“Better than a day at the spa!”

Good Housekeeping Institute Cookery School
Ranked #73 of 217 Classes & Workshops in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Based in our state-of-the-art kitchens at the Heart of the Good Housekeeping Institute in Central London and drawing on nearly a century of expertise, we would like to welcome you to the Good Housekeeping Institute Cookery School. We are passionate about cooking, which is why all the courses feature the exclusive Good Housekeeping triple-tested recipes taught by our exceptional team of Tutors.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children
Reviewed 10 April 2017

I'm a reasonably experienced baker but wanted to learn new skills and refresh old ones. I went to the Easter baking 1 day course and made simnel cake, hot cross buns and Easter biscuits. I learned about icing techniques (never a strength of mine) and left feeling quite accomplished.
We were warmly welcomed, made to feel even more welcome as the day progressed and I can't wait to book another day. I felt so encouraged by the amazing team and it was a totally therapeutic experience. Better than a day at the spa!
The whole organisation was so efficient, too. I left a message asking if I needed to bring cake boxes and had a text straight back saying 'no', everything would be provided to carry home our goodies.

Date of experience: March 2017

Reviewed 28 March 2017

I used to make bread a lot - and I mean a lot - three or four loaves a week - we never bought bread. But a couple of years ago I really lost my mojo and my husband booked me on this course as a gift and it was wonderful!

For a start, it is incredibly welcoming and relaxed - there were five or six of us at different levels of experience and wanting different things and we were all listened to and catered for. Explanations and demonstrations were clear without being 'lecture room boring'. We were helped through every stage. I learned a lot (even though I have a lot of experience) and we all went home with a mountain of different kinds of breads which delighted my family and, all of which (except the soda bread!) I have made multiple times since.

It was a very lovely experience and I thank everyone involved. xx

Date of experience: February 2017
1  Thank Kay H
Reviewed 25 January 2017

An excellent afternoon being taught cooking knife skills by head tutor Cher in the Good Housekeeping 'state of the art kitchen' based just off Oxford Street. No previous knowledge was taken for granted and expert advice individually given as appropriate. All staff were friendly and approachable and the food we prepared (which we took home), helped us hone our new skills and included jointing a chicken as well as preparing vegetables and fruit. Thoroughly recommend this course which would also make a good present for the budding 'cooks' in your life.

Date of experience: January 2017
1  Thank nickibennett
Reviewed 14 September 2016

My friend and I attended GHI Cookery School on September 10th. The class was focused on a Thai food menu. Alexandra met us at the door and was an incredible hostess, she introduced us to our chef, Cher. Cher was so entertaining and knowledgeable about the menu and preparation. We learned so much and had such a wonderful time...we brought our leftovers home and enjoyed them again with our husbands. I would definitely recommend this experience. It was a top notch program with the most talented chef and it gave me the confidence to prepare a menu at home that I would never had tried on my own! Thank you!

Date of experience: September 2016
See more reviews
Reviewed 24 May 2016

I attended the Vegetarian Pantry afternoon course on Monday,23rd May, hoping to get a few ideas of how to make my vegetarian diet more exciting for family and friends. I came away after 3 hours not only with fantastic ideas but also new techniques for preparing vegetables and the use of herbs and spices. The 2 chefs were so encouraging and answered all of my many questions, the time flew by and at the end I had 3 different dishes to take home. The verdict from my husband after eating all I had prepared was to suggest that if I wanted to attend another course he would gladly pay for it! I will certainly sign up for other courses, in the meantime I will enjoy the new confidence I have for preparing vegetarian dishes for my friends. I would definitely recommend to all who have an interest in cooking. Penny Lavender

Date of experience: May 2016