“Great location & service”

Andaz London Liverpool Street
Ranked #122 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Congleton
“Great location & service”
Reviewed 6 July 2009

Booked for a one night stay - Saturday night - via Hotels.com - cost was £130.
Only 2 minutes from Liverpool St Tube as you exit the hotel you can see "The Gherkin" is visible just a couple of streets away. Fantastic location for Tower Bridge & the South Bank with it's trendy bars & nightlife. Bit of a different check-in - we couldn't see a desk and nobody was about then someone appeared at an informal standing desk area and checked us in. Stayed in a special needs room - although neither of us is disabled - the guy who checked us in took us up and asked us not to pull any of the red cords - very polite and friendly service.
Bedroom was top quality with Queen bed, cool air con (just the job in the recent heat) and very minimalist decor - good 36 inch plasma too. Bathroom was spacious and bright with wetroom shower. Only problem was there was no plug on the sink - small gripe really and didn't bother to call for one.
Went out for a couple of hours and when we came back someone had been in our room and pulled the cutains and re-arranged the bed linen. I can't say I was happy with staff just letting themselves into our room - so black mark there.
Apart from that everything was great. Breakfast was really good - had smoked salmon & scrambled egg - price was £30 for two as I hadn't booked inclusive b&b via hotels.com.
I'd recommend for the location and friendly staff & quality room & bed - just ask them not to make any unscheduled visits to your room!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2009

We found this hotel through Expedia and thought it looked very nice and it was in the perfect location for our trip, so we decided to book. As the hotel is in The City the hotel has a lot of business travellers staying on weekdays therefore this rates are double the price through the week and it is much cheaper at the weekend so we did not pay the full rate.
As you go into the lobby the hotel is very grand and contemporary, the staff then checks you in using handheld computers, there is complimentary tea, coffee and fruit juices in the lobby as well as fresh pastries in the morning.
We arrived early on Saturday morning to surprise my husbands sister who was staying at the hotel for her birthday, it had been explained to the reception staff that we would be arriving and that they should let us up to there room for our surprise visit, they were very accommodating and helpful. We also checked in at this time which was very good because it was only 10am. We found the staff very nice and they didn't look down there noses at us, which I had read in previous reviews.
We were asked when we arrived for a credit card which we gave them however what they don't tell you is that they hold £75 until you leave and if you don't have a credit card you are asked to pay £75 per night.
When we got to our room it was very nice, there is a complimentary minibar however there is no alcohol in the minibar. The bed was very comfortable which I have found rare in hotels; there were also lots of pillows which is always good. Our room didn't have a view we were actually looking out into Liverpool St train station which didn't bother us, however in the morning we could slightly here the announcements in the station.
However my husband’s sister was staying in another room on the same floor and although still nice it didn't have as much character as our room. I feel we got value for money however, if we had paid the higher midweek rate I would have expected more from this hotel.
The location is absolutely perfect for seeing London as you have the choice of 3 tube lines which all go to the major sightseeing parts of London. I am defiantly going to stay at the Andaz again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RamsdenFoots
Singapore
Reviewed 2 July 2009

Arrived after a 10 hour overnight flight from the US, walked into the 'reception', looked to my right and saw two guys in suits, standing at a table playing on their laptops.
One guy turned his head, looked down his nose at me over his glasses and said "Hi".
"Do you know where reception is?" I asked
"This is it" he replied
(I couldn't help but think, if this is the reception of a hotel at this price, why don't you turn towards me properly, smile and say something like "welcome to the Andaz sir")
Not a good start.
After he'd finished checking me in I did comment to him that its a little confusing as there is absolutely nothing marking this table out as being the reception.
He replied in an indignant tone "yes, its very different isn't it".

Next, up to the room, he'd given me a room facing over Liverpool Street but unfortunately, when I went to un-pack I opened the wardrobe to a bad smell of body odour. I left it open for a while to see if the smell would dissipate but 20 minutes later no change so, I called reception to ask to change rooms.
It took quite a while for the 'guest services' girl to come up and I had to call them once to see what was happening. She seemed quite flustered when she arrived at my door but said she had found me another room (can a hotel in The City really be that busy on a Saturday afternoon?)

The previous 3 weeks I'd been staying in hot & humid Houston so, once I was un-packed in my new room I thought I'd open the window to get some fresh air.
You actually have to call security to get the windows un-locked, they did this quickly and I threw the window open to enjoy some cool early evening air.
After watching TV for a while I realised someone must be having a BBQ near by as the smell was quite intense however, when I walked over to the window and put my head out I realised I was actually looking over the roof of Liverpool Street train station and the BBQ smell was coming from the exhaust vent from Burger King in the station.
Needless to say, I closed the window and that's the way it stayed for the rest of the week.

The TV gave some problems, it would intermittently flash up big messages on the screen about "Your Sky Box needs to re-boot" and such like although they would try and fix this quickly when I called. I didn't watch much TV for the rest of the week though.

Bathroom ok although the plumbing in the walls makes some very strange noises, I guess because its an old building. The tap on the sink in my room had a tendency to leek and this would flow onto the floor making the floor quite wet. Oh and be careful with the showers, they are of that old style with a big lever for temperature, there seems to be only a small point in the middle for 'warm', either side of that is freezing cold or boiling hot.

Breakfast is ok, if you can find it! I'm guessing they must have had some problems with guests not being able to find the breakfast room as there now seem to be lots of signs on the walls as you go through all the various corridors and up and down stairs to make your way there.
The room they serve breakfast in is very nice, high ceiling and very grand.
The food though is quite average

One good thing I remember was that the room service was quick and the food very good but overall I certainly wouldn't go back to this place or recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed 27 June 2009

Been to London more than 10 times and we finally found home!
Booked a doubleroom with queen size bed, but was "upgrated" to a truly king size.
Nice room with a bath top that fits tall people as well.
Breakfast buffet was absolutly amazing, the spacious restaurant was beautiful.
So, if you want a stay in London and want a hotel with perfect location, service, nice rooms and a breakfast that beats most other hotels, Andaz it is.
It is a little expensive I think, but instead of having trouble with things at a cheaper hotel, I would say that the extra money is well spend.

1 Thank Perhof
Huntingdonshire
Reviewed 27 June 2009

I was looking for a luxury type hotel in London which had availability at short notice and a good range of leisure facilities. I took my boyfriend here for a bithday treat.

It is a stone throw away from Liverpool St station and other tube connections so ideal if you want to visit theatre sites whilst staying in London.

We arrived at the hotel and were greeted immediately by a member of staff who made us extremely relaxed and offered us refreshments. Their reception is an informal area where you are checked in using portable laptops. We were offered a room upgrade which we accepted quite happily!

The room was fine all the usual mod cons flat screen TV and fridge where most of the drinks and food stuffs were complimentary no extra charge! The bathroom was nice it had lovely touches and again complimentary toiletries for you to keep. Both healthy ranges are on offer such as organic apple juice and biscuits to organic toiletries.

We dined in the 1909 restaurant all courses were brilliantly made, especially as I am vegetarian (one that does not like cheese!) they made a meal which was a combination of other elements from other menu dishes and they were most flexible in allowing me to make up a meal plan. The decor and atmosphere in this restaurant was fabulous, whilst you enjoyed your meal a cellist improvised to all kinds of music from mellow to upbeat tracks chosen by a trendily dressed DJ who manoeuvred around the room using a pace maker system (he controlled the order of play with a handheld device) you could if you wish choose tracks from the available music list. You could still enjoy a romantic meal or chat casually with your fellow guests.

We enjoyed a morning in the gym which is well equipped with cardiovascular and weight training equipment amongst free weights they had a Smith's machine and other
comprehensive items if you like to weight train for fitness you would not be disappointed here.

We enjoyed our time in the steam room which is very large. At the time we visited we were the only two people in there so we really chilled out here. Other guest s came by and used the gym etc.

There are massage and treatment rooms available too, at additional cost. We did not try any as they were quite expensive at £100 an hour for a massage, I am use to paying no more than £45 at my local gym. You can also have beauty treatments if you book with the spa staff. We did not try any as we were only there for the evening until mid-afternoon the next day.

We checked out about 11.00 am and were able to leave our bags in a storage room so we could do a bit of local exploring. We visited Spitalfields market which is under a roofed area. There were loads of places to eat and generally chill you can buy designer
goods made by the stall holders who were all very nice and friendly.

We got back to the hotel and had a late breakfast there in their Catch Restaurant, service was a bit delayed but again they accommodated my vegetarian needs effortlessly and although we had to wait some time between the first and second course the meals were healthily made and delicious.

I would definitely stay again at the Andaz again. We enjoyed this hotel it is somewhere listed in the 40's to 50's for rated hotels in London.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
nyc
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Last stay here (until earlier this month) was 2 years ago, when hotel was named the Great Eastern. Location on top of Liverpool station is fantastic for City/East visits, and the re-do of the Great Eastern is an improvement by Hyatt chain. Gym is very good, but layout of hotel due to placement over the station is convoluted, as what may be placed "vertically" in other venues necessitates horizontal placement here. Bfast, for instance, calls for getting off elevator on Floor 1 (not ground floor) and walking over into another building. Plumbing also resembles cross between what one might find on a airplane (high pressure toilets) with a shower from a caravan. Wifi either is underpowered or is being used by many teenagers streaming video. Also, for a modern place, some rooms can be dark and lacking outlets to charge laptops. Very clean place, though, and convenient.

Restaurants/bars during week are populated by local City workers, male thirty-somethings wearing pin-striped suits w/o ties. Several small business meetings were being held in the hotel during our stay. Weekend is slower pace, but hotel is quick walk to East attractions.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 June 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Andaz for 3 nights, and I have to say that there were plenty of positives, but a few head-scratching negatives.

The room that we got on the top floor was rather spacious which is understand is not the norm in London. The big ultra comfortable bed was fantastic (Hyatt always does this right). However, with this being on the top floor of a very old building, the only way to look out the porthole style windows was up, since they were high on the wall. That was strange.

We loved the free minibar and wifi (although it was brutally slow bandwidth for a hotel of this caliber). The flat panel TV was nice and large, however I believe that the list of available channels is very, very limited. I love the towel warmer in the bathroom - great trend in hotels.

This hotel has one of the best hotel gyms I have ever seen.

The downsides seem petty, but it made the trip a little frustrating.

First, we had to get a step ladder for the bathtub. It was a high step up and it didn't feel safe (especially since the handle on the wall was loose). After speaking with the hotel GM, they wound up also bringing us (my wife is short) a non-slip stool, which was better.

Also it appears that this hotel doesn't believe that travelers want to look pressed and clean as the rooms do not come with irons and ironing boards. Upon asking for one, we were given an old crusty iron and an ironing board that not only had a nice tear in the pad (try ironing on top of that), but it also appeared that it had been thrown down a flight of stairs on more than one occasion. When we asked for a replacement, we were given a more steady board, still with a torn cover and another beat up iron with a broken switch on it.

After much back and forth with housekeeping, they finally brought us one more set (after being told that there were no more available in the hotel and the hotel has less than one per room) that was a slightly better iron and an ironing board that had the cover put on backwards (I swear it was comical at this point).

The last issue was for my wife. The hair dryer isn't in the bathroom, it's in the desk - along with the makeup mirror. It's underneath the desk and it pulls up. We didn't know this and even asked for a makeup mirror to be brought up because my wife was having issues in the bathroom (again, she's short). Instead of telling us where the mirror was, they just told us that they didn't have a mirror to give us.

Now, in the hotel's defense, this could have been covered in the "let me show you to the room" that was offered when we checked in, but we declined after having gotten in on a very delayed red-eye. Who knows...?

Overall, the location was fantastic for getting around London and the staff was efficient and pleasant if lacking a certain feeling of warmth. The GM genuinely wants the guests to be comfortable and was incredibly helpful when speaking to him.

Just get your clothes pressed before you go.

1 Thank MattNY