“Overrated for sure”

Hoppers Soho
Ranked #1,579 of 24,524 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$4 - US$23
Neighbourhood: Soho
Description: Awarded a Bib Gourmand in 2016, Hoppers is inspired by the food of Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka, with the hopper and dosa at the heart of the menu. The cocktail list at Hoppers focuses on Genever and Arrack, and a selection of Sri Lankan soft drinks is also available. The interior of Hoppers features warm terracotta tiles, a woven rattan ceiling and ochre brick wall finishes. Raksha masks, Sri Lankan poster art and Tamil comic imagery adorn the walls along with pineapple and money plants.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Spent 54 pounds on food plus one drink and not even feel full. This is bad value by soho standard.
Yes this place got a queue outside which makes people wonder if this is a super star spot in soho. Sadly it is not.
To our opinion, you better spend this money is a proper Indian curry house which provide larger portion and more polished taste.

Chicken Kari - 4 prices of meat off the bone but not fillet. Flavour ok not not blow away.
Lamb kari - less than our usual Indian curry standard I have to say as it taste a bit bloody.
Banana chips - NOT crispy at all. An disappointing item.
Hopper is just a bowl shape rice wrap... for 4 pounds each.
All come as small portions hence we still hungry after two mains plus sides.

Won’t go back and also won’t surprised this place got taken over on highly competitive soho by other new comers.

We finally went to a new opener next corner for some after meals...

1  Thank prawnpipi

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I visited Hoppers Soho today.
It's a small but surprisingly popular place and rightly so.
I did not have to make a reservation- I got a table in about 5 minutes.
I did ask for a lot of variation in my order and all of it was all taken into account.

I ordered Masala Dosa with Podi, Cocunut Chutney, Coriander Chutney and Sambar.
I loved this combination although I could have skipped Coriander Chutney (which wasn't required at all as part of this combination). The taste was very authentic.
I also ordered a coffee which I didn't fancy as much as the food. Others might like though.

Service was really good. Kevin, who looked after our table, offered a complimentary Sri Lankan dessert (made of coconut, jaggery among other things). The taste was heavenly!! Light, creamy and smooth!!
I could go back just for the dessert :)

Thanks to Kevin again!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Came here with a mate on a Weekend. Got there at 1pm and given the option of sitting at the bar or a shared table. Went for the shared table though we were the only ones seated there until a party of 3 came a few minutes later and sat down at one end. There is a sole two seater table in the place. Had we arrived any later we would probably have had to wait a while.

Ordered a mixture of dishes. The veg cutlet and Lamb Kothu small plate (part of the express lunch menu) we’re out of this world.

Calamari and the Karis were ok. Tried a Hopper (egg variety) for the first and probably last time. On asking how best to eat it I was advised to break it and dip it in the small curry bowl which had chicken pieces layered on top of each other. Looked great but I didn’t enjoy it a great deal. Ordered a side of rice which was fragrant and delicious.

Will come back again for the veg cutlet. Lamb Kothu (they do a bigger portions as a main dish) and maybe one of he Karis with rice and give the Hopper a miss.

Sensational coffee at the end to finish off. Wish it came in a bigger glass.

Reviewed 10 May 2018

i visited here last summer with two friends. My friend arrived first so he put his name down on the list. I arrived about 20 minutes later and after waiting another 20 minutes, we asked the host how much longer was the wait. He asked for our name and said we were not on the list. Despite my friend insisting that he took down his telephone number and told him he was on the list, the host was adamant that we were not on the list and that my friend didn't put his name down. After a furious minute or two, another waiting customer stepped in and said she saw my friend put his name down (thank you), so the host had no choice but to add us to the top of the list. (SO be warned everyone... when they put your name down, you should receive a text message and regular updates of the wait time- if you do not receive the text, speak to them)
So after a total wait of an hour we were finally seated. The restaurant is really small but full of atmosphere.
We ordered a few dishes to share and every single dish was outstanding, the flavours were out of this world! I would definitely come back to this restaurant again. But maybe visit the other branch as its less busy.
Lamb Kari , Mutton rolls, chicken wings and Dosa was really good!

Reviewed 8 May 2018

It may sound as an over exaggeration, but the food here is fantastic. We decided to hit this place after hearing a lot about it. They don't take reservations, so we landed there at 6pm sharp, but there was queue outside. We were told that waiting time was around 1hour to 1.5 hours. But we decided to wait. They took our name and suggested that we could sit in a bar and once our table is ready they would sms us. After 45 mins, we got a message that our table is ready and we promptly went to the restaurant.

We decided to order everything together, so we ordered beef chilli, pork kari, lamb kothu roti, egg hopper, dosa, crab curry, chicken curry and brinjal moju. Portion sizes are small so it better to share the dishes. All the dishes that we ordered were flavourful and had unique taste. We re-ordered beef chilli dry and lamb kothu roti since they were the most delicious amongst all that we ordered. In drinks we ordered the masala buttermilk which too was lovely.

This restaurant is definitely a must visit esp for food lovers.