“Satisfying burger and chips”

Smollensky's on the Strand
Ranked #5,890 of 23,009 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$17 - US$45
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: A London institution for over 20 years, Smollenskys on the Strand is situated in the heart of the West End - the perfect stop off after a hard days shopping around Covent Garden, visiting the open air cinema at Somerset House, a trip to the London Transport Museum or The Royal Opera House, are all around the corner.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Satisfying burger and chips”
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Read mixed reviews so not sure what to expect. However we couldnt fault service, food, etc. Went for 2 courses for £12 and both had burger and chips. As Sandra would say it really hit the spot. Very satisying. Desert equally good.
We went on a Sunday night, so didnt expect much of an atmosphere, but it wasnt too bad.
When we return to London we will be back.

• Visited May 2011

London
“Terrible - or non-existent - service...”
Reviewed 2 June 2011

I went to Smollensky's last night with a friend, intending to have a few cocktails at the bar before having dinner using a 50% off food voucher I'd printed off the day before.

The first cocktail was ordered with no problems, but then I checked the 50% voucher and realised that it had expired the same day I printed it off. I went and explained this to a waiter, and asked if I could take advantage of the offer anyway: after some consultation with a manager, he said no. They were of course entitled to do so, even if it made little sense: the same offer was still available and valid on TopTable, so presumably they make money from it - why turn away a paying customer?

We decided to have some more cocktails instead, but my friend's attempts to order one were fruitless as the barman looked everywhere but at us. Hardly anybody was at the bar, and yet for ten minutes he assiduously attended to everyone else, cleaned glasses, checked ingredients - did everything but take our drinks order. So we just left - what else can you do if a place doesn't want to take your money?

• Visited June 2011
“Great food and service!”
Reviewed 8 May 2011

Can't wait to see you again. I went the other day with my friend, I had a great meal, enjoy the food and great service. I would recommend to anyone .

London, United Kingdom
“Amazing Atmosphere”
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I went there few days ago for my friend leaving party. The food was good and the service was excellent. Very friendly and relaxing atmosphere. After the dinner we enjoyed few nicely made cocktails at the bar. All together it was a nice evening out.

• Visited May 2011
Burntwood, Staffordshire
“Service charge a bit steep, but excellent overall”
Reviewed 16 March 2011

My wife and I went to Smollensky's early Saturday evening before our visit to the Vaudeville Theatre, which was a couple of minutes walk down the Strand.

As we arrived, the lady at the front desk was very pleasant and showed us straight to our table. There was a live jazz pianist playing and our initial impressions of Smollensky's were good.

I chose 2 courses from the pre-theatre menu (for a very reasonable £12). The vegetable soup starter and the chicken pasta main was simply delicious. My wife ordered from the Al la carte menu and was similarly impressed. We shared the Peanut Butter Cheesecake for desert and it was to die for!

We had a bottle of prosecco, which I thought was a tad expensive at £26, but this is central London after all. I thought it was a little cheeky at add a 12.5% service charge to the bill as a matter of course, but we'd had such a pleasant couple of hours that we thought it was worth it and didn't raise it as an issue.

We aren't regular London visiters, but we said we'd definately return in the future.

• Visited March 2011