“Would not go back”

Cuisines: International
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southbank
Description: Freshly cooked food for everyone served to the sound of great music - guaranteed to make you feel good!
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Always wanted to try giraffe, this was a very disappointing visit to the giraffe at Southbank. We went about 4.30pm. It was hot today and outside was full, no prob. Sat inside, waitress very friendly. Nice menu choice, I chose salmon, my husband had the rack of ribs. Drinks were served very quickly. Food came to the table within 10 mins, which I thought was very fast seeing as the place was so busy. My salmon was only just warm, so obviously not freshly cooked as it would of been hot served up that quickly. It came with fries and some salad leaves, overdressed with vinegar, couldn't eat it! Really overpriced for what it was. Husbands ribs were quite nice, maybe I just made the wrong choice. Overrated!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Let's get the fact that it's pricey out of the way - yes you can get similar food elsewhere cheaper, but not at the location this Giraffe is at. You are right on the Thames amongst some of the busiest foot traffic and restaurants. In these locations you will be paying higher restaurant prices.

In my earlier review I stated that Giraffe had really bad service and I'm pleased to say it has improved immensely, we never had to wait long for a waiter and everything was served up quickly. Good job Giraffe, glad you are listening to all the negative feedback to improve your restaurant.

The food was good, as always, and once again I highly recommend the coconut prawns to start which are DIVINE!!! The cocktails are fantastic, go ahead and indulge (see pics - mango daiquiri, pina colada, fruit drink). Our group had the stir fry (see pic) which tasted good and was a sufficient portion size too, ribs (see pic) which were very tasty indeed, schnitzel (see pic) which was a little dry and disappointing unfortunately.

1  Thank BarbieMegaTraveller
Reviewed 3 August 2014

First time I have eaten in one of this chain, and wasn't too bad. it was a warm evening , so we sat outside. Service was good, food was good, I had BBQ Ribs & Chicken Combo, and the wife had Rodeo Chicken Burger. Obviously not restaurant quality, wasn't expecting it, but decent enough, then had the dessert liquers, really nice..
A pleasant evening overall

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Under sufference- as our friends said they wanted to have a snack at Giraffe - we agreed. We've eaten there on a couple of occasions, but the food and service is underwhelming to say the least.
Certainly won't be going back again.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I ordered a salad of Chicken, Mango, Prawn & Avocado. ...when it arrived I had to look for the mango & avocado but there were definitely No prawns. ...when telling the waiter he then bought me a small pot of prawns to tip into the salad. My companion had a basic burger with fries...we both found the food to be very bland and extremely basic for the price. My companion ordered a tomato juice and when it arrived it had so much tabasco in you could see steam coming from his head....he was NOT asked if he wanted tabasco in his drink at any time.
We both felt that it was conveyor belt food at high prices... £30 for a burger fries and tomato juice, salad & a basic juice were high. In future I will stick to going to Bills restaurant either in Soho or Covent Garden where the service & food are far better value and far better quality.....
We will not be returning to any Giraffe.