“Disappointing”

Ranked #17,140 of 24,250 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$11 - US$26
Cuisines: Bar, Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Set in the wonderful location of Hampstead, The Freemasons Arms is a unique country pub and restaurant that blends rural charm with modern flair. We invite you to dine out in stylish yet welcoming surroundings and sample our seasonal menus, perfectly complimented by an array of cask conditioned ales and fine wines
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I've been to the Freemasons twice in the last week and don't intend to return! I spent last Sunday afternoon there, in the busy beer garden, with friends. It took 15 minutes to be served at the bar, to be told we could only order the garden menu outside, not the main menu, which meant we couldn't even get a burger outside! The garden menu wasn't extensive, and items were running out. After ordering, we were told there would be an hour wait. The food did actually arrive quicker, and when it turned up it was actually good.

I returned a week later on a Friday night. It was another sunny evening, so I went to the beer garden. On the tables were menus - the main menu and no garden menu! Mixed rules... I went to the bar to order, to be told it's only table service! I hadn't seen any sign of waiters taking orders, so went back to the table and flagged down a waiter. My friend and I ordered 2 superfood salads and rustic bread. The salads arrived quickly, but no sign of the bread. Apparently the cook had forgotten to make it, and we were asked if we still wanted it - yes! The salads were stingy portions (apart from the nice salmon steak, which we added as an extra) and overpriced. After dinner we ordered 2 more drinks. Around 10 minutes later, only 1 arrived. We asked the waitress for the other drink. 5 mins or so later and nothing. So we asked another waitress for the drink, which came quickly. Then the other drink arrived, and we explained it had arrived via someone else and she told us not to worry!! I think that should be the other way round...

We were given the bill as the garden was shutting, but nobody came to take our money. We went inside and had to queue for 10 mins for someone to take our money!

Rubbish service, overpriced, average food. The only thing going for this place is the big beer garden!

4  Thank Melanie S

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I came here with my Father yesterday for lunch. We entered the bar area and there were 3 members of staff not appearing to be busy but no-one greeted us. I was looking around for a menu and saw a rack with them so helped myself. The lounge area with ts settees and arm chairs did not look great to eat from so we walked though to the more formal dining area and stood there for a moment. I saw a member of staff and called over to ask if we could sit anywhere as it was almost empty inside. The waitress took our food order and I ordered 2 half pints of guiness. The waitress came back with 2 glasses of light coloured beer and looked mystified when I said they were not guiness. She went away I thought to get the correct drinks but no - another member of staff came back with the same drinks but at least he understood we wanted guiness. We ordered some food and have to wait 35 minutes to be served. My father had a cheese and mushroom tart with fresh asparagus which he said was excellent and I had a salt beef sandwich on ciabatta with fries. Both dishes were excellent although there could have been more salt beef.
The pub is huge with a massve garden at the back and seatng outside in the front. The food was very good and not too expensive but the service let it down.

2  Thank sheepygold
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We had a family reunion here last Sunday on a really warm day and it was heaving! That said the service was good. The food was good considering the numbers that were being fed. The venue is lovely, noisy and almost unpretentious. I would like to return on a day that was less busy but that maybe never, it seems very popular given it is a stones throw from the Heath. Overall good.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This is a lovely looking pub with a great beer garden in a beautiful location. I went with a group of friends for drinks and dinner. When we sat down for dinner we ordered starters to share and were having a great time and were so busy chatting that when we decided to finally order our mains, we were told the kitchen was now closed but no-one told us. After a discussion with the manager, the chef kindly cooked us our chosen mains. The night was not ruined. After reading other reviews, I agree that the customer service lets the place down. The manager however was great.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We had lunch and a few drinks here.....very nice establishment , fresh food nice service and comfortable , worth a visit .