“Really great walk”

Private Walking Tour: Heretics and Horrors
Ranked #113 of 821 Tours in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Make the most of your time and get to know London for the first time or a little better. We provide fun, engaging and affordable scheduled guided walks, private walking tours and treasure hunts in London. We offer a wide variety of guided walks in London: Georgian London, Victorian London, Street Art tours, kids tours and those that reflect London's dark side. Our private London walking tours and treasure hunts are suitable for corporate events, groups, schools and international students. We have kids tours which are just the ticket for families and schools, they are both fun and educational. We have significant experience working with conference organisers and group organisers. We have lots of walks to suit a range of abilities and interest levels - get in contact to find the right tour for you!
Reviewed 6 April 2016

I had a lovely time with Angela, on a Victorian tour of London. Her knowledge was great and her enthusiasm shone through, even though the weather wasn't great!

All reviews
"smithfield"
"microphone"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2016 via mobile

My school friend and I were meeting for a catch up and fancied trying something different. I had attended The Hearts and Heretics Guided Walk with my husband on Valentine's Day and enjoyed it so much, so suggested we book The Oliver Twist one.

We met in The Angel on a beautifully sunny April afternoon. It was fun to hear about the area in Victorian times, places that seem quite inconsequential to us when we're trudging around with our daily lives often aren't, or weren't! I won't say what we learned as I urge you to try it, but it was so interesting and Hazel is so kind, friendly and descriptive that she really makes it all come alive! Because we were right where it had all taken place it was easy to get a good idea of the scale of what we were being told. We heard some very interesting little facts about the local area and Hazel offered a few recommendations along the way, which is always nice. I liked that it was based on Charles Dicken's Oliver Twist, it made a good basis of how those kind of character's lives may have played out.

Some of what we learned was very funny and some was just plain wonderfully weird!

Hearing about the struggles some people would have faced was quite sad. My friend and I were surprised that the issues Londoner's struggled with in Victorian times hasn't changed. People are still living in poverty, often in inadequate accommodation, children are still sometimes treated poorly when they don't have anyone. Immigration problems and the hurdles people face when moving into London are still pretty much the same. The huge class divide is ever present. I found it quite sad that in some ways we haven't made much progress since Victorian times ...

I really can't wait to book up for the Street Art In Shoreditch Guided Walk now. Hazel even took us all for a drink after. We told her that when we were at school we had a very mean history teacher so we both hated the subject. We're educating ourselves now! We both said we wished Hazel could have been our teacher!

Date of experience: April 2016
Reviewed 5 April 2016

Once you've been on a walk with Hazel you'll be back for more! She's most welcoming, very knowledgeable and has hunted out those quirky details which you tend to remember over the big facts. You come away with a smile having had a really good time.

Reviewed 5 April 2016

This is a wonderful tour! Hazel,our guide, was very personable, enthusiastic and knowledgeable. As we walked through the lanes and alleyways of Covent Garden and Soho, she told delightful and entertaining stories of Victorian London. A truly unusual way to spend a rainy evening and I would thoroughly recommend it (whatever the weather!).

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 April 2016

Hazel is friendly, energetic and enthusiastic and pointed out bits and pieces of London's fascinating history as she guided us through a most interesting route. You will not be disappointed; she is thoughtful, fun and very knowledgeable - able to answer a plethora of our questions with an almost encyclopaedic knowledge of this great city.

Date of experience: March 2016
Hazel B, Owner at London Guided Walks, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2016

Hello, Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. It was a pleasure to show you and your daughter the City of London on my Dragons walk. See you on your next trip to London!