“good hotel in the City”

Ranked #117 of 1,089 Hotels in London
NYC
“good hotel in the City”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

Good , modern hotel located in London's City. I believe they changed management a couple of times but now belongs to Hyatt. The property has a couple of restaurants on premises, gym and showers downstairs and fantastic staff. Very well managed. Sleek, modern design, maybe a tad used in some rooms ( i have stayed here a couple of times) but a very good hotel for the business traveler overall.

3 Thank NYC_yuppie
ArnauddeSaintExupery, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Thank you for your review and comments about the great team here at Andaz, Liverpool Street.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. With my best wishes, Arnaud

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Londra, Regno Unito
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

Staff have perfect understanding of what great, luxury-hotel service should be like. Business suite and area perfect. Spa/ steam area modern, elegant, luxurious. A choice of bars and restaurants to suit anyone; I only wish I'd had time to try the Japanese. Entire hotel suffused with a subtle scented candle perfume (I'd like to get some in fact). Room spacious, elegant, modern and well designed.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
ArnauddeSaintExupery, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Thank you for choosing Andaz Liverpool Street for your stay in London. It was great to read and share your comments with the team. We do sell gift boxes of the hotel fragrance should you be interested. Simply contact the hotel directly and we will be happy to assist. Once again thank you so much for your great review and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

I stayed in the Andaz for 12 days on business. Overall, a pleasant experience, and give the place credit for trying and generally succeeding to be different from the average hotel. It is just not the smooth experience you might expect from a hotel like this.

The room was clean, comfortable, and spacious. Right on top of Liverpool Station, the access to public transport from the hotel is fantastic, and a real selling point. Furthermore, you are near Shoreditch, which is a solid night out--but don't expect the hotel bar to serve you anything past 11 or 10, depending on the night.

The lack of a true front desk is a nice try at something different, but I think it leaves them a bit short on the traditional service one expects at this pricepoint. The lobby is spacious and attractive, and the 2-3 front desk attendants hang around a table off to the right as you enter, and have a laptop to check you in, look for directions, etc. It sort of felt like I was shopping at Abercrombie or the Apple Store, with the staff wandering around in the open lobby. It actually must be mentally exhausting for the staff. Seriously, give these people a desk to hide behind so they can check their phones or surf the internet when its not busy--instead they are exposed 360. No wonder they were slightly disengaged at times.

In any case, was there for awhile, and I got the sense that nobody at the quasi-front desk really knew who I was. This is not the fault of the staff, who are helpful and friendly when you approach them, but the lobby set-up makes it difficult for the staff to be friendly and warm in the way the business travelers appreciate. I had a few strange experiences.

First, when I arrived, early in the morning my room was not ready. The manager was apologetic, and it only took 20-30 minutes, but I was exhausted from the flight and had paid for the night previous and communicated this to the hotel specifically to be able to go right to bed. I guess the room I had paid for was actually occupied by someone that night, despite my attempt and dollars to make sure it was empty for my arrival. They apologized with a free breakfast voucher, which does not seem adequate for a 300+/nt room. Thanks I guess. They later offered to do some laundry for me, I gave them the laundry and was told they would only do 50GBp worth of laundry, which at the hotel rate is about 2 shirts and a sock. I had already sorted the laundry and filled out the form, instead of getting to the office. Thanks for wasting my time, I will take my laundry back upstairs.

In the middle of the lobby on my way to bed after a night out, I was asked to show my key card by security (this has never happened to me before). I sort of expect security to know me, and if they don't I expect to be approached more discreetly, particularly when I am well-dressed and not drunk.

It is these small and admittedly petty complaints that probably expose me as a jerk, but also seem indicative of a lack of attention to fine detail expected in a luxury hotel. I attribute this in no small part to the set-up of the place, because virtually every single person working at the place is pleasant and helpful with some prompting.

Oh, and three more brief things. My shower was poorly designed--one of those with no curtain and only half of a glass door. Most distressing was the huge step down to the floor--I am a very athletic guy, 6 feet tall, and I kept thinking "my God, so this is how I tear my ACL, climbing out of a shower?!" Beware if you are older, short, or have a bum leg. The restaurants are good, but often closed. The gym is the crown jewel here--huge, tons of machines and weights (bench, smith, etc.), always open, and beautifully done.

Overall, I would go back, but if so I will be more assertive regarding my expectations with management.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Timothy P
ArnauddeSaintExupery, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review highlighting the service and quality of room you were allocated during your recent stay with us. As hoteliers we always strive to provide every guest a 100% flawless experience. It is clear that in your case we have fallen short in a few areas. Rest assured that the various matters you mentioned have been thoroughly investigated with our team to ensure that all aspects are dealt with satisfactorily. We delighted in reading your comments about our fantastic team and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Andaz Liverpool Street again soon. Once again, many thanks and please do contact us if you wish to discuss your experience further. With my best regards, Arnaud
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

We just stayed here last weekend. My husband dealt with the check-in before I met him in the lobby and he said it was a very smooth process. We were shown to our spacious standard room by a man named Ruben who showed us the room features and the bathroom.

From reading other Trip Advisor reviews, we expected the bathroom to be noisy in advance and Ruben explained that bathrooms at the Andaz use the same plumbing technology as on airplanes as the building is on top of Liverpool St station so the water must be pumped up instead of draining down. I must admit the noise from the sink and the loo was a bit annoying but really nothing to get your knickers in a twist about.

The bed was super comfy, the decor was sleek and super clean, the free soft drinks and snacks in the minibar were a nice touch. There some good little details such as including a hairband with the shower-cap so you can avoid wet hair. Was a bit disappointed the hotel pub called last orders at 11 on a Friday night. But the surrounding area is really vibrant so if you want a late night, it's not a problem.

The staff were courteous and the tiny blonde lady who got our stored-luggage for us on Saturday evening was very helpful. I'd definitely return.

Tip: wasn't sure which exit to take from Liverpool St Station to get to the hotel. The easiest way is to go up the escalator and exit the station turning left. Otherwise take the Broadgate exit.

Room Tip: We had an indoor facing room on the 4th floor - it was quiet as the grave.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
It was great to read your feedback here and we are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. We very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
With my best regards, Arnaud
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

Grand hotel offering a superlative service from check-in to check-out, spacious rooms, hi-tech facilities, fab restaurants (try 'Catch' fish restaurant), '1901' for fine dining, 'Eastway' and Miyako for delicate Japanese cuisine (in fact try all of them!), impressive gym facilities, tranquil secluded inner courtyard with soothing music and invigorating scent. Personalised service from Paco whilst checking-in who pointed out all the products and services available within the hotel, lovely staff caring and attentive without being obtrusive, loved the room service and of course the complimentary minibar selection and wi-fi (speedy and robust). City location ideal for the Shoreditch fashionistas and business travellers alike, thumbs up all round. Well done to the Andaz crew and Hyatt Hotels for this spectacular gem of a hotel.

1 Thank Lionel B
ArnauddeSaintExupery, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review and you may rest assured that your kind comments will be shared with the whole team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon. With my best wishes, Arnaud
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

great big rooms, minimalist but tasteful decoration, great restaurants and bars, trendy place to get an afterwor drink. Great check in procedure, and personalized attention. Located in Liverpool Street, great for business in The City

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
Thank you very much for your review and for the great comments following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the concept which is unique to Andaz and most importantly the attentive level of service provided by our team. On behalf on the whole Andaz Team, I look forward to welcoming you back to Andaz Liverpool Street in the near future. Best wishes, Arnaud
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

My wife and I stayed at the London Andaz in early January and as in the past the staff and hotel continues to impress. The staff was attentive and the room comfortable. We used in room dinning for dinner one night and they exceeded our expectations.
Made for a comfortable and enjoyable stay.
Important. We like the Andaz concept which is not your usual hotel experience. Their is no "check in desk" and no concierge. the managers fulfill that and more. Definitely works for us.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for the wonderful review following your most recent stay with us. I am so pleased to read you continue to enjoy your time every time you stay with us. Most importantly, thank you for the great comments on our fantastic team, I will make sure to share your review with everyone. In the meantime, I look forward to welcoming you back to Andaz Liverpool Street very soon. Best wishes, Arnaud