“Delilvering on a semi-hip experience at a great price.”

Andaz London Liverpool Street
Ranked #117 of 1,089 Hotels in London
worldwide
“Delilvering on a semi-hip experience at a great price.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

I’m a thirty-something high end traveler, spending my time between the US, Europe, and the Middle and Far East.

I started out was skeptical of the Andaz Hotel. I mean, who's ever heard of Andaz, what will people say, will they whisper strange things about me? I didn't really want to like it - I'm a hotel snob, I can afford better, I'm used to better, all my snobbish affronts said "no, no, no", but the location was perfect and I didn't want to blow serious cash on a hotel. My "entertainment budget" could feed a village of starving children for a week, or subdue their appetite otherwise, so I decided to pull in the reins on the hotel.

At first glance I liked it – the hotel is located in a beautiful historic building with an exterior to match, the interior is minimalistic cool, and befitting the vibe of the Shoreditch/ Hoxton neighbourhood. As well, rooms were large and offered me real space to move around, not like a central London shoebox. The pub downstairs has a nice vibe to it as well - good for a morning beer, if you’re into that sort of stuff. The staff seem to really care about what they’re doing and enjoy working there – it makes a difference.

But, it’s important to remember this is a $200-300/night hotel, not the Sanderson, Andaz cool is cool, but in kind of a limited cool way, like junior-cool. Maybe it’s cool if you’re the type of person to wear corduroys trousers or khaki dockers when you want to cut loose on the weekend, but otherwise it’s nice, but not quite there. The furnishings are ok, but a bit worn and the TV, in my room at least, was a small flatscreen attached to the wall with a metal swing arm and really sub-standard (perhaps they had to do this because the room was so large that attaching it to the wall opposite the bed would have made it too far from the bed for comfortable viewing). The bathroom was, well, just a bathroom. No spa shower, no Jacuzzi, no his and her bidets, no little toiletries which hold my attention for hours as I try to figure out what they are to be used for.

Overall though, good for you Andaz Hotel, or whoever/ whatever you are (there seemed to be mixed branding from the previous ownership?). You executed well on the offering and provide a strong mid-level hotel experience at a low mid-level price.

Would I return? If I was travelling alone, most definitely, however if was looking for a weekend getaway with the girl friend and we really wanted to indulge the inner hipster, I'd probably go upscale, but that's just me. I think a lot of people would be very happy to spend a few nights at the Andaz, as I was during my last visit - well done.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank RRH_Panta_Rei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
wells, Somerset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

Just got back form weekend here. Great location,opposite Liverpool St station and close to centre and all its attractions. Customer service excellent. Stylish boutique hotel with the Wow factor. Ask for Manni who showed us everything the Hotel had to offer including the amazing Masonic Temple discovered whilst refurbishing the Hotel. Hotel food a little pricey but large selection of alternative places to eat out very close by at reasonable prices. Loved the check in service and complementary snacks and coffee- nice touch. Spitalfields market great. Beautiful selection of bohemian and contemporary goods. Petticioat Lane market just down the road on Sunday also worth a visit. Some bargains and an East End welcome.This particular part of London new to us but will definitely stay here again. Loved it!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 11 February 2011
Dear 6jocelin,

It is with great pleasure that I read your review regarding your recent stay with us. I passed your great feedback on Manny to him, as it's always nice for the team to be individually recognised. So thank you for your great comments on both the hotel and the local area and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

essex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2011

having checked the reviews for this hotel, i booked this for my wife's birthday treat one night including breakfast to stay on a saturday night. great booking in system however the information we were given at reception was not completely correct. first we were offered a morning complimentary newspaper the Independent and told that we take breakfast the following morning in 1901 until 10am or Eastways until 12 o'clock. In fact we were charged £2.00 for the newspaper and had to sign for the breakfast @ £44.00 in Eastways when we could have taken breakfast in 1901 which is open until 12 o'clock during the weekends.
Also is was a very cold day and we could not get our room warm, the room thermostat is adjustable by 3 degrees either way and the towel rail was not on and completely cold, the window was drafty so my wife made a draft excluder using the blanket from the bed. I called reception and they said they would ask an engineer to switch on the towel rail from downstairs and also adjust the room temperature, we waited 30 minutes but still nothing happened, reception ran and said they would send an engineer another 15 minutes and the engineer arrived and said the breaker may have gone in the towel rail after bringing a step ladder to our room he managed to fix the towel rail. In the meantime i spoke to reception and was told to pack our bags as we would be moving room, we waited another 30 minutes and got a call to ask if our new room was OK? very strange considering they called our original room, i explained that no one had come to collect us to move as we were told in the previous telephone call. Another 10 minutes and we were moved to another room, which was much warmer. 10 Minutes later reception called and offer as a complimentary bottle of wine, all good except our room door being knocked 3 times in the morning, surely the hotel has the information that we would be booking out later that morning. Anyway i checked with reception on the way out and they removed the £2.00 charged for the news paper and confirmed indeed breakfast was included. All of this was a pity for a one night stay in a Five star hotel a lot of waiting and telephone calls to sort out the heating and towel rail , making sure we was not charged for the complimentary news paper and the already included breakfast. The evening meal in 1901 was excellent.
Still maybe this was just all bad luck and i should have used the do not disturb sign.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 15 February 2011
Dear Vincent,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments regarding your recent stay at the Andaz. I am sorry to read of the inconveniences experienced during your stay. The issues highlighted have been further raised with our Engineering team and Front Office teams respectively.

It was great to hear though that you enjoyed your evening meal in 1901 and the team appreciated the feedback.

I do sincerely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again to Andaz Liverpool Street to show you our usual high level of service our guests can expect with us.

Droitwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

My wife and I stopped in the Andaz Liverpool St for a long weekend to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary. The staff had prepared the room just as I asked with the champange, chocolate covered strawberries and single red rose on the bed. Inside the hotel you get the feeling of a relaxed atmosphere with beautiful architecture all around you. With the various restaurants and bars you are spoilt for choice if you don't feel like venturing out. Also ideally situated right next to Liverpool St. Station for underground links.

Bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

One night's stay for my husband's birthday and I couldn't fault it. From the moment we checked in (free upgrade from a king to a large king) we were made to feel that nothing was too much trouble. The room was huge, the bed extremely comfortable, the shower was powerful, the free tea and coffee, snacks etc (and wine at certain times) in the lobby is a lovely touch as is the free water and juice in the room. Breakfast was great and our dinner in 1901 was good too (only quibble was our waiter who seemed new so we forgave the less than perfect service). Well located for Spitalfields and Brick Lane and easy to get to Oxford street etc by the tube. All in all, excellent.

• Stayed January 2011
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2011

Service was excellent from the moement we arrived, room was excellent, hotel facilities superb

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 28 January 2011
Dear jonny_boy_Nov_1969,

We were thrilled to read your comments on your recent stay with us and hope to welcome you back very soon to Andaz.

new york city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2011

I think Andaz is really a Hyatt, but what makes it charming is the fact that it is housed within a beautiful old building.

The room I stayed in was a bit small, but the bathroom was very large and featured free wifi, international outlets and a tv.

Of course when in london the last thing you are doing is staying in your room, so it's location next to the tube is pretty great.

The surrounding area is fairly dead at night and on the weekends since it's mainly a financial area, but its proximity to shoreditch and hoxton allows you to easily explore an interesting nightlife.

The concierge were always very helpful. There are two restaurants at the hotel that I didn't try since there were so many options nearby. Room service is very pricey, so buy something at any of the nearby grocery stores if you want a quick sandwich.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple