“First time”
Review of The Parlour

The Parlour
Reserve with OpenTable
The Parlour is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,921 of 24,254 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$35 - US$50
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Transit: Piccadilly Circus (Bakerloo & Piccadilly lines) and Green Park (Jubilee, Victoria & Piccadilly lines) Bus no. 9, 14, 19, 22, 38
Reviewed 14 June 2014

A chance to have tea at Fortnum & Mason before an AGM in London - well for many this might be the norm - but for me it would be a first. A walk to the restaurant at the top of the building dampened my spirits when the lady told me to really appreciate it I would need 2 hours - I didn't have that amount of time. Quickly she summarised what else was available to me in the other dining areas within the building. I headed back down the stairs to the first floor for a cream tea [coffee actually] with Somerset clotted cream. Great service, great attention to detail, great food. It was only spoilt by the opaque windows because of the scaffolding outside but that's a minor issue.
And the price was only £12 - now that is value. Service charge included

1  Thank Ken J

Reviewed 9 June 2014

As you walk through this gorgeous shop of gorgeous treats and beautiful displays everybody calls you sir or madam and the staff will bend over backwards to help you. HOWEVER... The parlour on a sunny afternoon in london is a definite no go area... 5pm in the afternoon the place was dead... Waited for 7 mins for the staff to finish their own private conversation to then a knowledge my party of 3 were there to then seat us... 10 mins after I had to call them over to take our order.. (The place is still empty) we shortly received our drinks for the waiter to pour my water in my glass whilst still carrying on talking to his fellow staff member about what he did on the weekend.. Overall a very poor impersonal, unprofessional experience something that I was completely shocked to whiteness in such a place!

2  Thank Ael888
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Eating here is a haven of calm which ever restaurant you choose, I enjoy the breakfasts, outstanding food ,very varied choice and top notch service. The cost is average and less than you would expect. Afternoon teas are very very good ,cost wise comparable with some of the large hotels, just round the corner.

2  Thank qaranc10
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Took my 9 year old Son to the Parlour for a treat before the theatre, and after reading some reviews on here I was a little concerned. When we arrived they didn't have our reservation, but quickly found us a table. We ordered an Americano for me, which came with a delightful mini cone, and a lemonade for my Son. Then we shared a duo of scones, which the staff were more than happy with. My Son ordered the Hansel & Gretel sundae and he was so overwhelmed with it, worth every penny to see his face! I had a glass of beautiful prosecco with my Sundae and I have to say it was the best Ice Cream I have ever had!
The parlour is a luxury treat and not somewhere we old go all the time, but it was simply lovely!

2  Thank Samnmark
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have been in the habit of using the Gallery restaurant for the odd business lunch and with my wife, either the two of us or if meeting friends, for lunch when we are town for the day. The Gallery is an attractive first floor restaurant, but on entering one recent saturday it seemed rather gloomy. It turns out the windows had been made opaque to hide the external scaffolding, repairs etc currently underway. The restaurant seemed dank and dark and the longer we sat there the more tired the place looked. If you eat at F&M you expect the food and drink to be great, and indeed it was. Also don't expect it to be cheap, we paid over £50 for two glasses of wine and two modest main courses. No complaints on this point, the wine was exquisite and the modestly sized meal delicious if hardly sustaining.

We noticed food being served that was not on the menu we were given and on enquiring told it was from the menu from another restaurant, but apparently was not available to us. However our main problem was with the service. Our waiter was surly and impatient and from the look of things was not having a good day. We had plenty of time so did not mind the leisurely approach, but we eventually had to ask for menus for dessert. We then sat there while tables around us were cleared and others attended to, but we were not given the opportunity to order. After 15 minutes of being ignored we paid and left.

So overall the experience has edged down in a number of respects - the surroundings, range of food, value for money and the straw that broke this particular camel's back was the service. So our regular if not desperately frequent visits to F&M will now cease. We have three visits to London planned over the next couple of months so it will be back to the Ivy for us. The food there need not be ridiculously expensive, there is plenty of choice and the only downside is having to book, often well in advance at busy times.

Interestingly on the way out my wife picked up some jam or honey and queued at the confectionery stand in the middle of the floor to pay for it. Having served the person in front of us a grumpy lady said "do you want to pay for that? I have a customer waiting". Well, we were customers and we were waiting, and felt that this final experience encapsulated what turned out to be a poor experience.