“Good and bad”

Ranked #341 of 847 Speciality Lodging in London
Canada
“Good and bad”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Good:
Good price - £67 per night for twin ensuite with breakfast.

Easy booking and cancellation via London University Rooms but don’t just go by the reviews they publish.

Our room (France House, just above the reception), the bathroom and the shared kitchen were all relatively clean and the canal view was beautiful.

Location is convenient for the East End. We found the London bus useful. Pick up a London Bus Map from a London Transport Info Counter at a Rail Station (e.g., Liverpool Street Station).

A small supermarket (Budgen), corner shops, pubs and restaurants are within walking distance.

Bad:
The beds were appalling. One of the beds was so old that one could fall off. It was very uncomfortable. The other bed is a newer roll-away bed but was very small.

The room was very noisy with the rail track nearby (though the Mile End Station itself is a 10-minute walk away). Guests also gathered near the canal to drink and chat.

The check-in process was a nightmare. Even though there must have been close to 50 guests checking in on the same day, the reception refused to be flexible about the check-in time. For example, let guests to take the keys to rooms that were ready say an hour of or ahead of 2pm. The excuses given by the reception was they were told to do this by their superior.

To make this worse, there was no system for queuing. Guests were not allowed to queue at the reception or even stay near the area before the official check-in time (2 pm). Apparently a few guests were told and “allowed” to line up around 10 minutes before 2pm. For those who did not know ended up at the end of a very long queue.

The student hall policy was also mean for guests who wanted to leave their bags. There was a storage fee per bag but was only good for up to 6 hours. Unfortunately, we arrived on an early flight and six hours did not give up enough time to go to any sights and back. We ended up “shopping” at Westfield Shopping Centre but decided to head back around 1 pm as we were so tired from our long overnight flight.

Breakfast was canteen food. It was provided in a very busy canteen and served the SAME choices every day (bacon, sausages, scramble egg, fried egg, hash brown, tomato, cereal, yogurt, bread). Too bad for those like us who were there for six days.

No smoking and no parking (for motorbikes) policies were not reinforced well. Imagine having to walk into and out of the canteen through gasoline fumes every day.

Laundry service was not useful for guests as one need to put in at least £10 in a stored value card which cannot be refunded.

Conclusion
Will I stay there again? No. Try another University room. See our review of Beit Hall, Imperial College in South Kensington.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SabrinaCanada
QueenMaryUoL, Manager at Stay QM, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Sabrina,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased you found our location ideal for your needs and also the facilities clean and pleasant.

In terms of the points you raise regarding beds, these are on a rolling replacement programme, they are all single, and I am sorry to hear they did not meet your requirements.

The railway is obviously part of our location as London is a major urban area, all rooms however, do have double or triple glazing to minimise disturbance.

Our check in process is similar to that employed by many accommodation providers in the hospitality industry. We also offer a left luggage facility, as you mention, to enable guests to leave their bags and return. There is also a café where guests can wait for check in opposite reception. We take your points on board and keep this process under review.

In common with many other providers, the breakfast we provide in our on campus restaurant offers a choice of a continental or full English breakfast.

With regard to policies on parking and smoking, our Security team challenge those not observing these policies, and we offer a ‘smoking area’ on campus where those who wish to smoke can go.

The laundry service we provide is a card for 6 GBP, which contains enough credit for a wash and dry, we also provide the powder etc. for the wash – the card can be topped up during a stay online and 2 GBP is refunded when the card is returned to Reception on departure.

I do hope this answers some of your queries, and hope you will consider staying with us in the future. If you wish to contact us directly, please email to scs-marketing (@) qmul.ac.uk.

Yours sincerely

Individual & Group Accommodation QM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
CA
Reviewed 18 August 2011

This is a budget room in a college dorm. The problem is it doesn't appear that the rooms were cleaned after the students moved out at the end of the school year.

Bed was a mattress on a metal stand. When I rolled over, the bed tipped over. Bathroom was very basic. There is a huge desk in the room (for students to study) that takes up way to much room.

Location is not in the center of London, but short walk to the Tube stop "Miles End"

Found the floor to be disgustingly dirty. Came home one day to find rat droppings on the bed.

They do not provide any toiletries or TP or soap. The people who work the front desk are very apologetic, friendly and helpful.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ushela03
QueenMaryUoL, Manager at Stay QM, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
We are sorry to hear your experience did not meet your expectations. Our service provision reflects the quality of accommodation we supply.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback as it gives us the opportunity to improve our service. 97% of our customers have said that we provide good value for money.

We have just approved an investment programme to improve our facilities in time for Summer 2012.

Can I encourage you to submit a formal complaint regarding your stay to scs-feedback(@)qmul.ac.uk

Individual QM Group Accommodation QM
Mumbai
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Stayed here last week for a short solo trip to London, booked it through hostelworld. To be honest wasn't exepcting much except for a clean room and bed. The campus itself is quite nice, location too isn't bad (although its in the East End its very close to Mile End with some decent pubs, restaurants nearby). There is a canal which runs through the campus where people sit by the bank. Stayed at the Maynard and Beaumont (en-suite) bulidings, while the en-suite acco was quite nice, Maynard was not a great experience. Soiled carpets and dirty bathrooms and not cleaned during the weekends. But if you're looking at cheap acco and don't have to much hassles about shared toilets then go for it. Would reccomend the en-suite acco its worth the extra bucks. Ohh and they have a pretty decent breakfast at the common building, which definitely makes up for some of the other shortcomings.

Room Tip: Go for the en-suite or apartments (if you are travelling in a group)
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank craazyheart
QueenMaryUoL, Manager at Stay QM, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Sorry to hear your experience did not meet your expectations.

We have recently reviewed and implemented a new Housekeeping team, although 97% of our customers state we provide value for money. However, we have also committed to an investment programme, which will complete in time for Summer 2012.

Can I encourage you to submit a formal complain regardng this matter to scs-feedback(@)qmul.ac.uk

Regards

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Please don't be trapped into thinking that this "hotel" should be frequented because of its convenient location and reasonable price. The smell of rotten milk in the fridge, stained carpet, rat droppings on the bed, missing shower curtains, missing toilet paper that the front desk could not replenish, etc. etc. will change your mind. Needless to say, you will be wise to find another location.

On a positive note, the young gentleman at the front desk did all that he could to remedy the situation (like taking the fridge out of my room and bringing me a can of air freshener.) There were other friendly staff members as well, but even they could not make up for this sorry excuse for an accommodation. It wasn't their fault. The dorms have simply not been cleaned in months and it shows.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. That's my advice
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank JamesDeVries
QueenMaryUoL, Manager at Stay QM, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Sorry to hear your experience did not meet your expectations. We thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback as it gives us the opportunity to improve our service.

We have 7000 visitors each summer and have just approved an investment programme to improve our facilities in time for Summer 2012.

Can I encourage you to submit a formal complaint regarding this matter to scs-feedback(@)qmul.ac.uk.

Istanbul
Reviewed 27 April 2010

My first night in London was mistakenly spent in an ordinary hostel where I paid 80pound a night! Then I searched on the net and I found QMUL dorm. I booked a room for 24pound per a day for the other week after looking at the comments. I spent a very nice night there and I really liked it!! It was cheap, clean and comfortable. Besides, it is close to Mile End underground stop, and you can arrive very easily. The staff was very friendly and the room was very silent to sleep well. Now, I recommend to all of my friends that safe, comfortable and cheap place. You would need safety in London!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank eddamy
QueenMaryUoL, Manager at Stay QM, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We appreciate you have a choice when choosing your accommodation and we are happy to hear you found ours ideal for your requirements.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Leeds
Reviewed 18 June 2009

I needed somewhere chep in London at last minute for a meeting in Docklands. Normally I would stay in a Travelodge, but at such short notice these can be quite expensive. Having read various reviews, this place sounded OK so I though I'd give it a try. What a mistake !!! The accomodation has a horrible sickening stench throughout all corridors and rooms. Five large rbags full of rubbish were left rotting outside my door for the whole durantion of my stay (3 days). It's amazing they don't have rats. The carpet in my room was disgusting... covered in dirt and stains that looked like blood, vomit... possibly worse. The bathroom was covered in black mould everywhere. Worst of all, there was no hot water whatsoever in the kitchen, bathroom or the bedroom sink... it was stone cold. To be fair, after I complained at reception, someone did come and sort out the problem, but this was only after I'd had to ensure a freezine cold bath/shower on my first morning. The area is a bit dodgy as well... this is one of the dingier areas of London - although the campus seems fairly safe as there are gates and a security guard. But when you venture off the actual campus, you're in a pretty bad area. I'm a fairly tough male well over six feet tall, but even I wouldn't have ventured off the campus late at night. Single females please be careful !!! All in all, I think many of the positive reviews are from people who are used to poor conditions... but why on earth stay here when for a similar price you can get a much better quality and better located b and b or motel?

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank LeedsRonnieRhino
QueenMaryUoL, Manager at Stay QM, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Sorry to hear your experience did not meet your expectations.

We appreciate the time it takes to provide feedback and would encourage you to submit a formal complaint regarding this matter to allow us to respond, this can be done to scs-feedback(@)qmul.ac.uk

We have an ongoing investment programme to improve the facilities we offer.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 31 August 2008

I went with efcollegebreak and they booked it for us. I stayed in a one bedroom flat, which happened to be my favorite all through Europe. They are dorms and you can only stay in the summer while school is out. The people that worked there were friendly enough and the breakfast in the morning was good. The area of town was not my favorite. There are a couple of internet cafes around the place that are really cheap and it is in between two of the tube stations which you have to take to get downtown. The tube is easy to use. I went on it by myself more than a few times and I was not scared or anything. It is not close to downtown and I would not venture too far around there at night but I did love the pub right next door, the locals were so friendly! Feel free to message me if youd like!

• Liked — the rooms
  • Disliked — the location
  • Stayed June 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank florida3122
QueenMaryUoL, Manager at Stay QM, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us.

We have just approved an investment programme to improve our facilities in time for Summer 2012, so hope we can welcome you back again.