“Should have read the reviews first.”
Review of Gower House Hotel

Gower House Hotel
Ranked #618 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Why are you asked to pay as you enter the hotel? The answer is because if you waited, you'd leave within minutes. The only plus point about this hotel is the location. Old beds. No room to swing anything. Doubtful cleanliness. Took ten minutes to close what was called double glazing to reduce the tedious road noise.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Johnp880

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Noisy, dingy, dirty. Chewing gum on the walls and hairs all over the bathroom floor. A total rip off. For the money you pay you should definitely get more. And who finishes serving breakfast on a Sunday at 9.30am! Avoid unless your the kind of person used to slumming it on a floor or sofa.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank InchKentley
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Greeted by the grumpy front of house staff member we were showed to our noisy room. If it wasn't so close to the West End I wouldn't have paid to stay here but as we were seeing a show it was nice to have such a short walk to get back at the end of the evening. The road noise is incessant though so be warned!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I'm about to check out of this hotel and must say it's decidedly average. It's clean and tidy and the bed is comfy but it's only single glazed and sits on one of London's busiest streets so the road noise is pretty much constant. We're in a room facing the road, it might be quiet in the back. The breakfast is cereal, fruit salad in syrup, a roll, a mini pastry and a croissant. It's advertised as continental but no ham, cold meat or cheese are provided. The tables are set with a knife, fork and spoon but I couldn't figure out why, apart from appearances, the fork was there, LOL. It's 15 mins walk from Covent Garden which is of course the only reason to stay here, it's not cheap but it's the location you pay for.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed in the triple room with en suite both of which were clean and totally adequate for our needs. The room was on the top floor but the exercise was good for us :)
Everything was clean and the beds comfortable.
Breakfast was continental and the coffee fresh. The dining area is small, considering the number of rooms, but was not a problem when we were there. The staff are polite and efficient.
It was ideally situated between Euston Station and the Strand theatres, which was our reason for being there.
We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Stuart M
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stayed in a single room which must have been one of the smallest hotel rooms I have stayed in. Not much bigger than a box rom. The place however was spotless nod very clean throughout. The wireless worked without any problems. The room had a kettle and tea and coffee making facilities. I had to leave early so cannot say much about the breakfast. The hotel is within 10 minutes walk away from Euston station and very conveniently located in that respect.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Staff is helpful, location is good, but facilities are pretty poor. I stayed in the hotel in September this year for 2 nights. At the moment of arrival, I was asked to pay upfront for the 2 nights - I only got to see the room before paying because I asked to see it (and got some strange looks when what is strange is to have to pay upfront in a hotel). The morning after the first night, they asked me to change rooms as there was some unexpected maintenance work that they needed to do in my room. They offered to move my stuff while I was out visiting - my surprise when I went back at around 8pm to the hotel was that they had moved into a box rather than a room, for which I still had to pay 100 pounds. To make matters worse, that evening while I was reading on the bed (no where else to sit), I saw a big insect (that ended up being a spider) crossing my bed. Receptionist captured the insect for me and at my request, offered to change me to another room - but he explained that that other room, located in the basement, was quite hot due to being next to the heating and overlooking the street so you could not open the window. All in all, a very disappointing experience. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: If you need a single room, check out size of the room.