“perfect hotel, perfect staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Andaz London Liverpool Street

Andaz London Liverpool Street
Ranked #111 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Istanbul, Turkey
“perfect hotel, perfect staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

everything about hotel was wonderful; location, service, staff, foods, rooms etc. the only thing that i can say that the room was a little bit dark, at least my room...Staff is very helpful but i should add some special comments about the perfect gentleman in the reception, Mr. Ali..very knowledgeable, very helpful man, helped us a lot during our stay in london.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tim F, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you so much for this great feedback. It really made our day to read how much you enjoyed your Andaz experience and especially the great comments about Ali who has been with us for many years. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back to Andaz Liverpool Street soon again. Kind regards, Tim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Rushden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Just go back from a 2 night stay at the Andaz. Great location for Spittalfields, Brick Lane etc. Comfortable room with great bed & pillows. All the staff were very attentive & happy to help in anyway they could. Simple check-in/Check out procedure was a pleasant change from a lot of hotels. Really appreatiated the complimentary drinks & snacks in both the rooms & reception area.
Will visit again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for this fantastic feedback, we are so pleased to hear that you will return. It is great to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and its proximity to creative East London. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Best regards, Tim
Gravesend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

The only criticism of the hotel is that the restaurant is separate from the reception,only minor. The staff were very accommodating and willing to help. The room was vey comfortable and tastefully decorated. Breakfast we had was excellent with lots of choice.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent experience at Andaz Liverpool Street. We appreciate the great comments about our restaurants and especially the service of our team. We hope to welcome you back soon again. Best regards, Tim
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Fabulous room- spotless. Signature cake on arrival. Staff helpful and nothing too much trouble. Ate at the East view restaurant- delicious rib eye steak and buttered spinach. Brilliant position for bus hopping throughout London.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for this great feedback. We are very happy that you have celebrated your birthday at Andaz Liverpool Street and that the team was able to make your special day more memorable. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back during your next trip to London. Kind regards, Tim
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

After a couple of nights at this hotel, I am just not sure what it is trying to be, nor if it works. Its a marriage of some classic London grand architecture with a modern funky aesthetic and service style.
I dont like the reception. Neither the sapce, which is funky, but never felt calm and relaxed, nor the way the staff roam with Ipads.
The room I had was fine, but quite plain. Its only window was into the internal"courtyard" but had a gauze curtain which could not be drawn back, so I always wanted some more "natural" light. The bathroom was good with seperate bath and shower. The room was blissfully quiet and with good wifi (with no password, always makes me wonder about cyber security).However the room was very plain in terms of decore and ammentiites.
A few times during my stay I wanted somehwere peaceful to relax, particulalry on my departure when I had to wait for a late flight. On the ground floor there is a noisy pub, noisy bistro (Eastway), the funky recpetion, champagne bar and the fine dining. I ended up in the champage "lounge" having a cup of tea. The Eastway was good for a casual meal, and I liked the formal dining room where breakfast is served. I also used the shower facilities at the gym prior to my departure and they are excellent.
The location is not great for tourist sights, but is very accessible due to Liverpool St station. Also good for city offices.
Maybe its just that the style is not for me. I also found it pretty expensive for what I got, especially the plainess of the room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Tim F, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at Andaz Liverpool Street. We are sorry to hear that you did not like the style of the hotel though are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed our Health Club, Catch Champagne Lounge and 1901’s delicious breakfast. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Andaz during your next trip to London. Kind regards, Tim
westport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I've been back to the Andaz twice since writing my initial review for stays of 3-4 day duration.

Since then, Tim Flodin has replaced Arnaud de Saint-Exupéry as GM. I haven't noticed any falloff or change in the always excellent Hyatt customer service. I think Hyatt was very careful with their first Andaz lauch, bringing in Mr. Saint-Exupery from the phenomenal in every way PH Paris Vendome to launch the brand (his next assignment is opening the Andaz Tokyo). Mr. Flodin inherits an awfully good system and what seems to be an excellent staff.

Mr. Saint-Exupery's progression from PH Vendome to the world's first Andaz is a pretty good way to understand the brand, and what to expect from the Andaz, Hyatt's "boutique" brand. Basically you get Park Hyatt level service quality, with a more jazzy design aesthetic.

Service *quantity* is slightly below PH, meaning there is no dedicated concierge desk, a smaller army of housekeeping staff, and generally a lighter staff touch. Since I travel here mostly on business, I rather like the low-touch approach. But make no mistake, the guest services staff in the lobby is more than capable of managing your typical concierge tasks.

The "jazzy design aesthetic" is largely inherited from the old Terrance Conran Great Eastern Hotel, but, practically speaking, what it means to you is that the stylish rooms vary widely in size, layout, and location. Moral of that story, if there is some pet peeve that sets you off when traveling, make that fact known to the staff before you get your key. For details see my initial review, but off the top of my head such concerns might include: loud toilets, street noise, separate shower, bathtub, table for meals for two, high floor, big window, small window, near the elevator.

My biggest pet peeve, which seems to be pan-London, is the shower. Since Brits tend to prefer baths, the showers in the tubs are unpleasant. First you have to climb into the tub - *up* into the tub - waaay up into the tub, then you jam yourself into half of the narrow tub so that the tiny splash guard prevents a flood. Getting out is a trick, as well; a big step out and down, out of a slick tub. And don't grab the towel rack for balance - it is actually a towel heater, which becomes very obvious upon first contact.

The Andaz London will always suffer in my eyes since I generally travel from London to Tokyo, where I stay at the fabulous Tokyo Peninsula, my favorite hotel in the world, which is actually cheaper at my corporate rate.

So it's worth making clear - I really like this hotel, I really like the Andaz brand, and although I ding the location largely on tourist grounds, it abuts the office I work at when I am in London, so it is awfully convenient for me!

I gave it four stars in this review to reflect my view that although the service is top notch by any standard and the food options in house are great, but the location isn't for everyone, and you might get a room you don't love. And those bathtubs... To me that adds up to 3.5 stars, the average of my two reviews.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank screwjack
Tim F, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Jack, thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent experience. We are delighted to read how much you enjoy the Andaz concept, the dining options as well as the service of our staff. Thank you also for the comments about the bathroom which we will take into consideration for any upcoming refurbishments. Best regards, Tim
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Well, this is my third and last night and I really don't want to check out of this fabulous hotel. It's really the staff that goes the extra mile and makes you feel like such a special guest here. Alex, Sarah, others, are so helpful and kind. Try for a room in the wing containing room 258. The ceilings are taller and the architecture has more character. If you can manage an upgrade with $/points, I highly recommend it. I've so enjoyed being in a Junior suite at the end of the hall, which is quiet.

The hotel has been refurbished in a very modern way while still keeping some charming old architectural interest. There are some funny noises including loud plumbing sounds, as others mentioned and you can hear your neighbors a bit, but this didn't bother me at all.

If you are an early riser, ask for a room away from their service rooms where housekeeping refills the minibar carts and takes care of their other duties which is rather noisy in the mornings.

I really enjoyed the complimentary minibar with waters, juices and a yummy apricot chocolate granola type bar.

As is usually the case for me, the bed is firmer than I prefer, but there are a variety of pillows to suit all.

When you first enter the wonderful Veuve Clicquot signature orange kinetic sculpture you have the fun vibe right away. While there is not a typical old-fashioned lobby, there are check ins with tablets and you're made to feel at home right away. It's nice to sit in the comfy chairs, get your bearings perhaps for the days adventures and one of the marvelous staff is there to give you suggestions if you want them for places to go, great views and restaurants, quirky shopping, really it seems that nothing is too much trouble for them.i am so grateful or their kindnesses.

My rate did not include breakfast. If I decide to splurge my last morning, tomorrow, I will review the restaurant separately. It looks delicious and I see that other Tripadvisor reviewers have loved it.

While I am going to another hotel which I've been to and also really enjoyed, I am so sorry to leave the Andaz tomorrow and if I could, I would extend another few days. This neighborhood has also become like my little cocoon in London now. I asked for advice about where to explore and because I have an interest in contemporary art, Alex Sarah and some one else suggested Shoreditch and Soho and both areas were quite the enjoyable adventure for me. The first part of my holiday, I stayed in West London which has its own charms but I've come to really appreciate the Andaz location, returning after a busy day just such a peaceful place. Absolutely five star review. Stay here!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank lanago2
Thank you so much for this wonderful review, we hope you enjoyed your last night at Andaz. It is fantastic to hear how much you enjoyed our facilities, the Andaz inclusions and especially the staff of our very attentive hosts. Andaz is on the fringe to the creative part of London, Shoreditch, which is a very up and coming area so I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed it. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon again at Andaz. Kind regards, Tim