“Best outdoor place in City!”
Review of Coq d'Argent

Coq d'Argent
Ranked #602 of 23,689 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$31 - US$125
Cuisines: French
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City of London
Description: Coq d'Argent serves classic French food in its spectacular rooftop setting at No.1 Poultry in the City of London. In addition to the main restaurant, the brasserie offers a less formal menu at lunchtime, while the outdoor terraces and gardens provide a verdant oasis in the heart of the Square Mile.
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I went there with my friends for drinks after work to enjoy the sunshine. The terrace was crowded but still felt really nice! The view is amazing! Definitely going back on another sunny day!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,232)

Reviewed 29 May 2012

We eat at Coq d'argent when the occassion calls for it. For a drink the roof bar is fun, in almost any season, standing on the prow of the ship, Titanic like. But where it really comes into its own is for dinner. A glass of champagne before dinner and then its off to a table with excellent bread, innovative dishes and first class service. Attentive without being in your face. Friendly without being frivalous. We will go again when the mood takes us.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I haven't been to Le Coq d'Argent for many years. There are pluses of course, the location, the outdoor terrace on a sunny day, the City views; but this style is let down by the lack of substance. Is hould be clear that this was the brasserie side; not the fancier restaurant.

The first joy is to be treated like a irritant when you call in for a reservation; the second is when the front of house staff treat you with contempt. Perhaps this is an attempt to faithfully recreate a classic Parissian brasserie; in which case "bravo!". But really, as my guest said, it they dont like dealing with people they shouldn't be front of house. I dont need to go to a restaurant to be abused.

The food is no better than average for a City eatery - and poor for the price. A simple rib eye steak (£26) was poorly chosen by whoever buys the meats... it was good between the connective tissue, but there wasnt enough goodness - and for the most part my medium rare was blue. This shouldn't have been presented to table. The pepper sauce was lacking any pepperiness (more like a red wine sauce with a few peppercorns thrown in). And there were no vegetables at all (for that price one might expect fries to be included).

My guest's main course of salmon with a sauce and some vegetables was okay, but dull, and the vegetables that were on the plate didn't seem to bear any resemblance to those billed on the menu.

The sommelier was pleasant and enthusiatic; which was more like it.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

My husband and I visited Coq d’argent yesterday and we haven't stopped smiling and talking about it afterwards. We are already planning our next trip there!

The venue is a sight to behold from the minute you enter.

We had checked out the website so had an idea of what to expect.
It met our expectations and so much more. In fact, we were expecting to see a nice outdoor area but nothing too special (in central London) but were then surprised with a massive outdoor area with a beautiful roof terrance garden, flowers and plants and amazing views over the city.
Once you are up there you don’t have a feeling of being in central London close to the Bank and it just feels like you’re in a green paradise. It may be that the beautiful weather and late may contribute a lot to that beautiful atmosphere and lovely flowers and plants with beautiful scents but this is the best looking restaurant that I’ve been to in central London.

It was incredibly busy (and it was Tuesday after 8pm), the place was completely full but the staff are fantastic at whizzing around the tables and checking you are enjoying your evening and are attended.

Every one of the staff was attentive and superb with wonderful attitudes. We did have to wait a bit for a table outside as we preferred it that way but this was also said over the phone when I did the booking in the first place so we didn’t mind waiting. Instead, we had a lovely time in their beautiful garden enjoying drinks from the bar. The waiter even made an alcohol free pims for me as I am 8 months pregnant. In a huge jar, so both, myself and I were sorted for drinks for the whole evening.

Food: we went for the set up menus as I couldn’t order half of the delicious dishes due to my pregnancy and the set up menus were the ones we fancied anyways in given circumstances. But we are planning to go back soon and go for some other special dishes.

Price was more than fair, 30 GBP for 3 courses, or 25 for 2. I had salmon rillets for starter, pork cheeks for main and white chocolate mousse with blood orange sorbet as a desert. The main and the desert were amazing, so tasty and well presented. I can’t recall when I was as pleased with a desert as with that one. Delicious! My husband had salad and salmon and he loved it too.

Was it expensive? We paid much more for average menus in other restaurants. To be fair though we went for the set menus which reflected the final price. The atmosphere, the staff, the food, the drinks, the service, the gardens and views..

To be in smack bang central London sitting at a beautiful table in an incredible setting on a roof terrace being served by very polite and professional waiter, enjoying the stunning views and delicious food waiter is worth the money. Would definitely recommend!!
HIgh class french dining in London!

Reviewed 21 May 2012

but on a summers day if you have a private section outside, there are fewer better places in the city!
Frustrating place this - but like so many places in London, you put up with the frsustrations because on the rare occassions the weather plays ball, there are not many place like the coq!