“A great find!”

Ranked #746 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Torquay, United Kingdom
“A great find!”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I have to travel to London regularly and had previously stayed at the Aldgate East Travel Lodge (which was awful)...this Hotel however was a great find! My room was huge for a single traveller (I had booked on Late Rooms), the bathroom had a bath and a shower and my room and bathroom were spotlessly clean. The staff were very friendly and inviting and the hotel was pretty quiet which is rare for such a large one. A bonus was the secure car park attached to the hotel (a £10 charge but well worth it as you can walk from the car park straight in to the hotel). The dining room for breakfast however, was very small and felt very claustrophobic and dingy but I managed to get a table on the 3 occasions I stayed. I'm not sure the breakfast is worth the £10 they are charging but on balance the hotel was consistently good in every other respect.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank 186259Donna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2011

AVOID - firstly I am a local and run a theatre a few miles away and was shocked when discovered they call themselves Tower Bridge - it is nowhere near Tower Bridge, it is on the Old Kent Road. 2 miles away in one of the most crime ridden areas of London. My experience was that I was booking a hotel for some of my actors, our usual hotel in Greenwich was full, so search internet and this one came up. Thought £99 for a douible in TOWER BRIDGE was great value and and called to book the room for that evening. The reservation clark said I had to confirm the booking with a email, which I did as paying with our company card. I tried t give him the card details but he said, I has to come in person and pay as they will not confirm with cards (I wanted to make the full payment at the time). Tried to tell them that I was a business and the customers will not actually be me so cannnot just travel to them to make a payment in person. They said they must do it this way. So I ended up giving the clients the money in cash and told them to pay for the hotel when they arrived. Once at the hotel, they called to say that the hotel is no where near Tower Bridge and not near any tube or train and had to get there from the actual bridge by taxi. It was then I looked up the actual venue address and knew what a bad area it was in. Worst, they had accepted the cash but the hotel still insisited on a credit card which they did not have so made me drive to them to give them mine. Which I had to do, to. Stupid rules and no parking outside.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank comedypilot
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Giving it four stars for what it is - cheap accommodation by London standards, don't go expecting a four star hotel. It isn't a place I would recommend as a base for a holiday either as it's not the best area for seeing London from. I stopped over here for one night when working South of the River.

The area is not great, Old Kent Road is pretty run down. Parking was reasonably secure, clean and comfortable-ish rooms, reception OK, polite enough staff but not brimming with enthusiasm. The shower was OK but I agree with what others have said about it not draining quickly enough. Quite a bit of noise from the street, sirens were the main thing (I was on the top floor) but acceptable bearing in mind it's location (it was a Tuesday, not a weekend). Rooms at the back are much quieter, my colleague stayed in one and had a quiet night, so see if you can request one.

The Chinese attached to the hotel Shu Castle, was pukka - really great food not your normal Cantonese fayre - proper Szechuan food, a real adventure. We were going to trek off for a curry but in the end went to the chinese and it was a great decision. We then wandered out to look for a nice little pub and decided after 3 or 4 mins walk that a 'nice pub' on Old Kent Road was probably wishful thinking and walked back (maybe we went the wrong way?)- the hotel has a little bar in reception anyway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, it seems much quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Myself and a friend stayed here for three nights, another friend decided she wanted to join for two nights so we called up on our day of arrival to see if this was possible. The staff were very helpful and at such short notice arranged an extra bed and only asked for an extra £10 a night.
When we arrived the room was very clean and there was plenty of space for our three suitcases as well as plenty of room to walk around the room.
The bathroom had a bath with shower over the top and a separate tap with drinking water and was very clean.
Although the hotel was not exactly walking distance to any of the tourist attractions the hotel was located on a very good bus route, taking you either right past lots of the main attractions or to elephant and castle station and from there you can get anywhere you like.
We purchased a day travel card each day, which providing you bought after 9.30am and travelled in zones 1 and 2 (which all attractions are within) it only cost £6.60 which you could use the bus, tubes and over ground trains.
All in all I believe the location, cleanliness and friendliness of the staff at this hotel made our trip very enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank KerryChannelIslands
Holyhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the hotel, for us it was excellent in every way, nice modern rooms, a large flat screen tv with a remote that worked, very nice bathroom with a shower that worked, very clean, the hallways smelt like hospitals should smell, heard no noise at all in the room, bed was very comfortable, and the staff were all very helpfull with bus times and so on, there is a bus stop 100 yards from the hotel where buses run every 10 mins to all the tourist sights and theatres at the standard charge of £2.20 single ticket, 24 hour sevice very easy to get back to the hotel, last year we spent over £300 in taxi fares, this time approx £50 (paid for our hotel) would definately recommend this hotel would use it again, all in all a very enjoyable stay in London....

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Leonard P
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed on Saturday night. The hotel was clean and our rooms were spacious. The location is not ideal but a cab cost approx £17 from the hotel to covent garden. Be warned there was karaoke playing next door until around 3 in the morning meaning we got very little sleep. We complained at 2 am but were not given another room and it appears this is a regular occurrence rather than a one off. Would not recommend this hotel because of the noise. Shame because the actual hotel was better than others I have stayed in for a similar price.

• Stayed September 2011
New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2011

For the price that we paid (approx 70+pounds/ night) it was a decent hotel. It was clean and our room was quiet. If you're used to fluffy towels - I would definitely recommend bringing your own as the ones they give you are very thin and feel a bit like paper towels. It was a decent place to come back to sleep and I do believe the owners have made every effort to make it a nice stay.

The area is a bit "sketchy" at night - I was with my boyfriend so I felt quite safe but would not have felt comfortable walking around the area at night. Unfortunately it really is quite far from Elephant and Castle - and with large pieces of luggage I would definitely recommend taking a cab. We tried to walk it - and it took us almost a good hour. It is within walking distance from Tower Bridge - about 20 minutes - but it is not really a nice typical London scenic walk with nice architecture or nice shops.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for cheap/ basic accommodation - that is not a hostel. If you don't mind jumping into a cab or talking a long walk to get into the city - this is a great place. If youre hoping to be closer to the center of the city - I would suggest one of the premier other locations. I noticed they did have some that were closer to Tower Bridge and in a closer location.

The breakfast is an additional 10pounds per person. It honestly did not look like anything more than cereal and some juice and maybe some fruit. I didnt look very closely as we did not opt for the additional breakfast but there are lots of cheap little places around this hotel with great pasteries, convenience stores that you can get some breakfast at for much cheaper.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple