“Food so-so & service could be better”

Hazuki Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #10,117 of 24,242 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$0 - US$51
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Popped in here quite late with my wife, who's Japanese, and knows a thing or two about Japanese food. Took 7-8 minutes before the waitress gave us menus and we thought about leaving and going elsewhere. The waitress was rushed off her feet and was serving the whole restaurant, albeit it was only half full. Once we had ordered the food came quite quickly. Appetiser (tuna) was OK, next course of tempura was rather too heavy and greasy (not done as the Japanese like it). Wife had a sushi & sashimi mix which she said was "OK". I had salmon teriyaki - a large piece of fish and quite nice. Rice was a bit clumpy and served in a not very Japanese bowl. No accompanying pickles were offered. We both had Japanese tea, for which they charge extra (many Japanese restaurants offer this on a complimentary basis). Bill came to just under £50/-. Unlikely to rush back there.

2  Thank Sennockian2014

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Customer service is non existent here. Walk Into the place and it's empty. Approached by an older female staff (who walks and talks like a zombie), no greeting from her. We tell her we have a booking and she stands there staring at us then looks away at her list on the wall. She doesn't even tell us to sit down, she just nods and so we help ourselves.

During serving of food, I ask for more soy sauce as the sushi was dry but her response is "there's already soy sauce inside the sushi" and walks away. Who does this?! The other younger female staff was a little better but the same bad service ultimately.

We also witnessed other customers coming in and having the same problem, and one customer actually says "so can I sit down??"

Basic customer service skills are lacking and it beggars belief for a restaurant in Trafalgar Square to have this poor service. No wonder they are empty and need to offer big discounts on groupon!

If you want a restaurant with good service, do not come here even if they give you free food. AVOID!

3  Thank Bluewabbit
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Having read a couple of the negative reviews, I was rather nervous to eat here on a Saturday night just before the theatre, but it was fantastic. We had a groupon voucher and had a wide range of sushi and fish starters.

The service was also really great. We told them we had just under an hour and they rushed everything to us - even brought the card machine up with the bill as we were so short on time.

Overall, we couldn't have asked for more. We had a range of 10 or so starters, mains and sides and everything was very good and fresh.

I should also say this restaurant is priced slightly high for the size of the portions - but considering the quality of the fish and the very central location, I don't think this can be faulted.

1  Thank Katherine R
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Been there twice with a Groupon voucher - definitly recommended some sort of deal otherwise prices might be a bit off (unless you not a big eater - we enjoy a nice quantity of sushi on the table). Fish was very fresh and tasty - I recommend the tuna and mayonnaise rolls and the california rolls. Tempura was a bit disappointing. Apart from the prices (for a bunch of tempura, sushi, sashimi and dumpling we would have paid £57 as a couple - with the voucher we paid £17...). Nevertheless is a great location, and the food is very very good.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

I had a groupon voucher although I have been to this restaurant about a year before. I pre-warned my friend as I remembered the service being rather slow but we were not in a hurry so it wasn't an issue. I prefer to sit upstairs as you can normally get a cosy space.

I would recommend the set menus as you get variety and they are reasonably priced. As I love sushi and sashimi I went for set menu C. You get a chef's special (changes) miso soup, sashimi, tempora followed by sushi. All this for £21. I think they have read the reviews as you can not fault the service now. You get course after course, as it's not hot you can eat as quick or as slow as you want. The sashimi are decent sized pieces.

If you go for green tea it will be topped up throughout the evening which is really good. The plum wine is also nice. They are also quite good if you don't want to rush off after dinner (probably depends how busy they are) as we stayed for at least 30 minutes after we'd finished.

It's a convenient location and a nice place to come to catch up with friends. If you don't go for the set menu it is a little bit more pricey.