“Pre/Post Theatre deal that takes some beating.”

Smollensky's on the Strand
Ranked #6,086 of 22,827 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$17 - US$45
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: A London institution for over 20 years, Smollenskys on the Strand is situated in the heart of the West End - the perfect stop off after a hard days shopping around Covent Garden, visiting the open air cinema at Somerset House, a trip to the London Transport Museum or The Royal Opera House, are all around the corner.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Pre/Post Theatre deal that takes some beating.”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

An (almost) hidden gem adjacent to The Savoy Hotel on the Strand. The entrance is a double door width and could be easy to miss, however, once you have been there you will not forget it. We went for a pre - theatre meal at 5.30 p.m. and it was half full, but we wished we had gone in earlier as the bar lounge looked very inviting! A few pre show drinks would have gone down very well. The waitress very quickly attended our table and made us feel very welcome and took our order. We did not have to wait very long for our food to arrive. There were 4 of us and we all tried different things and all were delicious, including the starter, main and dessert. We picked a medium priced bottle of red which was also very good. We cannot wait to go back for the great service, great food and great atmosphere.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Yorkyboi

London
“Average food, average service - above average prices!”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Myself and my husband ate here pre theatre. We ate off the very small, not very A La Carte menu.

The decor is OK, bit dark, but we had a nice table next to the window. The service was friendly but a little slow. We skipped starters and both had the fillet steaks. There was no bread offered and no free nibbles. The menu outside the door offered cherry tomatoes with our steaks but they did not materialise. The steaks were well cooked and tasty. Chips were average. No mushrooms, no tomatoes, no peas, no side salad to liven the plate up. We did order onion rings; they were average. All in all the main course was a bit mean looking for £24 - just a steak on a plate with a small portion of fries and some wilted rocket. The peanut butter cheescake was fabulous - but again the portion size was mean.

The meal, 2 steaks, bottle of wine, bottle of water, side order of unpleasant coleslaw, onion rings (5) and dessert cost £82 - and that was with 25% off the food. So a lot of money for not a lot of food. Oh and 12.5% gratuity was added on - £9. I could have asked for it to be removed but didn't want to make a fuss.

In comparison myself, husband and son all ate at a fabulous country pub the previous weekend. Three main courses (with far more choice) all double the size, three drinks and two desserts were only £60. Much, much better value.

I'd not go back there again.

• Visited April 2014
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“A hidden surprise”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

When you walk through the Strand, you don't really notice Smollensky's being there but if you go through the front door and down the steps, you'll find a large and comfortable restaurant, with a good decoration and vibe and that can accommodate very different types of guests from families to business customers. In our case, we were quite a chaotic group arriving at different times and having to leave at different times to catch flights out of London. The staff was nonetheless accommodating and delivered well prepared food as per our requests. In brief, a very enjoyable meal and a place worth returning to.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Fred F
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
“It was OK”
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Eight of us ate at teatime following day doing museums

Loads of hen parties - noisy but OK

Service was friendly and reasonably efficient but kitchen was SLOOOOWW

I've had better meals but OK for price

Wouldn't rush back

Bromley, Kent
“Very enjoyable meal”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I had taken a theatre and meal deal with lastminute, and the reviews of Smollensky were making me worry.

The restaurant was quiet area at 6pm, only getting busy towards 7pm. It takes light from the nearby streets and I was placed by a window looking out onto a church I had never noticed before, off the Strand.

The place was getting busy but my waitress was lovely, and kept an eye on what I might need.

I had the Lastminute menu, and chose a burger and fishcake - I'm on a diet but don't ask!

The fishcake was tasty, with fresh rocket and a mayo sauce I didnt taste.
The burger was very good, with the skin on fries. The coleslaw was good, though I really shouldnt have eaten that.

I will return there especially if I can get that table again.

• Visited March 2014