“It used to be more special”
Review of Goldfish

Goldfish
Reserve with OpenTable
Goldfish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11,721 of 22,659 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“It used to be more special”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This restaurant, when it was on the other side of the road, had a special feel. Now they moved it to a cramped, badly painted, narrow place opposite and has lost its nice atmosphere. When we went, back in September, they were having problems with their drinks license, which meant that they had to go to the shop next door to fetch us wine - we had to pay cash for it. The food was still good, but somehow the experience wasn't. Since it has been such a favourite of ours, we hope that they find their way again!

• Visited September 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful restaurant”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Having been a customer of Goldfish for many years despite their shift in locations and protocols, I must say that I am quite surprised at some of the comments that have made about the restaurant, in particular the negative ones which I feel are often rather unjustified. One particular review that shocked me was one that not only spoke ill of the manager, Elaine, but also made the ludicrous assumption that one of the waitresses was unhappy with the job! Now, perhaps I am just an optimistic old fart, but over the years, I have gotten to know quite a few of the members of staff rather well and have seen the new and old come and go; NEVER have I ever experienced any intentional rudeness from any of them. They are always polite and try their best to put the customers above all else. The most unpleasant experience is always and only ever from seeing the discomfort that could come upon a member of staff's face when dealing with an unreasonable customer who tries to leech off whatever they can by nitpicking and being demanding, to which they would always deal with the highest level of professionalism - or for those without the experience, consult with the experienced. The food is delicious and creative (a personal favourite being the crispy prawns); staff are courteous, caring and altogether very pleasant; and I absolutely do think they are managed very well and that feeds back to most of us customers. Whilst changes have been noted since they have moved, I am still very happy with the restaurant as a whole and hope to be a regular customer for many more years to come. I do recommend Goldfish to anyone and I certainly have done so on many occasions to many people.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Michael T
“Kitty”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I would highly recommend goldfish, tentative customer service with excellent food .sea bass for main and banana fitters for desert rounded off a brilliant evening , will definitely be going again.

• Visited December 2013
Paris, France
“Delicious prawns”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This is our first evening visit to Goldfish since it moved across the road. Tonight we were really impressed by the fast, efficient and friendly service as well as the main dishes. I had the delicious prawns with passion fruit and mango, whereas my wife took the duck with aubergines and we were both really over the moon.
PS Just one tip : avoid the table near the serving hatch halfway down the restaurant; tonight we sat with a view of the remarkable kitchen staff, who provided our dishes in no time at all, even though the restaurant was full at 8pm on this Saturday evening.

• Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“So shocked and disappointed”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I have just returned from Goldfish having had the most extraordinary experience I think I have ever had in a restaurant and felt compelled to write. Firstly, I love the food at Goldfish, have been going there for years. I especially love the Dim Sum at lunchtime which I've recently re-discovered as I thought the restaurant had closed but it has reopened across the road. In the last three weeks I have dined there six times, three times accompanied by my wife. I am a greedy pig and always over order because if there is too much the lovely waitress puts it in a takeaway box and I can eat it later! This lunchtime, my wife and I went there for Dim Sum. I ordered various baskets of Dim Sum. Unfortunately, two baskets didn't appear. When I told the waitress (who turned to be the manager Elaine) she rather aggressively informed me that we had already had the baskets - we hadn't. I explained this was the case but she wasn't having it. Fortunately, the waitress who took our order checked the handwritten order sheets and realised they had been mixed up and it was the table behind who had been given the spinach and prawn and the spinach and chive dim sum. Sadly, Elaine didn't feel the need to apologise. I suggested that in future I think she should believe her customers - especially regular customers like myself - but she just sneared at me. Sadly, half an hour later we had only been given our prawn and chive. I asked if the spinach was coming and she said "didn't the waitress tell you Dim Sum takes a long time." I explained that I was aware of that which is why we had a soup to start but the rest of the dim sum was delivered 45 minutes earlier. The waitress who took my order (and who I see most lunchtimes when I visit apologised and said it was her fault. I then asked Elaine if she thought it was acceptable to treat customers this way and then she just said 'sorry' in the most sarcastic way one could imagine. At the end of the meal I asked Elaine for the owners name but was told he wasn't there. I explained I didn't need to see him I just wanted his name so I could write to him to express my disappointment. Eventually, I was given the name Michael scribbled on the Goldfish business card. I will attempt to phone him - it will be interesting to see if he calls me back. Sadly, you cannot email only fax? Very strange do they fear feedback - always a bad sign. As my wife said when we left what a shame - you love that restaurant. It is a shame but however much I like it I don't want other people to have to put up with that nonsense. I must have spent well over £200 at lunchtimes over the last month so it really disappoints me that 'managers' like Elaine are able to get away with it. I fear she will probably take it out on the lovely waitress (who I always tip in addition to the service included charge) as she seems very unhappy with her job. If you had asked me prior to my lunch what start rating I would have given I would have said six (even though I realised there are only five circles. But for service zero. Elaine clearly couldn't care less what my wife and I thought but she's silly. It was very busy this Friday lunchtime but early in the week virtually empty so I would suggest you care about your regulars - oneday you may need them. Interesting that you moved in to a smaller venue that used to be a diner and let a new restaurant take over your two floored premises. Maybe customer service let you down. I would like to say I will never go there again - but then Elaine wins. She doesn't care. But as my wife suggested she isn't usually there. We are local and it is never full at lunchtime so you don't have to book. I am going to phone up and ask if Elaine is on duty - if not we will go in! Hopefully, Michael might pay attention to this review and ask his waitress what happened who knows? What a shame brilliant food terrible manager.

• Visited October 2013