“Stylish hotel close to Liverpool Street station”

Andaz London Liverpool Street
Ranked #126 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Mere, United Kingdom
“Stylish hotel close to Liverpool Street station”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

A very good hotel with stand out customer service. I always enjoy staying here, the rooms are stark but still comfortable, reception areas look great. Breakfast in 1901 is very good, the attentive and personalised service continues in here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thank you very much for the great comments following your recent stay with us and I will make sure to pass them onto the rest of the team. In the meantime, I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Andaz soon. Best, Arnaud

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I stayed here for two nights in July. I was greeted and checked in by my "host," while sitting on a sofa in the lobby. The lobby is lovely, by the way. She then escorted me to my room, showed me how everything worked and where it was located, then gave me her card in case I needed anything during my stay. I was impressed.
I had a king room, which was very spacious for a solo traveler. I loved the crisp, clean, decor of the room, and it was very spacious. BUT - the bed was the hardest bed that I have ever had the misfortune to nap on. I awoke from my nap in pain. After calling guest services to see if a pad of some sort could be placed over the mattress before bedtime, I was told that the only thing they could offer was a duvet placed under the bottom sheet. That helped soften the bed slightly, but only a little. I ended up sleeping on three of the five pillows, placed vertically down one side of the bed, and resting my head on the other two. Sometimes you simply have to improvise!
The room was very well appointed, with robes, slippers, and a complimentary mini bar (excluding alcohol). Water, juices, sodas, and snacks of some sort were always available in the lobby, as well. I did take a cookie from the snack area with me several times when I passed through, along with the ginger beer with chili - yummm! I was told that there were strawberries and cream in the afternoon, and I saw wine and canapes in the evening.
The water in the shower of room 558 had a mind of itself. No matter how it was set, it would suddenly run very hot. I learned to stand in the very back of the shower, lather up, then quickly rinse in the stream, after testing the temperature of the water at any given moment. This method was repeated, until everything was clean. There was never a lack of hot water, but there was often extremely hot water.
The Andaz is beautiful, most of the service was excellent, and it was very convenient to the Liverpool Street Tube Station, Spitalfields, etc. The uncomfortable bed and the bravery necessary to complete a shower would make me think twice before staying here again, however.

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank angela o
, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Thank you very much for choosing to stay here at Andaz Liverpool Street . Although I was very pleased to read you liked the hotel itself and the service the team provided, I was disappointed to read you found the bed too hard as we usually get very positive comments however I will follow up with with the team here. I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced with the shower, please rest assured this is not reflective of the usual level of service we provide and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Andaz in the near future to show you what we truly made of. Best wishes, Arnaud
Palm Desert, California
Reviewed 7 July 2012

My wife and I spent 4 nights at the Andaz Hotel, Liverpool Street. First, every member of the staff was absolutely the best. From a flawless check in to expert concierge advice, everyone made our stay very pleasant.

One example of this great service was our first night when we decided to have a casual dinner in the pub. After receiving our drinks, the waiter came over and very apologetically explained that they had closed the kitchen early; however, the brasserie was open and offered a wider range of choices. When we attempted to pay for our drinks, he insisted they were "on the house" and actually led us personally through the hotel to help us find the restaurant and then met with host to be sure we had a great table.

Another very nice touch was the free use of the mini bar throughout our 4 day stay, with everything included except alcohol. The free high speed internet never failed. The proximity of the Tube made travel very convenient for the entire stay.

Now for the average part. We had a small 2 room suite. The bed was terrific but the bath was quite small with the shower absolutely tiny. On more than one occassion just turning around caused the shower door to open and the floor to flood. There was only one very small sink with limited shelf space for storage.

The small room off of the bedroom was equiped with a sofa, a chair, and a floor lamp. With the exception of one small picture, all of the walls were painted an institutional white with nothing on the walls to provide a sense of comfort. The room was very cold and uninviting. The door to this room had no hardware to secure it and would not stay closed by itself. We had to use a piece of luggage outside the door to keep it marginally closed. The main drawback was that the only TV in the room was at the foot of the bed instead of being in the "den." As a result one of us could not watch TV while the other slept, an especially frustrating fact in that we had travelled 8 time zones and had trouble matching our sleep patterns. While having just the one TV was a bit disappointing, I would suggest they locate it away from the bed if they insist on only the one set.

In summary, the great staff and good location did not justify the $700+ per night rate, a rate that did not include breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share the comments following your recent stay with us. Although pleased to read you enjoyed the high level of service provided by our great Andaz team, I was sorry to read the room didn't match your expectations and will forward your comments for our teams to review. In the meantime, I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Andaz in the near future. Best wishes, Arnaud
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Stayed at the Andaz for three nights in early July with my wife. The hotel itself and the customer service were outstanding! Both my wife and I travel frequently for business and rarely do either of us see the quality of service we received at the Andaz. To sum it up:

- Great location on the trendy East side of London. While is is in the business district, there is plenty to do for vacationers...Tower of London, London Bridge, and the pier are all within walking distance, and Liverpool Station is about a block away with easy tube connections to the rest of the city.
- Our room was outstanding, the Andaz was kind to upgrade our room because it was our anniversary. The room had all amenities you will need and then some!
- The service in the hotel exceeded all expectations, from the initial check into the turn down service (including water and face mister on the nightstand).

Highly recommend the Andaz if traveling to London either for business or to relax and enjoy a few days in the city.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments following your stay with us at the beginning of the month. Congratulations on your recent anniversary and I am delighted to read we were able to upgrade you for the occasion. Thanks also for the great comments on the team here who certainly go out of their way to make our guests feel like at home. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Best wishes, Arnaud
England
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Stayed in May and we were really impressed by the hotel. It felt newly renovated and had a really, modern, sharp feel about it. The staff were efficient on check in (using iPads no less) and the whole hotel made you feel special. There were lots of different bars to explore including a champagne bar although the 'traditional' London Pub was pretty poor if truth be told. Location spot on next to Liverpool Street Station - all in all would recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for the comments following your stay with us back in May. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay at Andaz Liverpool Street and look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best wishes, Arnaud
San Diego, California
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I frequently stay at 4 and 5 star hotels around the U.S. and occasionally outside of the U.S. for both business and pleasure and I was extremely impressed with the quality of this hotel's accommodations, and quality and excellent service from all hotel personnel. I will certainly recommend this hotel to others. Location was great, very close to the Thames River, Tower of London, St. Paul's Cathedral and right next door to a major Train and Tube station.
Our stay included 5 adults and 1 two year old staying at the hotel we had 3 separate rooms. Every detail was attended to and the staff was very accommodating to the 2 year old and while this hotel is well suited for business travelers they went out of their way to accommodate our family on vacation travel as well.

Room Tip: Room size is generous and we had a nice view facing the city.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Thank you very much for choosing to stay here at Andaz Liverpool Street. I am thrilled to read your great review and so delighted the team was able to make you feel so comfortable while staying with us. Thanks again for your comments and I will make sure to forward them onto the rest of the team. In the meantime, I look forward to welcoming you back to Andaz very soon. Best wishes, Arnaud
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Stayed at the Andaz Liverpool for the first time in June, 2012. Great location for business in the City. Very modern rooms are comfortable. Great breakfast. The staff is very attentive and most pleasant. They are very helpful. One of the best hotels in London. Plan to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments following your recent stay with us. I am thrilled to read you had a pleasant stay while staying here at Andaz Liverpool Street and on behalf of the whole Andaz Team, I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best, Arnaud