“Contemporary modern.”

The RE London Shoreditch
Ranked #574 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The location of this hotel is ideal for Shoreham, Hackney, and many other interesting areas, including The Geffrye Museum, museum of Childhood, and the Flower Market. There are several coffee shops along the bus route, and a convenience store near the hotel.
The hotel is in the modern style, which seems to cater for taller persons, rather than petite.
I was given a room upgrade in a quiet area overlooking a courtyard with palms in pots.
The room was well equipped with king size Hypnos double bed, a leather settee, a fridge and all modern conveniences. An excellent bathroom was en suite. Tea, coffee and biscuits were in the room. Should one need to sit for makeup and hairdressing, then take a mirror for the desk. There is a tall mirror in the room I had, but blocked by a heavy coffee table, so could not sit in front of this, which has the hair drier nearby high on the wall. The bed lights were also high on the wall, and not suitable for reading with. The room and bed would be excellent for a tall business person or younger couple. I had a comfortable, quiet night, despite football and wedding celebrations below, and a lovely hot shower in the morning. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly, and I would recommend this hotel for location and a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Second floor courtyard room is quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bi0nicAnn

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Nice hotel in hackney, very close to brick lane and old street area. Rooms are furnished in very classic way, there is all the basic comfort needed for a good night sleep. Clear and neat. Breakfast is unforgivably the worst I have had ever. Espresso or cappuccino a are changed separately.... Recommended if you intend to spend time just to sleep and can have breakfast somewhere else.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Oana U
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Booked the RE hotel as was going out with a friend in Hoxton and Shoreditch, and found it to be very pleasant and satisfactory. It is about a mile from Hoxton Square so we got a taxi, no problem there as one pulled up outside the hotel a minute after we stepped out. The room was nice and clean, a good size and all amenities were in good order. The bar stayed open very late, and all staff are very friendly and courteous. I stayed on the 4th floor which has a view over the main road but there's no noise and the black out curtains are excellent (I didn't realise it was 10.30am when I woke up!) All in all a good hotel in a good location

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sean B
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Sometimes have an internet connection is 95% of the trip. This is one of those times. I'd read all of the reviews that said there was awful, or no, internet. How long can that go on? It turns out that it can go on forever. If you want to step back to 1986, this is the place for you. Nice place. No internet.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Skellingtonfan
DarrynTanner, General Manager at The RE London Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Sir, We at the RE are sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the Hotel as we do aim to offer a professional polite efficient service to all guests. If I may reply to your comments below: We have indeed had some failure with regards to our Internet and have been badly let down by our network provider but I am pleased to confirm that a sizeable investment has been made in changing Network Provider, Quicker Speed as well as complete change of Access Point technology relating to the delivery and distribution of the service so all guests will benefit.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I had to spend 2 nights in London due to a business trip. I booked the hotel because it was well located for my matters. The early check-in went well and the receptionist Martine was extremely helpful and friendly. The girls at the bar and in the breakfast restaurant however were unfriendly as well as the person delivering the room service I ordered in my second night.
Till the moment of the check-out I was everything went smoothly despite the moody characters of some staff members. The gym was great, the room up to the standard of a 4-star property.
However when I wanted to check out in the morning I got charged 4 £ for the breakfast I took in the morning, not the first morning although i had exactly the same food. I found out that the continental breakfast I booked in my reservation did not include any hot food on the buffet. I had never received an explanation on what exactly I was allowed to eat off the open buffet and there were no descriptions to help be doing the right thing. When the receptionist tried to get some more information of the moody waitresses, of course they did not see their mistake. Unfortunately I had be on time for a meeting in the morning and could not take the opportunity to talk to the manager.
Being a hotel professional I know that guests need to be informed about charges beforehand. II felt trapped and I left the RE dissatisfied.

First lection in hotel school: Never let a guest leave your property unsatisfied, he will not return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank FranziskaFelsmann
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I stopped here for 4 nights w/c 9th June. Check in took nearly 30 minutes, rooms were on par with a premier inn and the bathroom was quite dark also - and who uses shower curtains these days?! The bed was comfortable however and ample wardrobe space. The room was clean - no issues there.
The lifts were horrendously slow to turn up and there was a good game of chicken as you launched yourself through the doors before they slammed shut! The waiting staff were very friendly and helpful. Food was decent and a decent breakfast selection, if lacking in quality.
Had issues checking out - someone else(!!) had signed my bill and the reception staff insisted I had signed the bill and put my Morccan (!!) address on the back, after a long time of back and forth they finally rectified the issue and agreed I was not Moroccan and had not signed the bill. They also got the address on my invoice wrong which has caused issues in claiming my expenses back from work - subsequent emails have resulted in the hotel stating they cannot amend the invoice!
The area the hotel is in is NOT shoreditch, it is a good 20 min walk away - the area is pleasant enough if you enjoy lots of dodgy bag shops and a tesco express! It is well served by buses to take you into the city so that's a bonus!
In summation I would say pay the extra and say nearer the city or pay for a premier inn and have the same level of comfort for half the price!

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Layla_CK
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Nice hotel, nice rooms, but internet connection is crap. Don't use it if you need internet working. They were trying to fix it by resetting the router, which was hanging by cables in a closet.
They are saying that it's free, just to convince you not to complain about it, but they don't have a payed one that works better.
Conclusion: not a hotel that you can use for business or pleasure if you need internet for them!!!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel if you need internet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business