“Pay extra and stay elsewhere!”

The RE London Shoreditch
Ranked #562 of 1,067 Hotels in London
West Midlands
“Pay extra and stay elsewhere!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I stopped here for 4 nights w/c 9th June. Check in took nearly 30 minutes, rooms were on par with a premier inn and the bathroom was quite dark also - and who uses shower curtains these days?! The bed was comfortable however and ample wardrobe space. The room was clean - no issues there.
The lifts were horrendously slow to turn up and there was a good game of chicken as you launched yourself through the doors before they slammed shut! The waiting staff were very friendly and helpful. Food was decent and a decent breakfast selection, if lacking in quality.
Had issues checking out - someone else(!!) had signed my bill and the reception staff insisted I had signed the bill and put my Morccan (!!) address on the back, after a long time of back and forth they finally rectified the issue and agreed I was not Moroccan and had not signed the bill. They also got the address on my invoice wrong which has caused issues in claiming my expenses back from work - subsequent emails have resulted in the hotel stating they cannot amend the invoice!
The area the hotel is in is NOT shoreditch, it is a good 20 min walk away - the area is pleasant enough if you enjoy lots of dodgy bag shops and a tesco express! It is well served by buses to take you into the city so that's a bonus!
In summation I would say pay the extra and say nearer the city or pay for a premier inn and have the same level of comfort for half the price!

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Layla_CK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Timisoara, Romania
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Nice hotel, nice rooms, but internet connection is crap. Don't use it if you need internet working. They were trying to fix it by resetting the router, which was hanging by cables in a closet.
They are saying that it's free, just to convince you not to complain about it, but they don't have a payed one that works better.
Conclusion: not a hotel that you can use for business or pleasure if you need internet for them!!!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel if you need internet
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mircea82
DarrynTanner, General Manager at The RE London Shoreditch, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Sir, We at the RE are sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the Hotel as we do aim to offer a professional polite efficient service to all guests. If I may reply to your comments below: We have indeed had some failure with regards to our Internet and have been badly let down by our network provider but I am pleased to confirm that a sizeable investment has been made in changing Network Provider, Quicker Speed as well as complete change of Access Point technology relating to the delivery and distribution of the service so all guests will benefit.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The hotel was fine: Good, modern clean rooms... nice lobby... good location. The problem was the wi-fi reception. Terrible. There was none in the room and spotty in the lobby. It would not have been a problem if the advertised as such, or they told you when you checked in, but it took massive trial and error. The front desk was courteous during the day, but less so at night when asked to reboot the wi-fi. A lot of customers were complaining. It was not the staff's fault and they said finally that it will be replaced in the next two weeks... I had made a reservation for two people and they put us in a room with one bed... the staff worked hard in correcting the problem and finally the manager got us an extra cot bed that was comfortable, but it was not an ideal arrangement.

Room Tip: Wait until they fix their internet service before booking... unless you do not need it...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The room was OK, but I had two problems: First, the wireless internet on the fourth floor didn't really work and the staff seemed disinterested in the problem. They basically told me to come down to the lobby and use the bar's internet if I had an issue. Second, there was a very loud fire alarm on Monday morning with no real warning. I guess I would say uneven quality of staff is their biggest problem.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Madam, We at the RE are sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the Hotel as we do aim to offer a professional polite efficient service to all guests. If I may reply to your comments below: We have indeed had some failure with regards to our Internet and have been badly let down by our network provider but I am pleased to confirm that a sizeable investment has been made in changing Network Provider, Quicker Speed as well as complete change of Access Point technology relating to the delivery and distribution of the service so all guests will benefit. WIth regards to your comments about the Fire Alarm, because of the importance of all our guests safety we test our Fire Alarm Systems every Monday at around 12.30pm which is advertised in the Front Reception as we feel this time of week is our quietest and will affect the least amount of guests for the couple of minutes the tests are run.
Portstewart N.Ireland
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I booked this hotel for a couple who were attending a festival nearby, using my credit card. At 11 PM on the day on which they were to check in I received an email to say that my credit card had been declined and the room would no longer be available.
I was alarmed as the young couple would therefore have nowhere to stay, late at night, and no alternative accommodation, plus there was the worry that my credit card had possibly been used fraudulently.
I rang the credit card company and they knew immediately that the hotel had entered an incorrect expiry date. They explained that the receptionist needed to put it through again with the correct details. I explained this to the gentleman at the hotel.
Throughout my exchanges with him during the complete incident he was rude, abrupt, dismissive and very unhelpful. There were no apologies for the inconvenience and distress which he had caused and he even, in the original exchange, advised me that the room would still be charged for the two nights even though the card was declined. He's a genius, albeit a very rude one. I wish someone in my business could extricate funds from a declined card.
I have never written a negative review, but for this hotel I have made an exception.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kiltie59
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is not a bad hotel, and for people visiting London, the connections are quite good with the Bus Stop outside (40 minutes to Oxford Street) and the tube station about 15 minutes walk away. Checking in was not great with a big queue that took 30 minutes to get through while the car was parked on a yellow line outside. Even with the check in complete, it took another 10 minutes to get somebody to let us in to the very secure garage in the basement of the hotel (Car size is limited because you have to drive into a lift to access the Car Park).

When we were checked in, our room on the first floor was near the lift and we could hear everyone that passed the door, although the walls must have been quite well soundproofed because we never heard any noise from either side. The rooms were quite basic but with everything you need for a short stay, although why we must still endure plastic shower curtains, I just cannot understand.

Breakfast was a good standard and had a good selection of fruit, cold meats, and hot options although my wife had to wait over 15 minutes for fresh bacon to arrive after it had previously run out. Nice Fresh Bread was available although the Tea and Coffee selection was also poorly serviced with cold flasks that were not replaced enough. Also, with tea you need Boiling water and the use of the flask with barely hot water ruined the taste!

The lounge and restaurant areas were modern and comfortable and for London, this was an affordable Hotel with a secure car park.

Location: 3
Presentation: 4
Bed comfort: 4
Bathroom facilities: 3
Cleanliness: 4
Soundproofing: 3
Food: 4

The complete deal - wait a moment
Is 30 minutes to check in - A Fair time to wait
Wait a moment at £13.50
The breakfast moment was a disappointment

It's fair to say it was a well clean room
Complete control with that air con. on
It's fair to say the shower certain did - cling to my bum
Complete control with that soft close - toilet seat
It's fair to say the fridge & Complimentary water - went down a treat

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy G
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We've stayed at this hotel several times and during that period it has improved in a number of respects. It is not really in Shoreditch - more Hackney. That said, getting into theatre land and the city is easy either by direct and regular bus or if fit then on a BorisBike. Given traffic and roadworks approx 50 minutes. Very helpful staff generally. I have mobility limitations though not wheelchair and the facilities are excellent. The rooms are fairly simple but clean and comfortable. The TV can be slightly erratic in reception.
The foyer/bar is adequate though still rather a thoroughfare. We've not eaten there as frankly it seems quite expensive for what is offered. Breakfast across the road at a cafe if cheaper and perfectly sound and further up there is the Hackney Farm that does lovely and healthy breakfasts.
Not sure why a safety deposit of £50 is required on register when one has already paid in advance but maybe there are still some travellers who think it ok to nick stuff from rooms?
We've always been lucky to have quiet rooms and comfortable beds. Adequate if not luxurious.
Not sure how children would like it in some rooms but we are an elderly couple so require less space.

Room Tip: Check you get what you asked for in terms of size of bed(s) and shower and bath facilities as there...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple