“Good food, quick service, great value”
Review of Viet-Anh Cafe

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Neighbourhood: Camden
Neighbourhood: Camden
Reviewed 1 June 2013

A simple cafe-type restaurant, but these often offer excellent value & this is no exception. We turned up on spec & it was reasonably busy (so buzzy atmosphere), but managed to get a table. An extensive menu, which is a little daunting, but we chose Prawn Crackers... Seaweed... Deep Fried Chilli Beef... Vietnamese Beef with Lemon Grass & rice... & asked them to make a King Prawn & Cashew Nuts (which they made no problem), with rice. With a Tiger beer & a reasonable glass of white wine - £38.94 - fantastic value!

Service was polite, if laid back, but reasonable nonetheless. Food arrived very quickly - slightly thrown by the main courses arriving 2-3 minutes after the starters... but as we were sharing everything, this was not a real problem. Portion sizes were huge - from the crackers to the main meals - possibly the biggest I recall in any Asian restaurant. Also a nice touch to have sweet/hot Chilli sauce plus plum sauce plus soy sauce on the table throughout.

The food was also excellent - the Chilli Beef as good as I have had (in London)... & I really liked the Vietnamese Beef & Lemon Grass. My wife also loved her Prawns & Cashew Nuts. All in all, a great find, if you want a quick, well priced, tasty meal in Camden...

Reviewed 7 March 2013

There are plenty of better places to eat in Camden. My friends chose this place (I'm not sure why!) as they got to the area before me.

It's more a "canteen" than a restaurant. It's brightly lit, the tables are fairly cramped together and there's no ambiance or decor to speak of. I suppose the prices reflect this, as they definitely aren't high and the menu appears to be extensive. The food was average. Portions were large, but it's sort of irrelevant as it wasn't nice enough to finish!

And the service... well... there was one large guy who's service style I would call "Night Club Bouncer". Didn't say anything, didn't crack a smile and seemed totally and utterly miserable. Ditto the girl working there, who was on the phone most of the time and ignored us until it was time for her to bring over the machine for us to pay.

There were a few Asian couples in the place on arrival, so maybe this is the "original Vietnamese" experience, but if so it's not to be repeated by this punter!

Try almost anywhere else in Camden and it'll be better than this. We passed a Masala Zone on the way to the pub and I was disappointed we didn't go there!

Reviewed 4 February 2013

I'm surprised at the reviewer who found the staff unhelpful, over many visits over last 15 years haven't found that to be the case. But then they do in fact have a drinks licence so maybe the review is for somewhere else.
It's a simple place- formica tables- but there are some interesting things on the menu (the eel starter is excellent) and the big bowls of noodles are great value). Good takeaway too. It's not a place for a night out but it wouldn't pretend to be, but definitely good in the area and delivers what iit promises.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

As someone who visits London on a semi-regular basis I am more than prepared for the hike in prices, particularly when eating out. I visited Viet-Anh Cafe with a friend who is a regular and was amazed by how great this place is, particularly in terms of value for money! Main courses are huge and average around £8 - bargain! Having lived in China for a year I know a thing or two about dumplings and both the fried and steamed dumplings on offer were delicious. We also tried the chicken satay, vegetable fried soft noodles and chicken and Chinese broccoli with egg fried rice, all was delicious, served quickly and piping hot. The staff were friendly and attentive and the restaurant was really lovely and cosy on a chilly evening. Really surprised by some of the negative reviews on here, I think this places is great!

Reviewed 28 December 2012

I feel compelled to write this after reading the negative reviews for this place. I honestly don't recognise the cafe/restaurant I've been going to for about a decade now practically every time I'm in London. the environment is not plush but it's great for a quick, good value, good quality meal. They also let me nurse a green tea for an hour and a half when I was unwell and had to hang around before being able to catch a train. I've also always found the food to be healthy and light and the service to be prompt and efficient. It's maybe not the place to go to if you want to sit and chat in a quiet corner for a couple of hours but for good value, good quality food I can't speak highly enough of it.

1  Thank Brinjal