast Risotto £10.75 and larger portion for mains at £15,75. Also for a main, Confit of Duck Ravioli £13,90. This came in, rather surprisingly, a sort of soup. As I say, all were tasty. The Pigeon Risotto is better than it looks in my photo.. All the Pasta is available in starter or main course sizes. You can, of course, see all this on their web site. (I suggest that you don't have a full size portion of the Pigeon Risotto. It is very rich and our friends could not finish theirs.) Pizzas are also available.
The restaurant is pleasant enough but not exciting. The small staff (when we were there at lunch) were smiling and also very pleasant. There were only about nine or ten other diners, so it was quiet and conversation was easy. (In so many restaurants, one has to shout nowadays!) The chairs were comfortable. There were no tablecloths but good linen napkins.
Although called the Sheraton Park Lane, the hotel is actually in Piccadilly, between Green Park and Hyde Park Underground stations. The restaurant has an entrance directly on to Piccadilly.
Would we go again? Certainly not without a discount deal. Probably not anyway. There are so many restaurants to choose from but this one would be good for anyone staying at the hotel and not wishing to go further.
Couple of things. On the menu is Stone Bass. Another name for this is Wreck Fish and it is not a type of Sea Bass. There is no service charge added on the bill, so it is up to you. For the benefit of foreign visitors and particularly Americans, who have to tip outrageously in the States, the normal tip when added to the bill is 12 1/2%. Rarely more, although sometimes 10%.. When added to the bill, there is no need to leave anything more. When not added, leave between 10 and 15% but 15% is on the high side.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Last night in London, and we decided to dine here. Wasnt too keen on the interior, especially the walls with all the faces, however the food was delicious and excellent value. The barbera d asti on offer was absolutely stunning too. The staff were courteous and friendly.