“You Gotta Love It....”
Review of Mayfair House

Mayfair House
Ranked #696 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Or you will end up hating it. And once you commit for a certain number of days, there's no cancelling.
Nothing is consistent. Then again, it's not a hotel, but an apartment rental. The maid service - and yes, they are all Polish and Russian - is some days good, some days sloppy. And yes, they do tend to come whenever - some days very early, some days late. And the units all vary. We had a 4th floor unit for 7 nights. The bedroom was so tiny, it fit one small bed (we think it was smaller than an American full size bed) and two night tables. The living room was nice and spacious - when it was the bedroom that should have been. The kitchen - again, tiny. The connecting door - a pain in the neck. The neighbors either cooked or had food delivered every night and it literally stank! People slammed doors deep into the night. The elevators worked or they didn't, one never knew. You get one small bottle of shampoo and conditioner, one bar of soap upon arrival. That's it. No more. Dire warnings about not smudging the towels hang on the bathroom wall. Having read the previous reviews, I asked the handyman to walk through the unit before we entered it, to check everything so we would not be blamed for anything after we left.
If you pay by credit card, you will be charged a 2% fee.
The clientele - let me not even go there!
The neighborhood - well, we love Shepherds Market, and you got to, otherwise the late night noise from the pubs and restaurants and all day construction (but that's all over London) will drive you batty. But it's a great place to walk around in, the parks are a few blocks away, wonderful Berkeley Square and environs are around the corner. And so are some embassies, including the Saudi one, with the machine-gun carrying cops outside. And the place swarms with young hedge fund workers, who can be a bit of a pain in the ..ah, neck when they do their Lords of the Universe thing.
But back to Mayfair House, yes, we do recommend it, but with lots of caveats and NOT if this is your first time in London.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and ask for a spacious bedroom, if possible without a connecting door.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MommyG60

Reviewed 28 August 2011

1.we took 3 appartments one of them was the three bedrom with three bathrooms
2.we waited on the reception three hours until we checked in however i mentioned the time of our arrival by phone and email and they promised to be ready
3.the houskeeping was rude and they dont change the sheets honstly they dont clean
4.the best 3 bedroom appartment class with three bathrooms we coudlnt use the bathrooms because we cannot get hot water and when we complain the answer was very rude and one of the responses was: you cannot use the three bathrooms and when one of your family members take a shower you must wait one hour until the other member of your family can use it . so we must wait 4hours before we go out since the bathrooms that we pay for we cannot use.the hot water comes for less than 5 minutes and its bacome very cold and two of my family sick because of that and we took them to the hospital
5.the managment was very rude especialy suzuki i think she is the manager some times she dont even aswer me when i am taking and i was going to check out with my family but idint find reservation in other appartments and hotels
6.we always complainig for the noise out side from drunk guys and one night sombody was hitting the window with his feet and we call suzuki and she didnt care
7.when we checked out they told us there is nothing to pay and they checked the appartments for the damages and they returned the cash deposit which was 1000 pounds and they told me the other 2000 pounds will be bach on your card that we used for the deposit however after few days they took my moony and they send to me an email with a picture for a pillow an sheets and a table scratch and they said that they will charge for the laundry and the charges will be about 900 pounds for sheets and 600 pound for the tabel since they must buy a new table and wanted to charge 700 pounds for one more night because they couldnt rent the appartment for one day.
8.the ruined my vication the total solen money for fiv days was about 10000 pounds.
9.i advice every body dont even think about it
10.i went to metropolitan appartments with my familly and cheval appartments their is a huge diffrence in every thing and you will pay the same amount or less if you count the deposit that they will never return it
11.one more thing i know one of my friends the took 1000 pounds from the deposit and they told him we smill segarate in your appartment and i know the gyu very will he dont smoke at all and he told that he complained to the management and the didnt aswer him
12.finally when i called them and send the email complainig for taken the deposit and asking for justification and show us things we didint do and even if we did it it shouldt in any case coat us 2200 pound no body give me any response and util today the keep ignoring my emails and phone calls no response at all

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
21  Thank traveler t
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I stayed at the Mayfair House with my sister and 2 friends. We stayed in the two bedroom apartment. It was lovely and had a warm english charm to it. The master bedroom had an ensuite and was a good size however the second bedroom was TOO small, we could not put more than one luggage bag in there at all. The kitchen is new and was impressed with cleanliness of the whole place although with the amount your paying you would expect nothing less. Hotel doesnt offer room service or a restaurant. The staff were extremely helpful, going out of their way to assist in locating currency exchange and also helping to organise a day trip to the English coutryside. Location was perfect about a 10 minute walk to Piccadilly Circus and any clubs at night. And its in the heart of Shepperds Market which is great for their restaurants and cafes although dont go to Piccalo's across the street, service good, food bad!
The only thing we didnt like were the cleaning staff who were a team of rude Russian females who would not speak to us in English, they would let themselves in early in the morning while we were still sleeping or getting ready to leave and work around us which is just rude and annoying. And when we asked them to come back until we leave they didnt come back at all! Or they would stand and wait! They also complained that we are getting makeup on the face towels!
Apart from that it was a lovely stay there! and would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank anty77
Reviewed 19 December 2010

I stayed at the 20 Hereford Street flats belonging to Mayfair House. Overall the stay was OK except I lost my key card _ twenty pound replacement - which seemed a bit rich for piece of plastic ! and the kettle in my room had a faulty lid when I arrived which subsequently fell off. I was charged 30 Pound for this dispite my pointing out it was already damaged. There was also no one on reception when I arrived in the snow after a 20 hour flight and had to stand outside in the cold for 20 minutes until another tenant let me in. The main building may be better but best give the Hereford Street premises a miss .

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank IguanaSydney
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I booked the Mayfair for my wife, sister-in-law & niece. They had a 5 night one bedroom apt. reservation and were surprized with an upgrade to a two bedroom Apt. Staff were helpful,rooms were great, and they could walk to everything. A little noisy at night, but you have to expect that being in Sheppards Market. I will definately book there again when we return.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank HuesoNaplesFl
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Very nicely modernized hotel. Great service. Nice people. Free wifi and business center. Cold water - still and sparkling always available. Far exceeded expectations.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2009

My family and I stayed at this apartment in September 2008 and had the most wonderful experience. Our party of travellers included myself, my husband, my elderly mother in a wheelchair and three children and had the most beautiful three bedroom apartment.
The location was unbelievablely close to everything - you could walk to Oxford Street, Picadilly Circus, Buckingham Palace, Green Park and the tourist buses leave from around the corner about 5 mins away.
There are places nearby to buy an easy dinner and a supermarket within easy walking distance. We were able to use the free internet and the reception staff were extremely helpful. The kids loved the fact that there were three televisions and gorgeous four poster beds in the bedrooms.
There are classic English pubs all around and you feel quite safe walking around even at night. We would definitely stay here again and would love the same apartment as that was one of the great highlights of a great trip!!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank carts13