“Get a new mattress”

The RE London Shoreditch
Ranked #569 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Falsely claiming to be in shoreditch but is clearly in Hackney.

Clean and smart-looking room.
The bed...mattress needs replacing.
Shower curtain smelly and too close to me so I didn't have a relaxing shower, but the water is nice and hot. The steam-free mirror is a nice touch.
Decent biscuits and tea/coffee.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The RE London Shoreditch

Reviewed 7 November 2013

The hotel is not in the centre of london, but is an ideal base for visiting without being in the hussle and bustle of the city. Staff were very helpful and very friendly. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. Bethnal green is the nearest underground but there are plenty of buses just outside

Room Tip: rooms at rear as hackney road can get quite busy
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pamsteve091
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights while visiting family and seeing the sights. We booked this as a "secret rate" hotel so had no idea where we were booking - we were not disappointed. The location is about 10 minutes walk from the tube although there are buses that run by the front door. When you walk in the lobby area is very modern and clean, check in was handled efficiently by friendly, helpful staff and we were in our room in no time. The room itself was light and airy, looking out over the front of the hotel - we didn't however notice any problems with noise from the busy road outside. The wifi worked well in the room too.

The bathroom was a little small but again was clean and suited our needs. We didn't eat in the restaurant but it seemed busy in there whenever we went by.

We both agreed we definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2013

When I booked my room here ( more than a month in advance) for a 3 night stay I specified that my room needed a good wifi connection. The hotel is advertised as having free wifi in all areas, but from experience I know that it's often patchy in hotels so I wanted to ensure I was in a room with good coverage as I needed to work. At best, I was lucky to get glacial speeds for 5 minutes per day in my room. All my colleagues staying at the same time as I did had the same experience, or no wifi coverage at all. The only option was to work in the lobby, which I could not do due to confidentiality issues. The telephone in my room was unable to connect to an outside line and getting it fixed took many hours. I'm not sure who would find this hotel useful, business travellers needing to work during their stay should avoid it because of poor connectivity, and it's not really in an ideal location for holiday-makers (who would probably also want to be connected to the outside world from their room too) I don't understand why it's so difficult for so many hotels to deliver a useable internet access to their guests.

Room Tip: rooms facing the interior courtyard are the quietest
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank carolesg
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Just outside the city but easy to walk to Old St & Liverpool Street. Good bus links but no tube.
Clean efficient & good friendly service. Good standard of room. Only had breakfast in the restaurant which was good.
Have booked to stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank David H
Reviewed 22 October 2013

It's not great, the 4* rating is a lie.

Checking in took ages, the two who checked us in kept wandering off, taking phone calls and singing (they couldn't sing).

There's no real queue system in place at reception either, more of a mad public scramble to get served first.

I was rehearsing just down the road at The Premises, so location wise it was perfect - it's not the safest of areas though so I wouldn't advise tourists to stay here.

My room was ok, but it was on the second floor looking out to Hackney Road, which is insanely loud - with the ambulances racing past, drunks wandering around constant road traffic, I didn't really sleep.. If I stay here again, I'll go to the back of the hotel.

Good selection of TV channels, most of them didn't work, and the free wifi is a good offer but it was insanely slow.

The bathroom was fine - nice and clean.

All the other staff I dealt with were perfectly helpful, even if they seemed a little disinterested..

I didn't eat here, as a vegetarian the room service options were terrible - and I didn't really fancy sticking around for breakfast in the morning..

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank hjpkt
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Booked in here for a couple of nights for a visit down to London. Shoreditch is a 15-20 minute walk away but you can jump on a 48 or 55 bus right outside the hotel. These buses will take you to London Bridge or Oxford Circus respectively or to Shoreditch High Street in about ten minutes. Shoreditch is an up and coming area and has some great bars and clubs. The hotel was clean and hospitable. The bar was reasonably priced and served decent Peroni. The room was quite small but acceptable. I had no problems with noise or disturbances. For what we paid I thought it represented good value for money and was happy with the location even though it is in an area that is more traditional east end London than film set.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family