“Casual, fun, everyday sort of place, deserves a better rating”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Giraffe - Muswell Hill - CLOSED

Giraffe - Muswell Hill
Price range: US$13 - US$26
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Freshly cooked food for everyone served to the sound of great music - guaranteed to make you feel good!
London, United Kingdom
“Casual, fun, everyday sort of place, deserves a better rating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I'd been to Giraffe before, but not to this particular one. I don't know why it's had such lukewarm reviews, as I actually think it's pretty good generally. It looks nice inside and we managed to sit in one of the comfy booths. There was some kind of kids party going on and it's obviously very family-friendly. There's a lunch offer until 5pm, so I had a deli lunch burger with fries for £6.75. I also shared some chicken wings, which were on the dinner menu; the waitress did have to check with the kitchen, but they were happy to make them, which was good. I also had an iced tea, which had mango, lime and mint in it and was beautifully presented in a kind of jar. The service was nice and friendly. Ultimately, it's a standard sort of chain and it doesn't offer a unique gastronomical experience or anything, but it's really very decent and I would definitely return.

• Visited July 2014

“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I came here with my boyfriend and my sister, it was a Wednesday lunchtime around 2.30 and the place was quiet. We ordered a jambalaya risotto, a Mexican chicken burger with sweet potato fries and a falafel a burger with chips. The food was nice, the ambiance was a little lacklustre due to the timing and the service was attentive. The meal for (three mains, two soft drinks and a cider) came to £50 including service which was expensive for what we had.

“back in favour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stopped going here as it just became too full of children , push chairs and felt more like a crèche than a restaurant . Being bank holiday it wasn't so crowded so I thought I would give it a try. They have made the menu less around the world in 20 meals and there is now more cohesion , and more a tex mex vibe , plus lots of veggy choices . We shared nachos and then I recommend the market burrito . Good coffees too and pleasant staff. Will be back to try cocktails next time .

• Visited June 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food but let down by excessive service charge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

In summary, the food was excellent with a wide range of dishes to choose from. My burger was fantastic and it's good to see that Giraffe are with the times by offering sweet potato fries! I also recommend the cherry and apple crumble for dessert!

However, while I couldn't fault the service, I don't believe in service charges and certainly not £14! We ended up leaving half of this and still felt like we'd over 'tipped' as my standard practice is to use a variable scale ranging between £0 and £5, determined by the quality of service. These guys would have been given £5, no question of it, but certainly not £14!

Another pitfall of the Giraffe experience was the fact that the door was open the entire time we were in there. I'm not convinced that this benefited anyone as I felt cold most of the time at the expense of them trying to lure in more customers, which didn't work!

I will still rank Giraffe as 'very good' based on their food, service and reliability, but they certainly won't be receiving an 'excellent' from me until such time they drop the service charge and keep the door closed!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Alexsouthgate
giraffeconcepts, Social Media Manager at Giraffe - Muswell Hill, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Hey Alex,

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. Firstly, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the food at your visit to our Muswell Hill giraffe.

An optional service charge is added to your bill for the benefit of all staff and convenience and guidance for our guests. Guests can however amend the optional service charge to reward the team for their meal as they wish.

I'll certainly pass your comments on about the service charge to the appropriate people.
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Food delicious, service very quick, satisfied? Hell yeah. It has everything I needed and the price was cheaper than what i expected, go here if you are in the area

2 Thank Conor M