“A budget hotel near Central London but on terrible road...”

Premier by Eurotraveller
Ranked #744 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Sheffield
“A budget hotel near Central London but on terrible road...”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

When you first arrive, you ask yourself why anyone would put a hotel on this road? The area is terrible. My initial view of the hotel itself was good. The room was clean and there is a large TV with all the freeview channels. However, when you look closely around the room, it has obviously been built on the cheap. The bathroom door didn’t close (so wouldn’t lock), wires hung down under the sink, the shower was held to the wall by sellotape, the shower tray was leaving the wall, skirting board broken, holes in walls etc. The corridors have cheap wooden floors so you hear everyone walking about and leaving early in a morning. To say this is a fairly new hotel, it is in need of a big renovation. All the staff are Indian and were polite towards me - no problems.

The room was on the 3rd floor, I asked for a quiet room and was given a room near the rear - very glad I did - Old Kent Road is just a constant stream of sirens from emergency vehicles and very busy traffic. Nearby is a Tesco, cash machines and lots and lots of takeaways. It is a 15 min walk to Elephant & Castle tube station, but if you get a 21 bus from outside hotel, it is about 10 - 15 mins to London Bridge.

I didn't have the breakfast at £10 - better to get one from somewhere else and save money.

Overall, a half decent hotel in the middle of a dump, but a short journey to Central London.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if you want some sleep.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank NH11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This hotel, despite it seems located in the centre, is in a very dodgy area of London. It is also VERY far from the Tower Bridge (it takes 20 mins to get to the bridge). They gave me a room at the first floor, facing Old Kent Road. That road is traffic congested and sleeping at night was practically impossible. At late night, I was in bed, with my barred eyes, repeating "never again!" to myself. Moreover my room was not very clean. Bed and bathroom were okay however and that's the only reason why I am giving 2 points and not 1.

Room Tip: In case you HAVE to stay at this hotel, make sure you are not given a room facing Old Kent Road. It...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2013

A little further from the City centre than we would have liked but clean and comfortable. The staff were helpful but the surrounding area was a little run down. We stayed for three nights and travelled around on buses, the tube and the DLR. Buy an Oyster card as soon as you arrive - makes travel much cheaper.

Room Tip: We were in 'cabin' 103 on the first floor. No view at all but no traffic noise and we were...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Janice M
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We had help booking this hotel as we were traveling with Children and needed beds for four.
Buses run past front door and take you to tube station. Although if you're energetic tube is just 15 to 20 minute walk. Wouldn't walk area late at night though.
Our Taxi driver told us the area is up and comming. Not a bad description. But still has a long way to come.
The room was very small for a family. No facilities except a kettle. But at least they were clean.
No Free WiFi. They charge £2 for an hour and you can't stop the time once you start.
Biggest disappointment was on our morning of check out I was picking up a hire car. There is no on street parking so I asked concierge if I could use car park for half an hour whilst we loaded our bags. The answer was yes but I would need to pay £15 for the privilege.
Must say the staff weren't rude but they were not helpful in any way. Felt like if they could get a quid out of you they would try their best.
Only stay there if you are on a tight budget and don't need the extras.

• Stayed March 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Initially I only booked a place here because it has customer parking at the rear (costs £15 a day). Its been years since I have come to this over-priced city, where parking can be around £5 a hour!

Anyway, first impressions were the staff seemed to be terribly hopeless. It must be the first time I have turned up and then being told if I came to the right hotel! Unfortunately for the reception I had already paid and had proof, so they finally (after 20 mins) checked me in.

They also insisted on charging me card even though I had already paid and then after an hour received a call to my room saying they have refunded me as they finally found the payment I initially made.

So, at this point, I just wanted to call it a night...

The room though was surprisingly decent, with a nice bathroom and separate tap for drinking water. Nice size TV, and plenty of table space.

Go for the rooms at the back of the hotel if you want quiet, as it is on the main road. Sleep quality was good, but can not see me staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

hotel was no where near tower bridge, it was a very long walk from the tube station to the hotel itself, not knowing the area at all i started to get a bad feeling about the area as soon as we left the tube station its very run down, communication with staff was poor as they had limited english. the room was small, bed extremely uncomfortable and only came with three pillows, we stayed on a friday and saturday night, the music from the local nightclub was unbareable could only get to sleep after 4.30 on both nights after it finally stopped. if you are brave enough to walk around the area at night i couldnt see their was anything to do.

would never stay here again absolutly awful

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank leanne j
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I'm used to being charged ridiculous sums for London accommodation so it was great finding this bargain. A really modern, clean, large double room with a fridge and a TV that worked properly, climate control, big comfy bed, clean and modern shower room. I can't fault the room. Reception was a bit lacklustre but adequate. The location's not so good though - I couldn't find anywhere I wanted to take a drink nearby and it's about about quarter of an hour's brisk walk from the nearest tube.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business