“Just average”

Neighbourhood: St. James's
London, United Kingdom
“Just average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

An average Japanese restaurant but not more than that. The service staff is very attentive and nice, they really try their best and generally offer a good service. The level of comfort is fine, nothing special though. I cant remember any special deco or anything that would suggest an effort from the management to create an atmosphere.
It is like being in a fast-food restaurant except that you are served at your table.
The food is average, with the rolls being just good enough but really nothing special. The soups are generally good, difficult to fail delivering proper soba or Udon though.
The Japanese curry is awful meanwhile the quality of their tofu is nothing special.
It is an expensive lunch/dinner for what it is.

Do not accept a seat at the sushi-bar. The staff and clients walking behind you to go to their tables will most probably kick your seat. It happened to me 6 times over a 45 minutes lunch!
Really annoying.

• Visited June 2013

London
“Lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

We were looking for a place to eat before a tour and came across this Japanese restaurant. The service was ok, I was however very impressed with the quality of food, it was very authentic Japanese and tasted delicious.

• Visited March 2013
Tétange
“nice japanese pop food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

This inviting japanese restaurant near the Japan Center was almost full, which is often a good sign. We were friendly welcomed and rapidly seated in the quite noisy room where all kind of people were having dinner in a busy, uncomplicated atmosphere. There were couples, asian tourists, Londoners too.
Before the main dish, we ordered some "japanese tapas" as our kind waitress suggested: they were delicious and some even rather sophisticated! With those appetisers, the hot sake I ordered was free.
Although the sushi looked absolutely enticing, we ordered Okayudon & Katsudon because we are fond of those japanese popular dishes we can't find in many restaurants at home. And with the ice-cold weather that awaited us outside, we wanted a warm hearty meal. We had not to wait long for them and they were well prepared and accompanied by a well balanced miso soup.

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings about this one”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

The ladies who served me are very sweet and smiley and the food taste good. However the cooking staff are rude and not really up to date with hygiene procedures.

I sat on the bench so I was in front of the kitchen. I ordered an interesting tempura, wondering how they would manage that one with the cheese melting: salmon and mozarella with the extra £4 rice and miso soup added.
My worst fear came through, when they plunged this into the frying oil the cheese started to melt and oozed from the tempura batter. The cook then asked his colleague what to do. the colleague, who was wearing gloves that he had just used to cut some sushi with removed the batter from that tempura, recoated the salmon and mozza with batter and refried it...
Then he proceeded with washing his gloved hands on the water (well not exactly washing more like put them under the running tap water) and he then resumed his sushi preparation with the same gloves.
When they served the tempura to me there was no rice or soup with it so I reminded the waiter about it and the gloved cook overheard me and said to me in a rude tone that it was coming..
And the total price for this plus a green tea moccha (very nice I must say) over £21 (service charge incl).

• Visited April 2013
Bideford, United Kingdom
“If you like Japanese you will love this”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

Very efficient service, delicious sushi and sashimi were delicious, especially the tuna and yellowtail and the cod's roe.

The staff were polite and efficient and served us very well, we would definitely go back here again. Thank you passenger on the train to Waterloo for giving me the idea of visiting.

Visited March 2013