“Great Honeymoon Stay”

Ranked #125 of 1,068 Hotels in London
bristol
“Great Honeymoon Stay”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights here for our honeymoon between the 2nd September - 5th September. We were upgraded to a larger room and there were fresh flowers awaiting us in our room. The room was large , clean and modern. The bed was large and very comfortable. We were impressed with the complimentary soft drinks and snacks in the room which were replaced daily. Service at the hotel was excellent and the staff were always friendly, professional and willing to help. We ate in the Broadway the first night -great food, although the portions were a little large. We ate in Catch on our final night- again the food was excellent. The ambience of the hotel was fantastic and we loved the lounge area on the 2nd floor. The hotel being in the city was close to Leadenhall and Spitalfields Markets and also Brick Lane. Being so close to Liverpool street station it was easy to get to and from the Olympic park and also not too much of a walk to monument and the South Bank. Loved this hotel and would love to visit again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such wonderful comments following your stay with us at the beginning of the month. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time spent with us and also that you enjoyed walking around in the area as it is certainly filled with great markets, boutique shops and art galleries. Thanks again for your review and we also do hope to welcome you back to Andaz Liverpool Street very soon. Best wishes, Arnaud

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

A bit overwhelming at first being met with an army of greeters brandishing iPads, but actually this really works! Reception is completely open plan, no stuffed shirts behind a desk eye-balling your less than perfect travel attire! Welcomed by very professional and polite staff and offered complimentary refreshments in the foyer whilst our reservation and parking were arranged. Orientated to the hotel and shown to our room by the same staff member, Sara. The decor is very modern and very tasteful. Apparently one of the function rooms is an old Masonic temple which you can ask to see if its not in use.

There's a good selection of restaurants within the hotel, a champagne bar and English pub-none of which we sampled as we had plans elsewhere but all looked pretty good. (see reviews for Catch, 1901, Eastway and Miyako at Andaz)

Our room was a standard double, the window in the room was circular due to the fact it was in the roof space on the 6th floor. With hindsight we were offered the choice of a lower floor and wished we'd taken it as the view was a bit disappointing. But that's really the only complaint I can make about it. The room was spotlessly clean, housekeeping came twice a day emptied bins and replenished all the stocks of lovely toiletries. The bed was very comfortable and spacious and the linens crisp and clean. The bathroom was of a good size with a powerful shower and quick filling bath and the water was always piping hot.

The room was also equipped with a safe and mini bar. The soft drinks and snacks were complimentary, the beers and spirits were £5 each. The television in the room was a good size with a good selection of channels to choose from. There was also a Bose iPod docking station and plenty of sockets to plug in chargers etc. The room also had individually controlled heat and air con which was simple to set.

We opted to have breakfast served in our room the two nights we were there and the service was spot on! Served what we wanted when we wanted.

All in all you absolutely get what you pay for! Its expensive but its worth it, we were treated so well by the staff and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want to see what going on outside, opt for a room on one of the lower floors
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your great review. I’m delighted to read you enjoyed your stay while staying with us and most importantly that you appreciated the level of service provided by our fantastic team. On behalf of the whole Andaz Team, I look forward to welcoming you back to Andaz Liverpool Street very soon. Best, Arnaud.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

My wife (Zoe) and I stayed at Andaz for our 5th Wedding Anniversary, and thought it was fantastic. Our room was great, including mini cakes that were waiting for us on our arrival. We dined at their restaurant, 1901, where the food was tremendous. The chef had even made Zoe's favourite dessert as a surprise. Zoe nearly cried, which is surely the sign of a good surprise. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. I would certainly stay here again, and without a doubt dine at 1901 again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Thank you very much for choosing to stay here at Andaz Liverpool Street to celebrate your 5th wedding anniversary. I am thrilled to read you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us as well as your dinner in 1901. Thanks again and on behalf of the whole Andaz Team and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Best wishes, Arnaud.
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

From the moment I stepped into this hotel, the service was amazing. The staff were so helpful, totally professional, yet friendly too. I was visiting for the Paralympics so the hotel was ideal for getting to the Olympic Park. My room was fantastic, clean, nicely laid out and the bed was so comfy, I think I slept immediatley my head touched the pillow! My daughter and her family were in another room which they loved too. My only regret was that my stay was not for longer, but can't wait to go back when we go shopping at Westfield.

Room Tip: Our rooms were on the 5th floor
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for the fantastic feedback following your stay with us during the Paralympics. I am thrilled to read you enjoyed the hotel so much and will make sure to foward your review to the rest of the team. Again, thank you so much and I look forward to welcoming you back to Andaz Liverpool Street very soon. Best wishes, Arnaud.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 15 September 2012 via mobile

1st impression wasn't great. It felt like an army of greeters coming at me with iPads. A very friendly introduction followed and I can see the iPad check in taking off. Nice room, nice service, very clean and very helpful staff. It's not cheap but London's London.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am so pleased that overall you really enjoyed your time with us at Andaz Liverpool Street and in particular the service our team provided. Thank you also for the feedback on your initial first impression, it will be forwarded onto the relevant team. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again on your next London trip. Best wishes, Arnaud.
Iroquois, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2012

In early August, I had the opportunity to stay at the Andaz for two evenings.....bookending a journey to London to volunteer at the 2012 Summer Olympics. It was the perfect beginning and end to probably one of the most memorable experiences of my life! I most definitely plan a return visit and would not hesitate to recommend the Andaz to friends or family.... London blew me away & so did the Andaz....

The staff were professional, helpful & very knowledgeable without being "stuffy". From the offering of a 'welcoming drink' & sushi to a conversation about a little of the Andazs' history it was evident to me that my hostess was proud of the Andaz and was enjoying her job... The service & meals in the hotel's 1901 & Eastway restaurants were equally enjoyable.

My room on both evenings were beautiful and extremely clean. On the first evening, my tastefully decorated room on the third floor looked out onto the Atrium of the Japanese Lounge area. On my last evening I had the opportunity to stay in Room 150. Absolutely beautiful! At the foot of my king-sized bed was a well-appointed desk sporting the most impressive & beautiful view out into the "glass & irons" of the Liverpool Street Station. Walking through the room I passed through a richly paneled walk-in wardrobe/bar/safe area and into one of the most beautiful bathrooms that I have ever seen in a hotel.

The word I would use to best describe the Andaz is "Art"..... It was 'layered' giving way to something noticed on second look that hadn't been seen on the first.... It was able to touch my senses is such a positive and relaxing way that I anticipate returning to give it and London the time that they both deserve to be appreciated....

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback. I am so pleased to read you had such a nice time staying with us while volunteering for the Games. I will make sure to pass on your great comments to the rest of the Andaz Team. In the meantime, I do look forward to welcoming you back to Andaz Liverpool Street on your next London trip. Best wishes, Arnaud.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We recently had tickets on two consecutive days to the London Paralympics - as we live a two hour commute from London, I decided to book a hotel somewhere close to London's Liverpool Street station as a treat for my wife, as it what also her birthday, so that we could enjoy the Games without 4 hours of travelling in between!

I booked this as a 'Top Secret Hotel' on LastMinute.com, paying £139 for a Saturday night - I'd been inside the hotel before with work events (despite living 2 hours away, my office is 100 yards from the hotel!) and team members over from the 'States who stay there talk highly of it, but it's the first time I'd actually stayed there and I was quite pleased when I received confirmation from LastMinute.com that the Andaz was where we'd be staying.

The building is one of the old station hotels that were probably erected around the latter part of the 19th century, and is situated directly over Liverpool Street station. It's a strange hotel in many respects as you could very nearly miss it - the ground floor now consists mostly of restaurants, bars and shops, all of which open directly onto the street (as you'd expect); it was only when checking in that I found out that these are actually are part of the hotel. The entrance to the hotel is relatively unobtrusive (permanently manned it seems with welcoming and polite concierge staff) and opens onto a very nicely furnished and contemporary lobby,

Check in is done via iPad (which works quite well) and the staff were wonderful. There was actually a problem with my booking - the LastMinute confirmations had not been sent across - but I can't fault the way this was dealt with. At no point was I made to feel the problem would not be resolved, I was offered a drink for the few minutes I was kept waiting and then had my room upgraded as a courtesy too. Finally, I was given a name with the number of the member of staff helping me ('Laura') and directed to my room. I was truly delighted with the service.

Back to the building... exiting the lifts onto the 3rd (or 4th, I forget which!) floor, you move from the contemporary styling of the lifts and lobby back into the beautiful architecture of the original hotel, with intricate plaster cornicing, and a beautiful huge stained glass roof light at the top of a winding Victorian staircase. It works incredibly well and the new and old have been considerately integrated.

Access to my room was by touch key - no slot to enter the key into, and the room (a 'King' I believe) was an absolute delight. Beautiful high ceilings and again, subtly mixing modern and contemporary. The windows are secondary glazed so you can't open them but that's probably a good thing as you're in the middle of London's financial heartland, above a train station and next to a busy road, but I heard not a thing from outside. Furnishings were superb and then I took a look at the bathroom - wow! A modern twist on Victoriana - superb tiling, beautiful fittings and a huge amount of space. Finally, there's free wi-fi, free local calls from your hotel phone (great if you're from outside the UK and only have your roaming cell with you) and free snacks and non-alcoholic drinks from the mini-bar. I've not yet once ever experienced this in the UK (I have elsewhere in the world, just not the UK) and it's really to be commended.

Finally, as I was settling down, a tap on the door to find a small snack (of bread, pesto and olive paste) had been sent up with a note apologising for the delay in check-in. I was impressed.

Any feedback for the hotel? Just a few minor issues that I let the hotel know as part of a feedback survey I received - I didn't realise the key card was a 'touch' card - I spent a minute or two trying to find the slot to put the key into in the door before a member of staff passed and showed me that you just tap it on the lock - I'm not sure I was told this when checking in. Within the room, there are no plug sockets next to the bed, so you can't charge your mobile next to you when sleeping - I use my mobile as an alarm clock and, equally, don't want to have to hunt around the room for it if it rings during the night, so that's a bit of a shame. And finally, whilst there's not much that can be done about this, the bars and restaurants don't really feel part of the hotel - it's not obvious how you reach through the hotel (if that's possible at all for some of them); we did think of venturing into one of the bars and descended the beautiful staircase to find we were walking to the middle of a private wedding party! We made a swift exit but it was a little confusing. Perhaps the hotel could provide some guidance on this when checking in.

Having said this, the hotel, as their swansong, actually replied to my survey and thanked me for my feedback, commenting individually on the matters that I raised - again, it left me feeling most valued as a customer. They're really got customer service nailed!

Normally when travelling I tend to try and stay in a Mandarin Oriental but I think, next time, if there's an Andaz in town I may just give it a try. It really was superb!

Room Tip: If the other rooms are like mine, you'll have nothing to worry about!
1 Thank foggy74
Thank you ever so much for taking the time to share the comments following your stay with us during the Paralympics. I was really pleased to read you enjoyed your very first stay with us although you had been to the hotel before. Thank you for all you great comments and in particular about the level of customer service which we do take very seriously. Thank you also for your other comments which we will review internally. Although you don’t live so far away from us, we do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Andaz Liverpool Street in the near future. Best wishes, Arnaud