“"Needs some work"”
Review of Papaya Tree

Papaya Tree
Reserve with OpenTable
Papaya Tree is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8,868 of 23,228 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$20 - US$41
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Description: This restaurant has been serving Thai food since the 1960's. We have been told by locals that it was one of the first Thai restaurants in London. The owners at the time were officials from the Thai embassy in queens gate, London. They missed their Thai food and could not find any restaurant serving this 'new to uk' cuisine. So a small group of them decided to open their own Thai restaurant. We took over in the spring of 1997 and began renovations. Our aim was to give the restaurant a fresh, bright and contemporary feel with touches of Thai charm. Walls were painted white, dark wooden floors were laid and low voltage 'chopstick' halogen lighting was installed. To this day, we are proud to be the only Thai restaurant in Kensington which is run, owned and cooked by Thai staff. Tapas dining is a great way to sample many dishes without committing to only a few dishes! You may order just from the tapas menu which you can enjoy smaller portions of our most popular dishes or order the conventional way of starters from the tapas menu, then your main course. Whichever way you order, we hope you will enjoy your meal!
Reviewed 16 March 2014

[wrong email used before]
When you arrive you go downstairs, the room is very white ! However, the chairs are covered in very thin white covers - which are covered in dried grease !!! Ok it is dry, but still please they could clean or replace them. Service is ok, but not attentive and they try to add auto service charge of 12.5% . If they want to do this be more attentive The food is ok - nothing special and they have no pickled chilli as an accompanying side. No crackers while you wait an age for your drinks to be delivered. Prices are ok

There are newer reviews for Papaya Tree

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Prices are ok

Reviewed 10 December 2013

We stayed at a hotel near this restaurant and stumbled upon it for lunch. The prices were reasonable and moderate. I am giving this a four star because you have to walk down a flight of stairs and there are no windows in the lower level. Nicely decorated in all sterile white. Service was good. I wanted to substitute rice noodles for egg noodles and they kindly obliged. I thought my dish was good with an interesting spice that I couldn't quite make out, something I haven't tasted before. No complaints.

1  Thank Bluejello
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Terrible. First impressions, sweet little hide away down stairs off Ken high street, nice enough decor.

Ordered our food, they told me, my dish was not available AS THEY WERE SERVING THE OTHER MAINS!

Never ever have I had this before, I have been told what I ordered isnt available at many places but never as others are about to start! For this alone its atrocuious.
HOwever, The worst and most worrying thing was, the food that did arrive for my husband was COLD. Cold and luck warm rice,

yes the plates they served them on were stone cold, so I tried to allow for this, but it was not busy, the kitchen is within spitting distance of the seating area, so no travel time for it to get cold and with rice, that worries me a great deal as one of the worst food poisonings you can get is off rice. I was hoping to feed some rice to my baby but I didn't touch it nor my baby.

There was ZERO customer service, no apology for the food for me being non existent, no aplogy for the cold rice, but even more than that, they just did not care.

I would therefore steer well well clear of this place.

When people don't give a toss about serving you stone cold food, alarm bells ring.

The only other table I heard were Amercian and it was pretty quiet otherwise for a saturday at 8pm, so I guess most locals are aware of the disaster that is the Papaya tree.

I wish we had looked at these reviews first before booking. such a shame. it was my husbands birthday too. it was a horrible end to an otherwise wonderful day.

and we paid £27 for a starter one main and a few drinks!

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Ok, we went for the set menu, starters were good, nice selection.
Soup was inedible, unbelievably spicy, so hot that it could not be eaten, watched the gentleman at the next table choke and gasp for breath on it, both spoke to the waiter and in return got a "not understanding Thai smile", main courses were the opposite, pretty tasteless.
Food was served by what looked like casually dressed students, their only aim being to get food out to the tables.
Not a very good experience.