“First time at Zizzi”

Ranked #354 of 22,564 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$10 - US$21
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: Located in Covent Garden, Zizzi on Bow Street is a bustling Italian restaurant surrounded by boutiques, theatre and street performers. With its own traditional pizza oven, this cosy two-floor restaurant is a stone's throw from Covent Garden Piazza and the world-renowned Royal Opera House. Like all good Italian restaurants, Zizzi offers an extensive menu of antipasti, salads, pasta and pizzas to hungry theatre-goers and shoppers alike, all served by the friendly and cheerful staff. Zizzi restaurants are passionate about simple Italian cookery. Whether it's pizza or pasta, salads or risotto, or carne and pesce (meat and fish), each dish is prepared with fresh, seasonal ingredients - from the popular classics to Zizzi's own innovations - ensuring that you can enjoy a great Italian dining experience, at any of Zizzi's Italian restaurants around the country.
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“First time at Zizzi”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Food & service was excellent, for some reason I have never been to the Zizzi in my hometown of Bristol, but after this visit I will.

Portion sizes were quite generous, as a fan of spicy food I really enjoyed my pasta arrabiate main dish.

If you visit, do your best to get a seat on the ground level floor, there is a lower level which is a lot more enclosed, I suspect my visit would not have been 1/2 as enjoyable if we'd been sat there.

Visited July 2014

• Hebrew first
Fremont, CA
“Good pretheater meal”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We enjoyed a quiet meal here since we were early for the theater. Friti misto & salmone broccoli and a brew...not gourmet, but fit our needs. We enjoyed the food, the free wifi, and didn't found anything amiss in the restrooms.

• Visited June 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Once again brilliant”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I become a regular as the food the service and thE vibe is just great. Read the reviews and is a mix of amazing and some people that moan about small details.im overall experience i think that is great.maybe im lucky

• Visited June 2014
West Horsley, United Kingdom
“Very poor”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Family trip to London, a pre-theatre meal; staff were uninspiring, food was average, toilets unusable. Overall cleanliness was poor but the state of the toilets was shocking..we complained and were told there was nothing that could be done as they had been waiting for an emergency plumber to turn up all day. We were discounted the meal price but for a large chain this is unacceptable, toilets don't all fail at once and cisterns fixed with rotting string doesn't happen within hours.

• Visited May 2014
Newcastle
“Nice place but overpriced and poor quality/value”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I don't usually write restaurant reviews, but I was so unimpressed by this venue that I thought I should post my comments.

Great looking place in an excellent location. Friendly staff and was seated quickly. I had looked at the restaurant website beforehand and viewed the different menu choices available so was surprised when only 1 menu and a few 'blackboard' specials were available (no fixed price set menu etc).

I ordered the 'skinny' tiger prawn and broccoli salad, chicken prosciutto and a dessert and a £14.95 bottle of wine (OK by London wine standards).

No comp bread or iced tap water etc was served but he starter arrived quite quickly. What a let down! 5 defrosted frozen prawns on a small bed of floppy salad leaves, 3 stems of 'al dente'[ cold broccoli and a small sprinkle of crushed tasteless hazlenuts. I accept that this was a 'skinny' food option but since when does skinny have to mean mean tasteless?. No seasoning whatsoever, not even a squeeze of lemon so had to load the calories with the olive oils available.

The main was another let down. 4 small boiled potatoes cut in half, 6 obviously previously frozen green beans and a very thin flattened chicken fillet wrapped in Italian ham. There was a watery yellow sauce all over the plate but this had no real taste and think it was just a mixture of butter and water and not a hint of sage as the menu description stated. Again this dish was not seasoned at all.

Having been let down so far and to 'lift' my dining experience, I decided to have one of the desserts as the menu descriptions sounded great ......... how wrong could I have been! I received a small martini glass sized metal stemmed 'dish' which contained 3 'melon ball' sized scoops of ice cream, 2 thin slices of banana and 3 roasted peanuts with a faint drizzle of some kind of sauce. A total let down!

The food cost me just under £25.00 which for 3 courses might sound a bargain for London, but in terms of quality and value, was way overpriced.

The place was very busy and given it's location, I don't think it will ever fail to attract customers, but if was to rely on the quality of the food, it may be a different story.

From what I saw being served to other customers, the pizzas looked to be a good choice. The couples on either side of me were all having pasta dishes which looked a but 'mushy' to me and I didn't hear them make any positive 'noises' during their meals or look like they were really enjoying their food.

I have previously eaten at Zizzi twice elsewhere in the UK and had a much better experience so perhaps it may just be down to bad luck that I had such a negative experience at this particular location???

• Visited May 2014