“It was OK”

Ranked #7,440 of 22,544 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$17 - US$46
Cuisines: American, British, Bar
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: A London institution for over 20 years, Smollenskys on the Strand is situated in the heart of the West End - the perfect stop off after a hard days shopping around Covent Garden, visiting the open air cinema at Somerset House, a trip to the London Transport Museum or The Royal Opera House, are all around the corner.
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
“It was OK”
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Eight of us ate at teatime following day doing museums

Loads of hen parties - noisy but OK

Service was friendly and reasonably efficient but kitchen was SLOOOOWW

I've had better meals but OK for price

Wouldn't rush back

Bromley, Kent
“Very enjoyable meal”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I had taken a theatre and meal deal with lastminute, and the reviews of Smollensky were making me worry.

The restaurant was quiet area at 6pm, only getting busy towards 7pm. It takes light from the nearby streets and I was placed by a window looking out onto a church I had never noticed before, off the Strand.

The place was getting busy but my waitress was lovely, and kept an eye on what I might need.

I had the Lastminute menu, and chose a burger and fishcake - I'm on a diet but don't ask!

The fishcake was tasty, with fresh rocket and a mayo sauce I didnt taste.
The burger was very good, with the skin on fries. The coleslaw was good, though I really shouldnt have eaten that.

I will return there especially if I can get that table again.

• Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
“didn't no it was there”
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

If it wasn't for the man outside handing out flyers would have walk right passed and have done many a time ,walk down stairs and was greatly surprised half price cocktails (not all of them ) beer cheaper for 2 hours not bad didn't eat but had a look at menu looked good, plenty of room ,toilets the best I've been in for a while in the city well done .

Visited March 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Shame - it used to be good”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Haven't been for years and was keen to go back as staying over the road. However a group of us walked in and then walked back out again, no atmosphere, sterile, not what I expected...

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Helen P
Lancashire
“A lovely Birthday meal....”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Originally we had booked a table for 2 for 6pm but after a very cold and long day walking around London we arrived at 4.45 and asked if we could eat earlier. Not a problem at all.
The staff knew it was my birthday and had put balloons on the table and I was wished a happy day by more than 1 member of staff.
The menu has lots of options and the food was very fresh. We shared pitta and dips (humus and sour cream) and we both had a different burger- both were cooked exactly as we had asked. Presentation was also great.
I had a voucher for a bottle of prosecco which was delightful (menu cost £29.50 - just sign up online for this birthday offer) and my partner had a diet coke.

Total cost £34.00

I disagree that the place looked tired or that there was no atmosphere. Yes at 5pm it was quiet but there was music and as the place filled up there was a buzz. It was a little dark but then candles were put on tables and it created a lovely ambience. We were not rushed at all but we were looked after pleasantly.
The toilets also were great - clean with hand lotions etc.

A great trip!