“Pretty much OK”

Ranked #642 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Copenhagen
“Pretty much OK”
Reviewed 14 January 2011

We stayed at the Gower House for four nights. Nothing special to say. Decent, safe area, queit, nice breakfast. Just about what you need as an active traveller. The location is perfect for a visit to London.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 November 2010

Quite good for its class, about as good as the Morgan Hotel, which I left after one night because they had given me a noisy room. At the Gower House Hotel I had a very quiet double room for 85 pounds a night, situated one block from Tottenham Court Road and the Goodge Street Tube stop. The included breakfast was good, the management quite professional. Recommended!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2010

We have found the hotel to be ideal for us as it is value for money and everything you need if you are planning a busy sightseeing holiday. The decor is refreshingly retro but, if your out to impress the latest love of your life try the Savoy. The staff have always been helpful and non intrusive and I woiuldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2010

This hotel is in a good location for touring London but it is really really basic.
We booked the family room (# 3) for ourselves and our 2 daughters at a rate of £120/night. The room would be a good size if it only had the double bed in it but after 2 single beds were added you couldn't swing a mouse in it let alone a cat.
1 of the single beds was plonked just in front of the fireplace which took up the centre of one wall of the room.
The other items of furniture shoe-horned in were a rickety pine wardrobe, 2 chairs and a desk/dressing table. The room was far too cramped for us and our luggage.
We found the room to be relatively clean and tidy, given there wasn't a lot of floorspace to mess up, but the ensuite facilities are old and in need of a visit from Kim and Aggy to remove some of the ancient limescale and mould. The shower tray was springy underfoot and was so worn in places that the white enamel had disappeared in parts allowing the black underneath to show through.
If you want basic accommodation in a good location in London then by all means stay here but it really needs some refurbishment. We think the next time we visit London we may try to book elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank hxdirect

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 23 June 2010

This was a great place to base our London trip, close to 3 tube stops, 1/2 block from a useful bus stop, and steps from the British Museum. Not fancy but clean, comfortable, and pleasant hosts. Be aware that Gower St is a busy road so there is street noise into the evenings. We were OK because it was cool at night and could keep the windows closed. Wifi worked sporadically.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Durham
Reviewed 15 April 2010

This is one of the many B&B's on or around Gower Street and I stayed for two nights. Location is great, and since I was visiting UCL it couldn't have been better.

Since there was no en-suite single room available the first night, I had reserved one with shared facilities (room #10 I think). It was furnished in a basic style, and was not huge, but big enough for a single room. It had a bed, a washbasin, a desk (unfortunately without a chair that would fit the desk's height), a kind of arm chair, a wardrobe, a kettle and a TV. Wireless internet was available and was reasonably reliable/fast even though I was on the top floor (in case it hadn't been I was also offered to sit downstairs in the break fast room).

There were several shared bath rooms, I used one in the stair case which was clean.

The second night I got a very large (3-4 person?) en-suite room (room #3 I think), which was similarly furnished, but a little bit more fancy. The bathroom was clean and functional.

Both my rooms were facing the back, and not Gower Street, so everything was quiet. I don't know how this is in the rooms facing the very busy street front.

Breakfast was served in the basement, everything was fine, nothing special to mention there.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Wyoming
Reviewed 8 July 2009

If you are looking for luxury accomodations, can't handle steep stairs, or plan to spend a lot of time in your hotel room having an affair or whatever, this is not the place for you.

But if you are just looking for a clean, quiet, inexpensive place to sleep in a supurb central London location, close to the Tube and buses and non-touristy shops, this place is hard to beat.

From some of the other reviews I thought it might be noisy. I had a street-facing room on the top floor, and from there the traffic sounded very distant (and there wasn't very much of it). What woke me up in the mornings was the sound of birds chirping -- absolutely charming! The walls are thin so if you had noisy neighbors it could be a problem -- but all of my neighbors were quiet and polite (I was the only American there -- the others seemed to be French or Italian, or Brits). The rooms had a hot water heater with tea(hooray!), a telly, and plenty of closet space.

Yes, the building is older, but well-kept and clean, and a very typical older London row house (by the time I visited Dickens' house it seemed very familiar!). The staff was very helpful to me, particularly on the first day when I was still fuzzy from my flight. The rooms are small and basic, but who in their right mind is going to go to London to sit in a motel room?

The shared bathrooms were close to the rooms. I never had to wait for other people to finish and they were kept so clean I never had a perception that I was sharing them with other people. The breakfast was not gourmet fare but ok, with good coffee (the main thing i care about).

My friends were staying at the Generator Hostel. By comparison, I felt I was living in the lap of luxury, and in the end I didn't spend that much more than they did.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo