“Ok if you're not hungry!”
Review of Gower House Hotel

Gower House Hotel
Ranked #631 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My husband & I stayed overnight in this hotel on 23/7/14. The room was clean but quite small although the beds are very shaky & the bathroom very compact but clean and usable. The air con unit was very useful as it was difficult to have the windows open as the traffic was very noisy (I live in a busy area but this was something else!). It is very near to the British Musuem and Goodge Street Station as well as shops etc. I have a dairy allergy so had contacted the owners both by e mail and phone to ask if they could cater for my requirements. After initally saying no, stay somewhere else, I asked for just bread/toast from the continental breakfast and they stated that would be fine, I would provide the 'butter', they had jam etc. It was mentioned again on our check in, all was well until breakfast next morning! They had no toast/bread, couldn't or wouldn't offer me just bread rolls 'because they always put the rolls, croissants and raisin roll in the basket straight from the oven' The coffee was so strong, no one drank it (I'm not a tea drinker), the fruit cocktail was tinned and not very nice, they didn't have soya milk for the cereals, so that left me with ... a small glass of orange juice!
They are refusing to compensate me in anyway because the breakfast at the moment is free whilst the undergo redecoration and they are saying I didn't make the phone call about the toast! There are many other hotels in this street, choose a different one and stay clear of the Gower especially if you have a dietry requirement beyond their menu.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are subjected to a great deal of traffic noise all night. Wifi only free until re...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Gower House Hotel

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just stayed here for one night. The hotel was perfect. It was clean, fresh looking and in a great location.
The staff at reception were very helpful and friendly.
Breakfast, continental, was fresh and on time.
I will stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here in early June, 2014. The room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was small, but newly renovated and worked well. The location was great - close to the Goodge Street Station and the British Museum. The breakfast consisted of a choice of three kinds of cereal, coffee, tea or hot chocolate, fruit cocktail, and a basket of three pastries (one croissant, one raisin pastry, and one roll). Although the breakfast room was small, we were always able to find a table at breakfast time. The staff was helpful and polite. Our room was on the entry floor at the back of the hotel and quiet. We would stay here again if we go back to London.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Cheap, but you get what you pay for - a horrible room. It was tiny, and I couldn't even sit down on the toilet without keeping the door open. Dated decor, small uncomfortable bed, poor amenities. Overall, disgusting.

2  Thank DogWalkerOne
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The rooms were ok, clean and tidy. We booked two rooms, the double on the top floor was ok, new ensuite. Triple on top floor had more space. Air con unit, which didn't put cold air in the room. Which was a shame as it was warm. Beds was ok and we found it clean. But the continental breakfast was very poor. Three small bits of bread supplied with a bit of jam and butter. 3 choices of cereal and no fresh fruit. Small pot of tea supplied, no decaf or fruit teas.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Excellent location for Bloomsbury - stayed for a quick visit as it was handy for Euston. All is basically OK - clean and spacious room, slightly cramped shower room, but that's not a big problem. Matress was a bit thin but the worst aspect was that the breakfast was poor - no other way fo describing it. At this price, you would expect a decent breakfast. I'm not objecting to the lack of a cooked breakfast, but the quality of items in the contiental selection were poor - a part baked bread thing, slightly ropy croissant and some sort of minsiscule Danish. Fruit salad looked as though it had come from a tin and I am convinced that the yellow spread was margarine - it looked so yellow that I did not even want to taste it!

1  Thank AndrewAwashere
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed last night at the Gower House Hotel for a business trip. Its ideally situated about 10 minutes walk from Euston Station and 5 minutes walk from Goodge Street Underground and lots of shops and restaurants. My single room was tiny but had everything I needed including tea and coffee. The bathroom was minuscule but very clean and newly refurbished. The bed was comfy and I had a good nights sleep. Yes the communal areas need some redecoration and the breakfast is basic but thats ok. I left my suitcase for the day while I was at a meeting and on my return I was able to sit in the breakfast room with a cup of tea and my laptop instead of waiting an hour at Euston for my train. No problems here.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room as if possible I did and didn't hear any street noise