“Extremely busy and apparently family friendly.”

Giraffe - Royal Festival Hall
Ranked #2,108 of 23,214 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$4 - US$24
Cuisines: International
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southbank
Description: Freshly cooked food for everyone served to the sound of great music - guaranteed to make you feel good!
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We went to Giraffe at the Southbank Centre with a large group of 5 adults and a toddler. We were able to get seated rather quickly, within 10 minutes I would say. There were probably 25 buggies parked inside the front door, which can be a great sign if your a parent, or not if you are flying kid-free. However, the restaurant does a good job at catering to the little ones, with colouring mats, crayons, small giraffe toy and balloons, which seems to keep them all entertained. We only hear one squeal during our whole meal. The place was packed and very busy, yet the staff seemed to manage to be attentive.

The food was good and arrived relatively fast considering the number of diners.

There are newer reviews for Giraffe - Royal Festival Hall

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Your average fast food joint. We had a long wait for a table then had to sit outside when it was starting to get cold. Food though was pretty good but we were all starving by this time. There were 5 of us including 3 vegetarians and we were all quite satisfied with the food and service.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

My friend and I went here after a show on a Friday, around 7pm. The food was very nice- we had burgers. It was very busy but we could get a table for two immediately.
We were not tended to as quickly as we may have liked, and had to call over the waiter.
I was annoyed because, while we were given the basket of condiments at the beginning of our meal, it was rapidly taken away, but I still wished to use it again at the end of my meal, so had to ask again for sauce. We ate slowly because we were talking a lot, and 3 times they tried to take away my plate before I had finished eating! They gave us the wrong bill at first. The interior is nicely designed, and there was no queue for the toilets. The drinks were alright also.
I would go again, but maybe when it isn't so busy, so that they weren't frantically trying to get back the dishes for the next diners, and there would be less chance of the wrong bill being given.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This is the first time we had eaten in a Giraffe restaurant and we happened upon it by chance. After a "flight" on the London Eye we were all in need of food and drink. It was a warm summer's evening and strolling along the by the river we thought our chances looked slim of finding anywhere to eat. This was not to be the case. We asked about a table and were told that it was upto a 25 minute wait, we decided to put our name down and were prepared for a wait. Unbeknown to me my husband had said that we didn't mind were we sat. Imagine our surprise when after five minutes our names were called and we were shown to a table.
Our waiter was called Alessandro who hailed from Florence, Italy. He gave us all a menu and talked about driving in Florence, not to be recommended. He then stopped quickly and said we should order drinks as between 5-7pm all drinks marked BB have a 50% reduction, he left us to make a choice. Choices made he returned quickly and took our order. My daughter went for the strawberry smash, whilst we chose a bottle of house rose.
Food orders were taken and the food arrived pretty quickly, the hot food was hot and tasty.
All the plates went back empty, unlike the family across form us who had ordered food and then believed it to be ok to leave it. The children weren't very well behaved either.
The dessert menu was brought, what to have? The key lime pie was as light as a feather, the chocolate tart was "blooming gorgeous" and went well with the chocolate tart.
Waiters were friendly, service good. Yes it is busy, but so were all the other restaurants.Thank you.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Always wanted to try giraffe, this was a very disappointing visit to the giraffe at Southbank. We went about 4.30pm. It was hot today and outside was full, no prob. Sat inside, waitress very friendly. Nice menu choice, I chose salmon, my husband had the rack of ribs. Drinks were served very quickly. Food came to the table within 10 mins, which I thought was very fast seeing as the place was so busy. My salmon was only just warm, so obviously not freshly cooked as it would of been hot served up that quickly. It came with fries and some salad leaves, overdressed with vinegar, couldn't eat it! Really overpriced for what it was. Husbands ribs were quite nice, maybe I just made the wrong choice. Overrated!