“Happy summer school spent here”
Review of Stay QM

Stay QM
Ranked #235 of 930 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Stayed in Feilden house, eat at the curve on camous restaurant. Nice campus feels fairly safe. Rooms have good security system. Small ensuite study bedroom, with fridge. Communal kitchen shared with 7 others rooms, but would need own cooking utensils. Kettle was not working when I was there, replaced after 4 days. Room comfortable enough, I slept well. not air conditioned, opening window, adequate storage space. Mattress ok but not the best. Bank on site. Burdens and sainsburys near campus gates. Food in the curve was good and plentiful, usually a choice of meat fish or vegetarian, plus soup, salad, fresh fruit, desert. Mile End tube about 1/2 mile. Bus 25 stops at Campus gates.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
QueenMaryUoL, Manager at Stay QM, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your stay.

Pleased to hear you had a nice stay and that you enjoyed the food in the Curve. The kettle should have been replaced more quickly, so we apologise for that inconvenience.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

In QMUL I have been already two times, and I am really glad that I found this place to stay.
The whole campus area is nice looked after, clean and has a sort of lightness.
I staid almost in the same type of room flats which were spacious and clean. The last time
the room looked towards the curve side, so it was a little noisy, but when I got used to it it was o.k.
Also at this stay there was something wrong with the warm water, and they didn't realize that
there was still a person staying in the flat. I found this quite amusing, this was no problem and the staff arranged another room for me, this time out of the campus on the other street side. This room was quite dark, but tidy, and it was o.k. too, because I staid only for two nights.
I really would recommend it and hope to can stay there again for my next London stay. My stay was in 2011 and 2008

Room Tip: The rooms towards the canal a more quiet, if you don't mind spicy smell during cooking time, wh...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Alice W
QueenMaryUoL, Manager at Stay QM, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Great to hear you have had some great stays and also your thoughts on our various facilities, this is always something we value from our customers and allows us to work to improve the stays of our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future!

Reviewed 15 September 2012

I was a Games Maker (volunteer) at London 2012 Paralympics and stayed at Beaumont Court (QMUL) for almost 3 weeks.
Located next to Regent's Canal and Mile End Millennium Park made it ideal for Stratford (11 minutes on No 25 bus) and Central London during time off.
Breakfast was filling although of limited choice.
The room was spacious with plenty of hot water in the bathroom.
The kitchen lacked cooking utensils (but Poundland @ Stratford provided the basics)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
QueenMaryUoL, Manager at Stay QM, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Dear MA Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Great to hear you had a pleasant stay, and found our location ideal for your important role with the 2012 Games!

In terms of the kitchen, we generally sell our rooms on a bed and breakfast basis where the kitchen is more of a lounge space for guests to relax and socialise within so would not normally equip this but have noted your points and will review this.

Should you have any further feedback, do not hesitate to contact us to scs-marketing (@) qmul.ac.uk

Reviewed 11 August 2012

I stayed at QMUL accommodation for during the first 2 weeks of July this year, and had a very enjoyable stay. The complex is withing the Queen Mary University of London campus, and has a very safe feel about it. It's not located in Central London, but with good transport links (tube, bus, bikes), it's very easy to get to all the usual tourist attractions. I've included my comments below:

Check-in:
This was ok, but could definitely be improved on. I was the only person checking in at the time, and it still took a while.

Accommodation:
I stayed in Lynden House, which is possibly one of the worst accommodation blocks. It's located towards the back, quite close to the railway, and is overlooked by one of the other blocks. I was on the 4th floor, and although there was no lift, I wasn't offered assistance with my bags.

The actual accommodation was perfectly adequate for this type. The room was fairly small, but was not lacking in anything. Fast internet was provided via an ethernet cable (available at reception if you need one). Wifi was advertised, but there seemed to be problems with it. The ensuite bathroom was wet-room style (small!), but, again, adequate. A big plus in the room was a fridge.

Rooms are arranged in apartments of 6 which share a spacious kitchen. There are cooking facilities in the kitchen, but no utensils. As I had a fridge in my room, I only really used the fridge for boiling the kettle.

Catering:
My accommodation included all meals. I believe there are self-catering options as well, although I'm not sure if the kitchen would then be supplied with plates etc. The on-site canteen provided a good choice of meals. I was there for over 2 weeks and didn't find the food repetitive. The breakfast choice was ok - cereals, yogurt, cooked breakfast, toast, juice, although admittedly, there could have been a bit more variety. There were some problems providing for special diets. However, most of the catering staff were excellent.

Other campus facilities:
I used the laundry - I bought a refundable card for £6, and got £2 back when I returned it (I might be wrong about the price, but it definitely wasn't expensive.) The card included enough credit for a wash and drying time. The campus is quite small so there aren't really any spacious outside areas (the photo showing parkland is taken from the park on the other side of the canal, and not on campus). However, there are plenty of seats and picnic tables, and part of the campus overlooks the canal towards the olympic park at Stratford.

Surrounding area:
The campus is located on the Mile End Road between Mile End and Stepney Green tube stations (both about 5 minutes walk). There are also bus stops nearby, and a few Barclays bike hire docking stations within a couple of minutes walk. The campus is bordered by the Regent's Canal, and overlooks Mile End Park. Victoria Park is about 10 minutes walk away, along the towpath. There are several grocery stores, restaurants and take aways within a few minutes walk. Although the area isn't the most affluent, there are always lots of people around, and I never felt uncomfortable walking around the area either in the evening or early morning.

It's easy to get into central London by either tube or bus. There are also some interesting places to go nearby such as the Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood, Whitechapel Gallery, Victoria Park.

I will definitely go back if staying in London again for good value, basic accommodation with cooking facilities.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the canal.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
QueenMaryUoL, Manager at Stay QM, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Dear Samanthani,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

It is good to hear you had a nice time, and found the location convenient for your stay in London. I was sorry to hear your check in was not as smooth as we aim to provide and that you were not offered assistance with your bags – I will pass this on to our Reception team.

I can see you fully explored the local area and our services during your time with us and am pleased you found the restaurant and laundry facilities met your needs as this is our aim – I have also passed on your comments about special diets, we do offer provision for those with alternative requirements, goats milk for example and gluten free items amongst others.

If you have any further comments, do not hesitate to send these to us at scs-feedback(@)qmul.ac.uk.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Good:
Good price - £67 per night for twin ensuite with breakfast.

Easy booking and cancellation via London University Rooms but don’t just go by the reviews they publish.

Our room (France House, just above the reception), the bathroom and the shared kitchen were all relatively clean and the canal view was beautiful.

Location is convenient for the East End. We found the London bus useful. Pick up a London Bus Map from a London Transport Info Counter at a Rail Station (e.g., Liverpool Street Station).

A small supermarket (Budgen), corner shops, pubs and restaurants are within walking distance.

Bad:
The beds were appalling. One of the beds was so old that one could fall off. It was very uncomfortable. The other bed is a newer roll-away bed but was very small.

The room was very noisy with the rail track nearby (though the Mile End Station itself is a 10-minute walk away). Guests also gathered near the canal to drink and chat.

The check-in process was a nightmare. Even though there must have been close to 50 guests checking in on the same day, the reception refused to be flexible about the check-in time. For example, let guests to take the keys to rooms that were ready say an hour of or ahead of 2pm. The excuses given by the reception was they were told to do this by their superior.

To make this worse, there was no system for queuing. Guests were not allowed to queue at the reception or even stay near the area before the official check-in time (2 pm). Apparently a few guests were told and “allowed” to line up around 10 minutes before 2pm. For those who did not know ended up at the end of a very long queue.

The student hall policy was also mean for guests who wanted to leave their bags. There was a storage fee per bag but was only good for up to 6 hours. Unfortunately, we arrived on an early flight and six hours did not give up enough time to go to any sights and back. We ended up “shopping” at Westfield Shopping Centre but decided to head back around 1 pm as we were so tired from our long overnight flight.

Breakfast was canteen food. It was provided in a very busy canteen and served the SAME choices every day (bacon, sausages, scramble egg, fried egg, hash brown, tomato, cereal, yogurt, bread). Too bad for those like us who were there for six days.

No smoking and no parking (for motorbikes) policies were not reinforced well. Imagine having to walk into and out of the canteen through gasoline fumes every day.

Laundry service was not useful for guests as one need to put in at least £10 in a stored value card which cannot be refunded.

Conclusion
Will I stay there again? No. Try another University room. See our review of Beit Hall, Imperial College in South Kensington.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SabrinaCanada

Dear Sabrina,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased you found our location ideal for your needs and also the facilities clean and pleasant.

In terms of the points you raise regarding beds, these are on a rolling replacement programme, they are all single, and I am sorry to hear they did not meet your requirements.

The railway is obviously part of our location as London is a major urban area, all rooms however, do have double or triple glazing to minimise disturbance.

Our check in process is similar to that employed by many accommodation providers in the hospitality industry. We also offer a left luggage facility, as you mention, to enable guests to leave their bags and return. There is also a café where guests can wait for check in opposite reception. We take your points on board and keep this process under review.

In common with many other providers, the breakfast we provide in our on campus restaurant offers a choice of a continental or full English breakfast.

With regard to policies on parking and smoking, our Security team challenge those not observing these policies, and we offer a ‘smoking area’ on campus where those who wish to smoke can go.

The laundry service we provide is a card for 6 GBP, which contains enough credit for a wash and dry, we also provide the powder etc. for the wash – the card can be topped up during a stay online and 2 GBP is refunded when the card is returned to Reception on departure.

I do hope this answers some of your queries, and hope you will consider staying with us in the future. If you wish to contact us directly, please email to scs-marketing (@) qmul.ac.uk.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 18 August 2011

This is a budget room in a college dorm. The problem is it doesn't appear that the rooms were cleaned after the students moved out at the end of the school year.

Bed was a mattress on a metal stand. When I rolled over, the bed tipped over. Bathroom was very basic. There is a huge desk in the room (for students to study) that takes up way to much room.

Location is not in the center of London, but short walk to the Tube stop "Miles End"

Found the floor to be disgustingly dirty. Came home one day to find rat droppings on the bed.

They do not provide any toiletries or TP or soap. The people who work the front desk are very apologetic, friendly and helpful.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ushela03
QueenMaryUoL, Manager at Stay QM, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2011

We are sorry to hear your experience did not meet your expectations. Our service provision reflects the quality of accommodation we supply.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback as it gives us the opportunity to improve our service. 97% of our customers have said that we provide good value for money.

We have just approved an investment programme to improve our facilities in time for Summer 2012.

Can I encourage you to submit a formal complaint regarding your stay to scs-feedback(@)qmul.ac.uk

Management
Individual QM Group Accommodation QM

Reviewed 12 July 2011

Stayed here last week for a short solo trip to London, booked it through hostelworld. To be honest wasn't exepcting much except for a clean room and bed. The campus itself is quite nice, location too isn't bad (although its in the East End its very close to Mile End with some decent pubs, restaurants nearby). There is a canal which runs through the campus where people sit by the bank. Stayed at the Maynard and Beaumont (en-suite) bulidings, while the en-suite acco was quite nice, Maynard was not a great experience. Soiled carpets and dirty bathrooms and not cleaned during the weekends. But if you're looking at cheap acco and don't have to much hassles about shared toilets then go for it. Would reccomend the en-suite acco its worth the extra bucks. Ohh and they have a pretty decent breakfast at the common building, which definitely makes up for some of the other shortcomings.

Room Tip: Go for the en-suite or apartments (if you are travelling in a group)
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank craazyheart

Sorry to hear your experience did not meet your expectations.

We have recently reviewed and implemented a new Housekeeping team, although 97% of our customers state we provide value for money. However, we have also committed to an investment programme, which will complete in time for Summer 2012.

Can I encourage you to submit a formal complain regardng this matter to scs-feedback(@)qmul.ac.uk

Management