“Pub food at its best”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Pub food at its best”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Back to the Three Stags for another excellent dinner. I went with my wife's 89-year-old uncle who loves pubs but is becoming a bit hard of hearing and you have to be patient with him. We had great service and the food was very good.

The bill seemed pretty hefty at £86. I didn't realise those pints of Guinness and a couple of glasses of wine, are so expensive these days.

We had a great evening and he thoroughly enjoyed the occasion which was lucky as he was paying!

• Visited December 2013

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and poor quality”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I thought I had reserved a table for my Mother's birthday at this gastropub; at least it was written in the diary in front of me when I went in to reserve.
We arrived to find that there was no table reserved. We waited around feeling self-conscious whilst a drinker was asked if he would move, then refunded the price of his pint and left in disgust.
Service was slow and inattentive to say the least.
The food is expensive even if the portions are a reasonable size.
Bangers and mash at £14! Pork chop and cabbage/mash at £15! Steak with wrinkled up cold mushrooms £18.75! All served with the same rich gravy and potatoe mash straight from the packet!
I certainly do not think that this is gastro food at all; just very plain food at exaggerated prices.
The staff take about a minute to review the tickets and the plates of food before they actually decide which table to take them to; yes they are really that 'on the ball' and when asked for a steak knife (not unreasonable having an order for steak), the waiter did not seem to know what we were asking about. Need I say more?
Avoid at all costs... a very steep £86 for 5 main course meals and 3 pints.

• Visited November 2013
Saratoga Springs, New York
“A fantastic pub”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

After a disappointing trip to the IWM across the way, we stopped in here for lunch. The food was fantastic. Yes, the menu is limited, but it's all very well sourced/local food and fare and they seem to want to concentrate on making their limited selection excellent. I had terrific bangers and mash, and my father-in-law had a very tasty pulled pork, both made with locally raised pigs. The barman was very willing to discuss ale options, and made an excellent suggestion. If you're in this neighborhood, definitely stop by.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank AddiesDad
glasgow
“Dogs are made very welcome :)”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I went here for lunch recently with a friend and my dog. The food and service were good but the biggest thing for me was how positive the staff are about dogs being allowed inside. It is such a rarity in Great Britain to be allowed to take dogs into any food serving establishment so the Three Stags is well ahead of it's competitors in this respect. I'll be sure to return next time I'm in London (with or without the dog!)

Visited October 2013
1 Thank kaspoodle
London, England, United Kingdom
“Definitely repeat a visit as friendly with good pub ambience”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I had been put off eating there by last reviews but we went for a drink and stayed for lunch so like most things - observe and make a common sense decision. I had checked their www and noticed they had won some sustainable restaurant award so when we saw the food going to other peeps tables looked tasty we decided to take a punt.

We shared a burger - lots of flavoursome bits - gherkin et al, good quality meat with edible bun, proper 'you can see the potatoes they came from' chips and a little homemade coleslaw. I also ordered onion rings which were crispy - calorifically deep fried -and served with a BBQ sauce. Could not fault anything there and the service was good though this may be compromised when it gets very busy but I felt it was the right amount of attentiveness. All the staff were helpful and barman was genuinely friendly.

The interior strikes the right balance reflected age - wood and a few 'arty' but unaffected touches. The tables were well spaced and comfortable and they have outdoor seating for the hardy.

They have cask ale for beer lovers and the house white wine I had as a spritzer was very drinkable (no undertone of paint stripper or resin). My friend who was off alcohol had Fentiman Ginger Beer. The drinks selection appeared accommodating to most tastes.

For history buffs there is Chaplin's Corner where Charlie Chaplin's (born in Lambeth) dad is purported to have quaffed for hours.

We stayed longer than we had anticipated and enjoyed reading our newspaper in a cozy atmosphere (raining outside).

Prices reflected by it being London and next to Imperial War Museum so can be shocking to visitors.

Wished I'd taken photos for this review as the ones here make it look like a dining room rather than the earthy wood pub feel it has.

• Visited October 2013