“All restaurants in the store are excellent”
Review of The Parlour

The Parlour
Reserve with OpenTable
The Parlour is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,992 of 24,429 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$33 - US$47
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Transit: Piccadilly Circus (Bakerloo & Piccadilly lines) and Green Park (Jubilee, Victoria & Piccadilly lines) Bus no. 9, 14, 19, 22, 38
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Eating here is a haven of calm which ever restaurant you choose, I enjoy the breakfasts, outstanding food ,very varied choice and top notch service. The cost is average and less than you would expect. Afternoon teas are very very good ,cost wise comparable with some of the large hotels, just round the corner.

2  Thank qaranc10

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Took my 9 year old Son to the Parlour for a treat before the theatre, and after reading some reviews on here I was a little concerned. When we arrived they didn't have our reservation, but quickly found us a table. We ordered an Americano for me, which came with a delightful mini cone, and a lemonade for my Son. Then we shared a duo of scones, which the staff were more than happy with. My Son ordered the Hansel & Gretel sundae and he was so overwhelmed with it, worth every penny to see his face! I had a glass of beautiful prosecco with my Sundae and I have to say it was the best Ice Cream I have ever had!
The parlour is a luxury treat and not somewhere we old go all the time, but it was simply lovely!

2  Thank Samnmark
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have been in the habit of using the Gallery restaurant for the odd business lunch and with my wife, either the two of us or if meeting friends, for lunch when we are town for the day. The Gallery is an attractive first floor restaurant, but on entering one recent saturday it seemed rather gloomy. It turns out the windows had been made opaque to hide the external scaffolding, repairs etc currently underway. The restaurant seemed dank and dark and the longer we sat there the more tired the place looked. If you eat at F&M you expect the food and drink to be great, and indeed it was. Also don't expect it to be cheap, we paid over £50 for two glasses of wine and two modest main courses. No complaints on this point, the wine was exquisite and the modestly sized meal delicious if hardly sustaining.

We noticed food being served that was not on the menu we were given and on enquiring told it was from the menu from another restaurant, but apparently was not available to us. However our main problem was with the service. Our waiter was surly and impatient and from the look of things was not having a good day. We had plenty of time so did not mind the leisurely approach, but we eventually had to ask for menus for dessert. We then sat there while tables around us were cleared and others attended to, but we were not given the opportunity to order. After 15 minutes of being ignored we paid and left.

So overall the experience has edged down in a number of respects - the surroundings, range of food, value for money and the straw that broke this particular camel's back was the service. So our regular if not desperately frequent visits to F&M will now cease. We have three visits to London planned over the next couple of months so it will be back to the Ivy for us. The food there need not be ridiculously expensive, there is plenty of choice and the only downside is having to book, often well in advance at busy times.

Interestingly on the way out my wife picked up some jam or honey and queued at the confectionery stand in the middle of the floor to pay for it. Having served the person in front of us a grumpy lady said "do you want to pay for that? I have a customer waiting". Well, we were customers and we were waiting, and felt that this final experience encapsulated what turned out to be a poor experience.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I took my family here today for a bank holiday treat and was not disappointed. We arrived at a busy time so had to queue (we had been expecting this) but were pleased to received a mini ice cream cone each from the manager - they were delicious and the kids were quite happy to wait for a few minutes with these. The service was excellent throughout. The staff seemed happy and friendly and the whole ambience was extremely pleasant and well managed. The ice cream sundaes were decadent and did not disappoint - well worth the money in my opinion especially as the children's ice cream was free! Fortnum and Mason certainly have not been so successful for nothing and I was happy to see their reputation being maintained today. Well presented, high quality food and excellent service. Definitely will look forward to returning!

1  Thank Catherine W
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I booked lunch here for my daughter (11) and my mother last week - then very nearly cancelled when I read the reviews on here.
I am so glad I didn't!
We experienced lovely friendly service (sorry I didn't take her name but if the boss is reading she had a headscarf/hijab and was great).
Firstly you have to remember you are in the most prestigious food store in the whole of London (the world?) and dining in the centre of Picadilly. Expect to pay accordingly.
When we sat down we were immediately brought a tray of mini ice cream cones - 1 chocolate and 1 vanilla each - which is a nice touch (see photo).
My daughter ordered a 3 scoop ice cream sundae which was huge! I don't think £12.50 is unreasonable especially as it came with its own jug of chocolate sauce - which was amazing!
My mum and I shared the two scones and when we asked for an extra plate one was brought immediately - no problem at all.
The teapots are huge so you probably could get one between two - but they're beautiful and you're probably not going to go there very often so get one each!
I ordered a slice of retro black forest (pictured) - again very nice.
So it's not going to be the cheapest of places but for a special treat we had a lovely time with great food and very nice service.
Thank you!