“Very good business hotel and personal service”

Andaz London Liverpool Street
Ranked #124 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I have stayed at the Andaz Liverpool Street a number of times already and I will seek to summarise all my experience in this report.

My London office is nearby so this is the preferred hotel whenever I travel to London on business. The hotel is conveniently located next to the Liverpool Street tube / railway station. The reception area is small and tends to get very crowded during checkout peak hours (ie. around 11am to 12pm) but generally the staff there provides excellent checkin service. There is no need to stand by the checkin counter for checkin as you would need to in most other hotels. The staff can check you in whilst you are comfortably seated in a sofa (or standing if all seats are taken) with their iPads. They can also swipe your credit card with the iPad connected swiper as well. A drink is also typically served during checkin.

The hotel and their rooms are nicely furnised. Their rooms are generally quite spacious and nicely decorated with a contempory feel. What I also quite like about this hotel is that all non-alcoholic drinks in the fridge are also free and it comes with a fairly good variety of choices from joices to sparkling water.

One negative about the rooms is that some of the rooms are "interior" rooms so there is no exterior looking window. It didnt bother me too much as I hardly look outside anyway on business trips.

During my stay about a year ago there was an incident where housekeeping knocked on my door before 9am one morning three times (I did not have my Do not Disturb sign out). It was really annoying because it woke me up too early when I was suffering from jetlag! I made a complaint and the hotel dealt with my complaint very promptly and satisfactorily. What I also like about Andaz is that, on my recent stay, they left me a card in my room to appologise once again about the incident (they definitely have kept a record!) and this is wonderful.

To avoid the long checkout queues I chose to express checkout. They would leave your bill underneath your door overnight so you can check it before checking out. Not too longer after dropping my key-card and checkout envelope at the drop-in box I got a proper VAT invoice on my email inbox - very efficient!

So although my stays at Andaz was not without incident but they really dealt with it promptly and satisfactorily and full marks from me!

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior facing room.
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Thank you very much for your review and the wonderful comments following your most recent stay with us. I am really pleased that above all you enjoyed the level of service provided by our great team here and on behalf of everyone at Andaz I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best, Arnaud

Write a ReviewReviews (3,387)

Reviewed 3 July 2012

I just completed my stay at Andaz hotel in London, a Hyatt property. There is a very odd method of checking in that, surprisingly worked extremely well and efficient. The lobby is an open space with only one fixed computer for check-in, but there are a number of clerks that roam the space with electronic tablets checking in guests. They also seem to act as the bellhops on occasion. The whole experience is very personal and really seems to work quite well. The customer service is also incredibly efficient. As I waited for the porters to hail cabs for my group of 6, I became very upset that they could not make it happen and went inside to find a manager. Typically hotel employees try to obstruct this process by refusing to comply or make you wait forever, but in this case a manager stepped out within a few minutes and took charge of the situation. I later got a phone call from the guest services manager apologizing and thanking me for bringing the problem to her attention - very professional.

OK, now on to more important items. The in-room refrigerator is stocked with a bunch of goodies that are completely free and restocked each day. The only charge was for alcoholic beverages. The bathroom has a heated towel rack. Beds are solid, firm and comfortable. I try to reserve my 5-star ratings for really spectacular places that spoil me silly, this is the only reason for my 4-star rating - I have no problem with others rating this as a 5-star hotel. I would definitely come and stay here again when staying in London. Hyatt NEVER disappoints.

I am a Starwood SPG Platinum member, but chose to stay here over a Starwood property because the reviews for Starwood properties in London were not good. Because I had acquired a Hyatt credit card that came with 2 free nights that I needed to use before August, it became a no-brainer to stay here. I would probably stay at Hyatt hotels a lot more often if only they had as many special deals for their frequent users as SPG does. Hyatt does not do free upgrades for platinum members or 5th night free for using points like Starwood does. It might be nice if Hyatt were to get around to maybe offering a free hotel night for every $50k-$100k charged on their credit card, but with the exceptional quality of their product and services, I guess that they don’t really need to.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review and I am delighted to read you had a very nice stay here at Andaz Liverpool Street. Thanks also for the great comments on the team and I will make sure to pass those on to everyone here. In the meantime, I look forward to welcoming you back to Andaz very soon. Best, Arnaud

Reviewed 30 June 2012

...and all of us ( the kids and wife) loved it ... It's a lovely hotel ... But the difference was the service. The staff were just superb .. They made every effort to make us feel special without being intrusive ... For instance they spent so much time in ensuring we had the right directions for where we were headed ... In another case they were on the road trying to get us a cab big enough to fit all our bags ... Terrific stuff

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Piyush621
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments following your recent stay with your family here at Andaz Liverpool Street. I am thrilled to read you had such a nice stay and I will pass on you fantastic comments to whole team here. In the meantime I very much look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best, Arnaud

Reviewed 30 June 2012

The Andaz is a very nice hotel. It is modern and hip and the rooms are very nice and roomy. The staff is great and well-trained. This hotel is very convenient to my office, as well, just around the corner from Liverpool Station. I have stayed here three times now and find it to be a lovely experience. It also has lively bars and restaurants for late night crowds. One note of warning-- my colleague got an interior room with NO WINDOWS. Be sure to insist on a window. After the first night he was moved at his request. Overall, this is a great hotel for business as well as pleasure. I will definitely stay there again.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for your great review and I am really pleased to read you have stayed with us on many occasions while travelling on business. All our bedrooms have windows, only some of them are are indoor facing which some of our guests actually prefer. I look forward to welcoming you back to Andaz on your next trip to London. Best, Arnaud

Reviewed 29 June 2012

I've stayed in a number of different London hotels and I usually select them based on proximity to whatever meetings I'm attending, but this is a hotel I'd go back to regardless of location logistics. It has one of the best hotel health clubs I've ever seen. The staff are extraordinarily helpful and friendly. The soft drinks and minibar snacks are complimentary, as is the internet service which is usually high-priced in London hotels. It is close to Liverpool station for the Tube. I slept very well here. Overall great for a business traveler.

Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Thank you very much for choosing to stay here at Andaz Liverpool Street. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us so much and very much look forward to welcoming you back to Andaz soon. Best, Arnaud

Reviewed 28 June 2012

I stayed for 1 night with my 2 young children (age 6.6 and 3.5).From arriving at the hotel to leaving the following morning the staff were very attentative to all of our needs.Young children and business do not always mix but the staff made it possible.

Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments following your stay with your children. I will make sure to pass those comments to the rest of the team. In the meantime, we all look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best, Arnaud

Reviewed 28 June 2012

Virtually everything about this hotel is five star. From the doorman who greeted us with a welcoming smile to our departure three days later all of the staff were polite, attentive and helpful.

The room was very comfortable and well equipped. Air conditioning functioned well. Excellent huge (40inch) flat screen samsung TV and a Bose sound dock for the iPod were good touches. Wi-fi was simple and worked very well. The contents of the mini bar, except alcoholic drinks, were complimentary which was a very nice touch.

The only minor negative on the room was the toilet flushing system. The hotel has installed a very environmentally friendly flushing system akin to that used on aircraft. This is obviously a good thing - but it also means that flushing the loo is very, very noisy so if you need to have a quiet trip to the loo during the night and hope not to disturb your partner your chances are nil. I'm not going to mark the score down on this point - it is just something to be aware of. And amazingly we weren't conscious of the noise from the rooms either side of us so the soundproofing must be good.

Luckily we were on a package deal that included a full breakfast because the prices for the full breakfast in the Eastway diner quickly mount up. It would be easy to spend £40 for breakfast for two when the fry up is £11, coffee is £3.20 and juice £3.20 and a 12.5% service charge is added. (Service was always excellent so you could have no reason not to pay the discretionary charge).

But the breakfast was terrific. Cooked to order and as requested (bacon well done). It came piping hot and was full of flavour.

The hotel is in the financial district so it is quiet at weekends but that suited us just fine and it was only a 10-15 minute walk to St Paul's Cathedral with many interesting sites on the way. And there is a tube station right next door.

All in all absolutely top class.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Thank you so much for choosing to stay here at Andaz Liverpool Street. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time while staying with us and most importantly that you appreciated the high level of service provided by our wonderful Andaz team. Thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best, Arnaud