“Nice food, rude and bored looking waitresses”
Review of Hare&Tortoise

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Earls Court
London, United Kingdom
“Nice food, rude and bored looking waitresses”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Went along with a friend after a long time discussing it. I had the curry laksa for the main and ordered pan fried chicken gyoza and a green tea to start. My friend ordered the roast duck and rice for the main with California maki rolls and prawn tempura to start. The food was good. Good for the prices and tasty with big portions. However, I found the staff really rude and looked like they were bored half the time. I didn't feel welcome at all when we walked in, there was no greeting. She just looked at us strangely. I have to say this is not reflective of every member of staff, we only had bad interactions with two staff members, the one seating us and the one bringing the bill and helping us pay. There was a girl that cleared our starter plates that was friendly and even asked us how the food was which was nice. I cant identify any of them however because I don't know their names. Its a shame that the bad ones are possibly letting the team down. I found the waitress that seated us hovered when our food was delivered and I looked up and just found her staring at me whilst i was eating my food which was uncomfortable. She had a weird stand offish vibe generally. Our food was put in the wrong spots on the table, we weren't asked and we had to swap plates. There was no smile and no warmth form her at all it just felt like a school dinner hall monitor telling you where to sit, waiting for us to hurry and finish our food and then leave. When our food was finished I asked for the bill, expecting the waitress to bring the bill and then move away whilst we discussed it but she just stood there with the card machine. I found that there was service charge on the bill that was not optional and it was laughable seeing as we'd received such bad service. When calculating the bill in a hurry with the waitress hovering over us we made a genuine mistake and left out the service charge. She pointed out the mistake very abruptly and bluntly. "Its supposed to be this amount". We paid the remaining bill in full.She took the card out of the machine and just dumped the bank card and receipt on the table and walked off not even a thank you. We walked out of the restaurant with not one word from a member of staff. That's not even customer service its common decency to say things like hello, goodbye and thank you. Absolutely no manners. The team need a pep talk. I wouldn't visit again in a hurry because although the food was good, It wasn't the best food i'd ever had and I could probably find the same standard of food or higher somewhere else around London with much better service. Wasabi on High St Ken would have probably been a better option to be honest. Their sushi is nicer and fresher and the staff at the till are very friendly despite it being a more 'food-to-go' sort of place.

• Visited March 2014

• Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
“Good selection and all freshly made to order”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I am in love with this place and the menu it has to offer. It has excellent ramen and the chicken here is really tasty.
The mains are usually under £8 and very big portions are served up. I would suggest not filling up on the starters as, tasty as they may be you will struggle to finish.
Green tea has free top ups or you can have soft drinks.
They have got Sake on sale but it is a little expensive so I pass it up.

They have a seasonal menu as well as established dishes. There are no "English sides" such as chips. This is strictly Asian food only.

• Visited February 2014
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
“Quick, plentiful and reasonably priced. Didn't tip though.”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I ate here as it was Walkable from the hotel I stayed in and recent reviews were positive. The original welcome was friendly and both food and drink came very quickly. How anyone can say this is expensive needs their head testing. £9 in London for a main and soft drink in a clean restaurant is cheap. Sadly the waitress, Ling who brought my bill couldn't manage the slightest smile - so I didn't manage the slightest tip! There is no excuse for a waitress not smiling. If your day is so bad that you bring your misery on others, take the day off!

• Visited February 2014
Muscat, Oman
“Excellent food with a very rude waiter”
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Visited today for the first time having passed many times & always seen it busy. We were seated quickly and ordered a lovely Katsu curry and Phad Thai. We were very pleased with both. Unfortunately our experience was marred by the rude attitude of our server Wun Ting. We found her approach discounting so much so I am writing the review as I leave the restaurant incase I forget her name. Other than that we will be back as the food is very good.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“I keep coming back!”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I tend to eat at this restaurant each time I'm in this part of London. It caters well for vegetarians with several starters, and main dishes, containing tofu. The food is fast, fresh and fabulous. The restaurant is functional in many ways, but it's clean with well serviced toilets. The staff are attentive and polite. Above all you can eat a good meal cheaply.

• Visited January 2014