“Standards not as good as I remember”
Review of Viet-Anh Cafe

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Neighbourhood: Camden
Neighbourhood: Camden
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I used to enjoy eating here when I lived in Camden so returned for a visit last week (it's been about 8 months since I last went) and I have to say i was quite disappointed. I had a tofu and chinese broccoli soup which was nice but not as many fresh and crunchy vegetables as I remember and the broth itself was a bit bland. This was a complaint shared by my husband who had a beef pho. Both dishes needed a lot of chilli sauce to add some flavour. The crispy seaweed tasted a bit soft - though I should have said something at the time, and to be honest I still ate a lot of it!
I couldn't belive they still hadn't got round to fixing the door. If you sit near the door you invariably spend half your meal having to ask people to shut the door behind them when they come in as it doesn't close properly on its own.
Saying all that though the service was friendly and efficient and it's still a good place for a quick, not too expensive, bite to eat. However next time I'm in Camden I'll be exploring other options.

1  Thank kat577

Reviewed 19 October 2012

This is one of my favourite little restaurants. The service may not be the best but the food is cheap and always delicious. Recommended

Reviewed 26 September 2012

This was my first experience with Vietnamese food; I went with a Vitenamese and Chinese friend who well-versed with the cuisine and the culture so I was in good hands. The food was quickly prepared and looked appetising; everything after that was downhill. The cutlery and table were dirty. For a soup and Kung Po tofu I paid nearly £12.00 - which was far too expensive for a cramped and less than hygienic cafe. I emphasise the hygiene as while I was eating the meal my stomach started to gurgle as if it was reacting to something. Within half-an-hour I was on the toilet with extreme diarrhoea and for the next three days I was a very frequent visitor to the loo. I have heard many good things from friends and work colleagues about this cafe so I am conflicted. I will not be returning but I would suggest you perhaps consider it, just be careful.

1  Thank Mark O
Reviewed 12 July 2012

AVOID- Awful. It's not often I have experienced a meal so greasy it's inedible. I'm a massive fan of Vietnamese food, but this was a huge disappointment. No query from the staff on why we ate only a few mouthfuls of our meal. I can only assume this restaurant survives from passing tourist non-repeat trade. Really expensive too

2  Thank Bingothailand
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We ate last night, 4 of us looking for a quick bite. It was full, good sign, so we waited to be seated. As we were waiting we asked the waiter if this was a bring your own booze, he said yes - so we popped to the shop opposite. Bought wine & beer only to then be told we can't drink it in the restaurant despite him saying otherwise literally 3 mins earlier.

The woman in charge was even worse, refused to acknowledge there was an issue and said I had lied. Utterly ridiculous and ride to the point of me looking for Jeremy beadle to jump out ( doubtful I know )

Eventually they said we could only drink the wine, so at least our entire purchase didn't get binned before we joined friends later.

Food was ok, kings land road runs rings round them though.