“Atmosphere fine, beer OK, food very poor”
Review of Bayswater Arms

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Notting Hill
Reviewed 13 December 2013

My opinion, based on a recent visit is very similar to opinions expressed on the pub's own website, so they are not bothered about what people think, that's for sure. So why am I bothering with writing this review? Largely because the other reviews seem to be from tourists and they ought to be warned about the food. I ordered a steak pie which came quite quickly, always a bad sign. The plate was chilled and so, consequently, were the vegetables. In contrast the pie (quite a small one as it happens) was searingly hot having no doubt been blasted by a microwave, judging by the concrete hard pastry enclosing the meat. I complained about the cold plate and seriously undercooked (I know what al dente means and these were not even that) vegetables, and was given a new bowl of vegetables some time later after I had finished my food. Now, they can be forgiven for this happening on the odd occasion but other customer reviews on their own website mentioned this around 2 years ago. Either they consider that raw vegetables are good for you or they don't care what customers say and will carry on regardless.
The bar staff were pleasant enough but a bit clueless judging by their inability to provide simple drinks ordered by other customers. I was in the Bayswater area for a couple of days and having tried another pub that I won't go back to, I gave this one a try - another dud. These places are not offering what good pubs ought to be offering. The menus are OK, up to a point, but my food was very poor. I am very disappointed in the quality. The vegetables were of acceptable quality, just cook the damn things for more than for a few seconds and serve on a hot plate. The pie would probably have been OK had it not been heated to within an inch (cm) of its life in a microwave. Its not rocket science and not much to ask, and the management would do well to take legitimate complaints seriously and try to improve what is being offered rather than look at their takings and say that's fine thank you very much. We don't have to bother.

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Bayswater Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Lakselus, thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. Your comments were a concern to hear and I would like to investigate your visit further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, Taylor Walker

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Was looking for some decent pub food and found it.

The usual choices on offer - burgers, fish, pies, etc. I had the chicken burger which was better than many I've had.

Service was quick and the staff were pleasant. Prices were ok for the food, drinks a little pricey, even fir London. Good choice and quality of real ales.

Would consider again if in the area.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Good enough pub, good beer, friendly service, mostly tourists (like me). Dinner first night I was in town, so I was a little jet lagged, it was close to my hotel, the Hilton Hyde Park, and clean and fast service. Same menu as most other pubs in town. Right next to Bayswater tube station.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Went here with a friend for a mid-week dinner. I had steak and ale pie with mash and veg - it was gorgeous!!! I think he had a burger, he definitely enjoyed it though. The staff were really friendly and the food was good value. Drinks were slightly pricey, however it is in Bayswater.. Standard pub grub, very well done.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We had a English Breakfast which was delicious, great coffee. The service was warm and friendly. Lots of touristic information and a nice chat.