“Colourful past and future to come”
Review of Heaton, Butler and Bayne - CLOSED

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Cross street: Entrance Floral Street
Transit: 2 minutes from Leicester Square or Covent Garden underground.
Reviewed 6 May 2013

At the Garrick street end of Floral Street in Covent Garden, this new and exciting restaurant is offering seriously good value for money food. The welcome is genuine and the daily changing menu offers a good selection across the board. Very sleek and stark interiors but the warm atmosphere and great service makes it very attractive. Our host (Haley) was just magnificent and the food kept to the same level. Wine from £19.50 (YES £19,50 - and this is covent Garden!!!) and really quite good.

Without boring you with what we had, let it suffice to say the food was good, really good. A decent vegetarian selection too!

Reviewed 3 May 2013

I was a bit nervous about trying this place (formerly The Forge) as some of the reviews seemed rather patchy. The décor is quite stark, but it works! However, it was excellent - some great cocktails and interesting bar snacks before dinner - we had the salt cod fish cakes which were delicious and honey glazed chorizo. Couldn't taste the honey, but the sausage was good. The dinner menu is short but interesting and varied. The cod carpaccio was very fresh and the piccalilli accompaniment wasn't too strong. The simple asparagus with hollandaise and poached egg was very well executed. The rib eye steaks were tender, full of flavour and cooked perfectly to both our orders. The smoked tomato butter they came with was good as well. Good choice of puddings, although my choice of set cream with rhubarb and caramelised breadcrumbs was slightly disappointing as the rhubarb was overly sweet and mushy and the cream was just a bit too set, probably too much gelatine. Service is informal but very efficient and charming. The wine list is varied, well chosen and very reasonably priced. Overall, very good and I would definitely go back.

1  Thank JeffCypress
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Came here when it was The Forge and both the food and service were excellent. Brought a group here for a Pre-theatre meal and sicovered that the restaurant had been renamed Heaton, Butler & Bayne, though remained with the same owners. I had the Lamb entree which was tough, with beans like bullets and all very salty, it was also only Luke-warm. The amount food served was very small, and the prices were very, very high my other guests found the fish overlooked and very salty also. We were sat right at the back of the restaurant, no daylight, with the only other 2 tables, the remainder of the room was empty, and remained that way for the duration of our meal, Why the few tables they had were not seated near the windows and daylight I can not understand. Our server was pleasant and knowledgable. The food took so long to arrive there was not time to send it back - and make our theatre start-time.

1  Thank frequenttravellar
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Went to Heaton Butler and Bayne (as it's now called) 2 days after it opened. Our table was booked for 9pm which I consider to be fairly late to eat anyhow, but we weren't seated until 10.30pm.... By that time I was starving and although we were accommodated by the bar, the mood was a little deflated.
Food arrived and was great. I has the lamb, but as I cant eat beans, I asked for broccoli instead and my meal was automatically adapted and tailored for me.
We had a 50% off voucher which was just as well as the evening came to £60 per head half price which is a lot!! Although quite a few cocktails were sunk during the wait earlier on.
Overall a nice evening, but wouldn't rush back.

1  Thank Francesca D
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Restyled & with a new menu, we had a delicious meal.

The restaurant is now called Heaton, Butler & Bayne. I had warm baby leeks & goats cheese, followed by a piece of pollock with spinach and broccoli. The chocolate warm pudding for desert was delicious.

A very convenient restaurant & enjoyable meal.