“Too popular for its own good”
Review of Zizzi - Bow Street

Zizzi - Bow Street
Ranked #473 of 24,015 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$13 - US$22
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: Located in Covent Garden, Zizzi on Bow Street is a bustling Italian restaurant surrounded by boutiques, theatre and street performers. With its own traditional pizza oven, this cosy two-floor restaurant is a stone's throw from Covent Garden Piazza and the world-renowned Royal Opera House. Like all good Italian restaurants, Zizzi offers an extensive menu of antipasti, salads, pasta and pizzas to hungry theatre-goers and shoppers alike, all served by the friendly and cheerful staff. Zizzi restaurants are passionate about simple Italian cookery. Whether it's pizza or pasta, salads or risotto, or carne and pesce (meat and fish), each dish is prepared with fresh, seasonal ingredients - from the popular classics to Zizzi's own innovations - ensuring that you can enjoy a great Italian dining experience, at any of Zizzi's Italian restaurants around the country.
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Met a friend here last night. Fortunately, had the foresight to make a reservation, as it was heaving and folks were waiting for tables. I would like to say upfront there is nothing wrong with the food, which is tasty and perfectly good for the prices, but we encountered a number of issues, some no big deal, some not to be ignored. Most - if not all - could probably be sorted with another one or two waiting staff employed. Zizi! Help the unemployed! Hire more! So...

Took a long time to get menus, even though other tables sat after us had been given them. Then took a long time for the waitress to get to us to take our order. As well as a bottle of wine, I asked our waitress for tap water. It didn't come. When our main dishes arrived, I asked the man who brought them if we could have some water. It didn't arrive. Finally, I went up to the bar (not a public bar, mind you, but where waiting staff give their orders in) and asked directly for 2 glasses of water, which I then carried back to our table. When our waitress came to clear our plates, I brought up the water issue. Her response: "I was going to get it for you, but then I saw you were getting it so I didn't." Um... No, that's not how it works in a restaurant where you're paying for both food and service.

When I went to use the ladies' loo (look away now if you have a weak stomach), only one cubicle was working and the one that was, was disgusting. Both urine and blood on the toilet seat, no toilet paper in the dispenser, but plenty strewn on the floor. Ewwww. Not nice. I told our waitress, who said, "I'll clean it up." Presumably she did, but this isn't something that a customer should have to tell staff about: Surely they should be checking the state of things on a regular basis so it doesn't get to that level.

The maitre d' brought us each a glass of wine as a "sorry", which was thoughtful and certainly the right thing to do. However, this place is a victim of its own success: the staff are too busy to do the best job.

One last comment: my companion and I ordered the same dish, but had quite different amounts in our bowls. A bit... sloppy, I suppose, says it best.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was browsing the internet as preparation to our summer vacation in London
Can not recall where I first saw this name but after looking at their web site got a feeling it would be a good place
We picked the Bow street location as it fitted our route, did not book a place so we sat at the lower floor, alone which was not bad after all
The food arrived quickly, all orders were good, well prepared and served. Various dishes allowed good choice for children and vegetarian. The deserts were also very good
prices are fare for what you getting and also in comparison with other London restaurants
We recommend

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Popped in for yet another Italian meal with the family. One of the better places to be, good quality food, and a greater variation than many of the other Italian restaurants. The children, 9, 12 and 15 and ranging from very picky to "I'll eat anything as long as its well prepared", all found satisfaction here, while the parents enjoyed a couple of the house special cocktails. Would definitely go again if I'm in Covent Garden or thereabouts

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Really nice. Been to other Zizzi's before, but this one was a lot better. Food and staff very good. Nice sized restaurant but maybe a little cramped near the pass. Nice selection of food and drinks made a perfect pre-theatre meal.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Food & service was excellent, for some reason I have never been to the Zizzi in my hometown of Bristol, but after this visit I will.

Portion sizes were quite generous, as a fan of spicy food I really enjoyed my pasta arrabiate main dish.

If you visit, do your best to get a seat on the ground level floor, there is a lower level which is a lot more enclosed, I suspect my visit would not have been 1/2 as enjoyable if we'd been sat there.