“Reception staff excellent”

Ranked #491 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Durham, United Kingdom
“Reception staff excellent”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived 21st July booked for 5 nights on business trip, return 27th for a further 5 nights. This is a budget hotel but well worth a visit, yes the rooms are very warm but they provide you with a fan. The rooms are spotlessly clean and the breakfast is excellent. The reception staff are superb, they are friendly and very efficient, I must give recognition to Nadia and Isabel (reception), they make you feel so welcome and part of the family. If I owned a hotel I'd whip these two up straight away to work for me :-).

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Whitley Bay
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I don't know where to start with this place. We stayed in July and as the place has no air con it was like an oven. Opening a window didn't help, the hotel is tucked into some very narrow lanes so there was no air, but plenty of noise. What wasn't going on outside seemed to happen inside so when it quieted in the streets our fellow guests decided to make a racket in the corridors. I say guests, it could have been the public - when we walked in around midnight there was no receptionist and the "security" doors were open so it could have been anyone really.

Once in our room we turned on the fan that reception issued us on arrival - he wanted to argue about giving me it, suggesting that I try the room first (??) and there may already be a fan in the room anyway - needless to say it was only effective at making a noise like a C130 taxiing around the room without the benefit of the propwash.

I couldn't wait in the long queue on departure to complain so just left - I will be writing to the chain though. And obviously posting on here.

So what side say. Do go if you want a cheap (£50) room near the city. Don't for any other reason. Horrible.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Karl_Ward
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

At check in don't use the self service machines as they tend not to be working. The rooms are very Hot and have no air conditioning. Also the noise from outside is very bad. Take ear plugs if you want a good nights sleep.
Only good point is the breakfast is good!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank Jason M
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed for the weekend here with my friend. We arrived early but they had no problems taking our luggage so we could explore the city before check in time. We were situated in a double room on the 6th floor which was very very hot. We're Irish so we really could not handle it even with the fan they provided. My friend went down to reception and asked for an extra fan so they gave us one and moved us to the first floor with absolutely no problems. The reception staff are fantastic, very friendly and extremely helpful. Ana is a fabulous person and a credit to the hotel.
Breakfast was everything you wanted and at 3am on a Saturday night you can get a pizza!
The location was a bit far from everywhere but we got cabs everywhere because we're lazy like that. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel but we asked the bus driver where we could buy bus tickets and he didn't know.!
Overall the staff were extremely friendly, the rooms were pleasant and I would go back.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Cheryl K
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We spent one night at Travelodge. It was centrally located and affordable. The staff were very friendly. We had booked three rooms and none of the keys worked. Apparently they have some issues with that as another guest said that they had changed his key five times.
The room was clean and basic, but muggy as they don't have the AC in the rooms. I do wish they made an efford to cleam the black mould in the shower.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I work for a charity so this was booked for me for one overnight stay. I'm glad I was in the room for less than 12 hours. After a very hot (and lost) walk to get here I used automatic check in - got past the queue, got up to my room on the fifth floor only to find the card didn't work! Back into very hot lift down to reception who were very nice, made card work & back into very hot (now thinking old & creaky lift) and up to fifth floor.
The room was a good size with a big nicely made bed, I noticed straightaway there is no air conditioning, aargh! But there was a small 3 speed fan which (as fans were born to do) circulated warm air back at me (at this point being about 27c outside I was grateful for. They do state that being on a main road there is noise - I don't mind that so much, but given that air conditioning would be helpful as window had to be open, fan on, thought TV was giving up the ghost as it had to be turned up so loud to be heard over the noise.
The bed was comfy, but I prefer it when hotels offer a choice if pillows, hard or soft as Premier Inn do!
Tepid shower I thought that will help, why oh why do hotels think it is ok to have a non detachable, wall mounted shower head? Women struggle to use these!!!!
I then found the mould in the tiles, lovely black mould, I then saw the dirty stain on the wooden floor plinth!!
If I had been staying longer than 12 hours I would have complained - but too hot & too tired to.
Even in budget hotels cleanliness is key.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank ladybird77733
Bakewell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Good location if you're working in or around the City.Staff are friendly, helpful and overworked. Rooms are of a decent size by London standards and if you avoid the City Road frontage reasonably quiet. The main thing that let's this place down is the quality of the wifi - you pay extra and it's consistently dire, i write after three stays with minimal performance. The Reception staff offer the number of a third party service provider who don't answer the phone, but charge you handsomely in the meantime and after an hour of frustration I inevitably give up and consider booking somewhere different next time.

Room Tip: Good location if you want a city location without immediate access to the tube and don't care ab...